Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
72 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Terra Mystica» Forums » Organized Play

Subject: [Closed] Looking for 3 players for another player shuffle series (4 games) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steinar Nerhus
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JamesWolfpacker wrote:
6tevium, Stones, gambrinus, and jari

I think all of you are interested in playing in the Fire and Ice Test League, correct? I also think some of you are wanting to try 9 games in both tests? Are you sure you want to add these 4 (or 5) on top of those at the moment?

Not sure if you have me in the 9 game camp, so just in case I have been unclear elsewhere: I dont want 9 games at once in the test league. However I dont care if I play 4p or 5p (with a small preference for 4p since it is one less game).

A reason I want fewer league games is that I want to be open for this kind of stuff if it shows up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C TK
Canada
flag msg tools
Stones wrote:

A reason I want fewer league games is that I want to be open for this kind of stuff if it shows up.

Arguably, that's like saying you don't want to spend too much money on your rare chance to take a vacation because you want to make sure you have enough money saved up in case you get a chance to go on another vacation

Put another way though, if the majority of the BGG community is tied up between

1. the leagues
2. this experiment the F&I test leagues
3. SW's "country" tournament

Then anything else is likely to be held off until at least this experiment is over. After all, if I started a thread tomorrow with my own idea for a tournament, I'd have 80 people saying "sorry, busy with all the other tournaments that are going on right now."

All that being said, I totally get not wanting to start 9 simultaneous games (I personally haven't started a new non-league game in more than a month). Just figured you may not have considered it from this angle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 Geek Gold so that you can read this! :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
CTKShadow wrote:

1. the leagues
2. this experiment
I don't think anybody but the four of us playing the new player shuffle games are tied up by this experiment. Maybe James should avoid posting F&I tournament stuff into unrelated threads so that people (including you) don't confuse one with the other.

It's a pity that I can't really close this thread, as adding "[Closed]" to the subject obviously didn't help to prevent unrelated discussions here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C TK
Canada
flag msg tools
DocCool wrote:
CTKShadow wrote:

1. the leagues
2. this experiment
I don't think anybody but the four of us playing the new player shuffle games are tied up by this experiment. Maybe James should avoid posting F&I tournament stuff into unrelated threads so that people (including you) don't confuse one with the other.

It's a pity that I can't really close this thread, as adding "[Closed]" to the subject obviously didn't help to prevent unrelated discussions here.

Oops, I just read his post and assumed it was the F&I tourney based on "9 games"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jari S
Finland
flag msg tools
JamesWolfpacker wrote:

I think all of you are interested in playing in the Fire and Ice Test League, correct? I also think some of you are wanting to try 9 games in both tests? Are you sure you want to add these 4 (or 5) on top of those at the moment?

Yep. Bring it on

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philipp
Austria
flag msg tools
jsaarhel wrote:
JamesWolfpacker wrote:

Yep. Bring it on

What Jari said :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steinar Nerhus
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CTKShadow wrote:

Arguably, that's like saying you don't want to spend too much money on your rare chance to take a vacation because you want to make sure you have enough money saved up in case you get a chance to go on another vacation

Is that a bad way of thinking? It is exactly how I would be thinking in most cases.

gambrinus wrote:
jsaarhel wrote:
JamesWolfpacker wrote:

Yep. Bring it on

What Jari said :-)

I might have time later today to set up something (50% chance or so). If not today I will probably not have many chances for the next few days. I will need some time to figure out how to make identical setups and such (I know there is a description in another thread). If 6tevium confirms we might have a go at it.

Edit: Sorry about spamming your closed thread DocCool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steinar Nerhus
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stones wrote:
I might have time later today to set up something (50% chance or so). If not today I will probably not have many chances for the next few days. I will need some time to figure out how to make identical setups and such (I know there is a description in another thread). If 6tevium confirms we might have a go at it.

Seems like it is very easy (thanks DocCool for the geekmail with info!), so I can set it up today if you want to go ahead.

I will use all options and the new map (F&I side 1).

I will draw factions and their starting position at random.

I will use chess clock with 5 + 2 days, 12 h grace.

I assume you are all OK with this, so I will just create the games when I have time, unless you let me know here (and I read it) before I make the games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steinar Nerhus
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I made the draw, including the order of the players in the first game, which determines the order in all following games. It will be the following factions and order of play:

1 - Ice Maidens(green)- 6tevidim (A)
2 - Dwarves ----------- Stones (B)
3 - Chaos Magicans ---- gambrinus (C)
4 - Acolytes (brown)--- jari (D)

player position in games 2-4 will be:

BADC
CDAB
DCBA

Edit: drew color for Ice Maidens and Acolytes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Olander
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmb
Stones wrote:
I made the draw, including the order of the players in the first game, which determines the order in all following games. It will be the following factions and order of play:

1 - Ice Maidens ---- 6tevidim (A)
2 - Dwarves -------- Stones (B)
3 - Chaos Magicans - gambrinus (C)
4 - Acolytes ------- jari (D)

BADC
CDAB
DCBA

remember to draw colors for ice maidens and acolytes, unless you want people to be able to do so themselves in our 4 games, they were also drawn randomly, so all 4 games were alike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ataei
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Very important! Remember to have synchronized setup and rounds!

In all games the ice maidens have to place all 1st dwellings before any dwarves!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steinar Nerhus
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Per Olander wrote:
Stones wrote:

1 - Ice Maidens ---- 6tevidim (A)
2 - Dwarves -------- Stones (B)
3 - Chaos Magicans - gambrinus (C)
4 - Acolytes ------- jari (D)

BADC
CDAB
DCBA

remember to draw colors for ice maidens and acolytes, unless you want people to be able to do so themselves in our 4 games, they were also drawn randomly, so all 4 games were alike.

Ah, forgot... thx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steinar Nerhus
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JamesWolfpacker wrote:
Very important! Remember to have synchronized setup and rounds!

In all games the ice maidens have to place all 1st dwellings before any dwarves!

I dont see this as a must, in fact I dont think you have to play the games in parallell, you could also do it in series. It would change the dynamic a bit, but it could also be fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ataei
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Same goes for the dwarves, etc. Then every acolyte has to pick a BON before the first CM gets a BON. When one game gets in the next round, stop play in it until all games get there too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ataei
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Doc and I both agree on syncing the setup and rounds. In the first group we played we found that just a little non synchronization does give an advantage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ataei
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Also can we get game links please?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steinar Nerhus
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you play in parallell I agree it should be synchronized, but it could be interesting to see how strategies change if a game is completely finished before the next game starts.

Just made one game so far, as I want to get approval from players before I make the others:
http://terra.snellman.net/game/StonesShuffle01

Added colors for Ice/Volcano in my post above

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ataei
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
I would say their posts are approval enough at this point to make all 4 games, but you are right that they need to be reminded about the synchronization. I'd post it in the game chat too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ataei
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Stones wrote:
If you play in parallell I agree it should be synchronized, but it could be interesting to see how strategies change if a game is completely finished before the next game starts.

Just made one game so far, as I want to get approval from players before I make the others:
http://terra.snellman.net/game/StonesShuffle01

Added colors for Ice/Volcano in my post above

Playing in series would be interesting but definitely not fair!

Wow that setup certainly favors a faction and is fairly good for another!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ataei
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
In case anyone is interested.

Here is the DocCool group of games (half way into R2):

http://terra.snellman.net/game/PlayerShuffle09
http://terra.snellman.net/game/PlayerShuffle10
http://terra.snellman.net/game/PlayerShuffle11
http://terra.snellman.net/game/PlayerShuffle12

...that poor lonely unexplored eastern continent! laugh

Here is the Stones group of games (still in setup):

http://terra.snellman.net/game/StonesShuffle01Fixed
http://terra.snellman.net/game/StonesShuffle02
http://terra.snellman.net/game/StonesShuffle03
http://terra.snellman.net/game/StonesShuffle04

What happened to the 1st game that had to be fixed?

Also, it's kind of interesting for the Ice Maidens at the time of this posting: 3 players picked and THREE DIFFERENT FAVORS! wow Just Stones needs to take his favor. Hmmm... He should have been the first to pick a favor since he set up the game! whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ataei
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Wow, the DocCool series of games is finished. What are the results?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 Geek Gold so that you can read this! :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
JamesWolfpacker wrote:
The random gods gave us 1: Nomads, 2: Acolytes (brown), 3: Giants, 4: Riverwalkers (blue), which resulted in very messy games with a lot of aggressive moves, though these were unfortunately unevenly distributed: some were split in half or a crucial town hex taken, while others were left alone to connect. Lots of action in the west, while the east remained unused in most games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ataei
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
After most of the 5p and 4p Fire and Ice Test League games are finished, I would like to play another 4p shuffle series in which the initial game has the players pick the factions in their seats after seeing the setup. Then the players would have to play those factions in each seat. This would be to see if it makes a difference in the games.

I'd like to play with DocCool, PerOlander, and one other player who has played in this format.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Reitberger
Germany
N├╝rnberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How did you decide that riverwalkers have to start blue?
Very bad color for them, with green they might have been competitive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ataei
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
DocCool wrote:
JamesWolfpacker wrote:
The random gods gave us 1: Nomads, 2: Acolytes (brown), 3: Giants, 4: Riverwalkers (blue), which resulted in very messy games with a lot of aggressive moves, though these were unfortunately unevenly distributed: some were split in half or a crucial town hex taken, while others were left alone to connect. Lots of action in the west, while the east remained unused in most games.

Yeah, I saw that draw as possibly one of the most aggressive draws possible except Dragonlords are slightly more aggressive than Acolytes and Riverwalkers suffer on the original map. Perhaps if Halflings were selected instead of RW?

What was the final standings? It looks like it was a tie in points between kruppy and PerOlander.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |