Popular Tags: [View All]
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am making a wargame for PnP and the map covers 6 pages of A4. I want to post the game in several PDF files for ease of use. The map will be in one PDF file but will cover the 6 pages. I know how to transfer a file to PDF but want to ensure that when someone prints off the map they will all fit together as they should do.

A few questions that come to mind;
1. When I divide the map up does the size of each section have to be the same?
2. If the size of each section has to be the same size can one or more sections have part maps in them?
3. Can I actually just transfer the whole map into a PDF file and it will print at full size, ie 6 pages?
4. Are there any boxes I have to tick and what are Protect and Share on a PDF file and do I need to do anything with them?
5. I use Foxit Phantom PDF, would this affect someone trying to print from a different PDF such as Acrobat?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
FWIW, if it's important that the map have a specific physical size, then remember US printers are likely to be using 8.5"x11" instead of A4 paper (which is narrower and longer than US paper). So you might want to assume that each page is no wider than A4 and no longer than 11".

Beyond that, I have no useful advice, sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
FWIW, if it's important that the map have a specific physical size, then remember US printers are likely to be using 8.5"x11" instead of A4 paper (which is narrower and longer than US paper). So you might want to assume that each page is no wider than A4 and no longer than 11".

Thanks Russ, I have just measured my hard copy and yay, each sheet is around 10".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
Ewing
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Christmas Card Exchange: 2009 - 2014
badge
I play at EPGS on the 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month and if you live in Eastern PA, Western NJ or Northern DE ... you should too!
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:

That's pretty useful, actually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Piovezan
Brazil
Jundiaí
SP
flag msg tools
mb
whatambush wrote:
5. I use Foxit Phantom PDF, would this affect someone trying to print from a different PDF such as Acrobat?
It shouldn't be a problem, as the whole purpose of the PDF format is to make it print just the same everywhere.

As for the other questions, they seem tool-specific. Are you using Foxit Phantom for creating the PDF?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BozoDel wrote:
whatambush wrote:
It shouldn't be a problem, as the whole purpose of the PDF format is to make it print just the same everywhere.

As for the other questions, they seem tool-specific. Are you using Foxit Phantom for creating the PDF?

Yes, I am using Foxit Phantom for creating the PDFs, I am only using Foxit because it came preinstalled on the PC although I did download Acrobat to try to merge files but I have since overcome that problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Piovezan
Brazil
Jundiaí
SP
flag msg tools
mb
whatambush wrote:
Yes, I am using Foxit Phantom for creating the PDFs, I am only using Foxit because it came preinstalled on the PC although I did download Acrobat to try to merge files but I have since overcome that problem.
Can't give much help, then, I'm afraid. If you ever decide to use LibreOffice, give me a heads up (though I never really tried to use it for making maps).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls