United States
Floyds Knobs
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
Anyone play it at origins?

I talked to the lady at the booth about it. Do I get partial credit?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
KY
flag msg tools
Thematic Colors of Gaming Blog
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
creevedog wrote:
SeerMagic wrote:

I talked to the lady at the booth about it. Do I get partial credit? :)

Depends what details you got :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlotte Malone
United States
Floyds Knobs
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
creevedog wrote:
SeerMagic wrote:

I talked to the lady at the booth about it. Do I get partial credit?

Depends what details you got

Probably nothing you don't already know. It didn't make me want to play the game, whatever it was. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Kentorp
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
creevedog wrote:

Probably nothing you don't already know. It didn't make me want to play the game, whatever it was. whistle

That’s too bad. It’s been years since I last watched the show, but I’m quite excited about this game for some reason.

Still won’t buy it if it’s total bullocks…
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Fechter
Netherlands
De Goorn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Croaker13 wrote:
creevedog wrote:

That’s too bad. It’s been years since I last watched the show, but I’m quite excited about this game for some reason.

Still won’t buy it if it’s total bullocks…

Same here... Hasn't anyone played it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Stair
United States
Macon Area
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
not that I'm aware of and there are NO MINIS its sad because with minis i think i would have bought it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Fechter
Netherlands
De Goorn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dstair2002 wrote:
not that I'm aware of and there are NO MINIS its sad because with minis i think i would have bought it

I agree with you on the mini's. I would love to have seen this game with mini's...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
Australia
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be an extra cost but Hasslefree Miniatures have a few not Buffy models that could be used (Sadie, Witch Hazel and William)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Enriquez
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So it is coming out in 2 months and there is no information about any real details on the game? Is this unusual? I feel like I normally hear so much about games that gets me so psyched and the lack of info on this one just has me concerned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Fechter
Netherlands
De Goorn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was quite sceptic about the game, but the video which was posted online from some guys who played it at GenCon made me more optimistic about the game.

Did anyone else play it at GenCon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Enriquez
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend of mine did. I will speak with him later and update here if nothing else pops up on here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hall
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got in on a demo at GenCon this year and I really liked the game. My friend who demoed with me said it felt like Arkham Horror which he said he wasn't a fan of but enjoyed this game a bit more. I enjoyed the fact that there was a lot of co-op and table talk involved with this game. We worked together to resolve plots and we kept area's on lock down but once we resolved that third plot the boss came out and all of our careful planning basically went to hell...(I made a pun !!!) You have an apocalypse track that fills up with wound tokens and townie tokens. Wounds can be healed but townie tokens (aka dead civilians) cannot. We won on the very last action of our last player right before the baddies got to go and managed to defeat the master. If we hadn't we would have lost. I would definitely play this game again, enjoyed it very much and it was easy to grasp. I never felt hindered by too many rules, etc. Even if it wasn't your turn you were still involved in table talk looking for the best possible solution and trying to help out other players if you saw something of value that they could do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the feedback. Ever more pumped for it now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Enriquez
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I spoke with my friend.

In the game you play through a season against the big bad who has their own deck. Meanwhile, you have an event deck of episodes (from the show) that you have to manage around the board. He compared the experience to Pandemic. Here is a sample episode:

You take wounds similarly to Defenders in the Realm where you lose actions per wound. You are trying to protect humans from the vampires and demons. The vampires turn humans while the demons kill and increase the apocalypse track.

He said he enjoyed it and was his second favorite game from Gen Con. He played Giles and enjoyed the special abilities and felt it all connected very well with the show. He did not get a lowdown on all the characters, but heard that character expansions will happen if the game sells.

They spent too much time dealing with the episodes and did not do a good job protecting the humans who seemed ok initially before it all went to Hell (as it does in co-op games).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
flipscot wrote:
I spoke with my friend.

In the game you play through a season against the big bad who has their own deck. Meanwhile, you have an event deck of episodes (from the show) that you have to manage around the board. He compared the experience to Pandemic. Here is a sample episode:

You take wounds similarly to Defenders in the Realm where you lose actions per wound. You are trying to protect humans from the vampires and demons. The vampires turn humans while the demons kill and increase the apocalypse track.

He said he enjoyed it and was his second favorite game from Gen Con. He played Giles and enjoyed the special abilities and felt it all connected very well with the show. He did not get a lowdown on all the characters, but heard that character expansions will happen if the game sells.

They spent too much time dealing with the episodes and did not do a good job protecting the humans who seemed ok initially before it all went to Hell (as it does in co-op games).

It's so great to hear positive feedback. My friend got Gentlemen, so they were not allowed to talk!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Alexander
United States
St. Augustine
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played this at Gen Con and enjoyed it quite a bit.

Characters available to play are Buffy, Willow, Xander, Spike, Angel, and Giles. Each character has a different 'ultimate' ability and a few other stat differences I believe. They also each start out with a specific item.

As has been mentioned, the game is very similar to Arkham Horror, with the notable exception of the lack of die rolls. The randomization engine is drawing a card from the top of a deck and comparing an icon at the bottom. There are three different icons I believe (Pentagram, Ankh, and something else I don't recall), so a 'hard roll' is trying to match a specific icon with a draw, while an 'easier roll' is matching one of two icons with a draw.

You pick a big bad and he has a plot deck you eventually draw from, but first you have to draw from a 'monster of the week' deck. These are typically defeated by discarding a certain combination of items on thier space and making an 'Easy Roll'. If you fail the roll you can still beat the MotW by taking a wound and permanently losing an action. Once a certain number of MotW's have been defeated, you start drawing from the big bad's plot deck. I don't really remember what these were, but I recall they seemed similar to MotW's, but with a more global effect on the board. Once you defeat a certain number of plots you can defeat the big bad and win.

As for turn structure, you have 4 (I believe) actions per round and an ultimate. Each player takes an action on their turn - you can move to any space on the board, use an ability on that space (very similar to Arkham, and usually is picking up a specific item), grab a random item from the deck, fight a monster on your space, and maybe a couple other things. I seem to recall each player can only fight a specific type of monster without an item in hand - I played Spike and he could only fight demons, and without an item could only stun them, not defeat them.

Your ultimate ability gives you a unique and powerful once per turn power. If you don't want to use that power you can also use it as a standard action, but either way you have to draw from a 'bad thing' deck after you use it. As you have to use all 5 actions on your turn that means one 'bad thing' will be happening per player per round. This card usually adds monsters to the board (I only saw vamps and generic demons) as well as bystanders.

In addition to trying to defeat the MotW's and the big bad, you are trying to protect the bystanders that get seeded into the board. At the end of the round any bystander that is alone with a monster gets killed, and this populates the 'doom track' and leads to the end of the game. Other things can add to the doom track as well - example, Spike's ultimate ability allows him to vamp out and destroy multiple demons on his space, but he adds a token to the track.

I'm sure there are a lot of details I either don't remember or didn't encounter, but that is the gist of it. It seems like a slightly dumbed down, but also more streamlined Arkham. The art - all hand drawn, no crummy screencaps - is all fantastic.

As a big Buffy fan I'm really looking forward to this one. Solid, pretty replayable with the number of various big bads, co-op (which always gets to the table more in my house), flavorful, and very expandable.

I was told it is coming out Halloween weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
I also demo'd at gen con. Lots of small pieces but very flavorful if your a buffy fan I would suggest it. I demo'd having seen buffy but not recently. Played with 2 fanatics and they loved every card that flipped xD

Lots of decision making. Long game. Small pieces. Looks fun but probably needs focus to be entertaining otherwise it feels drawn out.

As a generic game fan it was fine. If your a buffy fan it feeds into all the greatest parts of the show.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron Murch
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Good to see so much positive feedback from Origins and Gen Con. Our team had a lot of fun running the demos!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier Domínguez
msg tools
Thanks everyone for the info. I can't wait for this game now. I just hope that the scenarios are not focused on the table talk aspect of the game, as I will most likelly play it solo, so Sweet and Gentlemen will have little to no impact...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls