Sean Druelinger
United States
Joppa
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can a single tank enter into a tank duel in a hex containing 2 tanks?

Thanks
Sean

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Logan
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sdruelinger wrote:
Can a single tank enter into a tank duel in a hex containing 2 tanks?

Thanks
Sean

Hi Sean,
Offhand I would say no and resolve that Melee using the normal Melee actions as a Tank Duel occurs between 2 vehicles only.

But if you'd rather handle it as an AP duel, one could do a variation of the Tank Duel mechanics with the player with 2 tanks having 2 possible shots. If the 2 tank player wins 2D6 roll for 1st shot, he shoots both tanks before 1 tank player.
If 1 tank player wins roll, he chooses which target for his 1 shot.
Retreats out of the hex after Duel would be handled the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Druelinger
United States
Joppa
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So you are saying that a tank that enters a hex with 2 enemy tanks can pick which one to duel? Or is it prohibited.

I think if they enter the hex with two tanks the entering tank should only attack one tank but both of the other tanks should be able to attack the tank.. with a bonus.

Additionally shouldnt there be an initiative bonus if the defending tank in a melee is in cover like trees?

thanks
Sean

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Walker
United States
Henry
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
'65 Squad Level Combat in Vietnam. On Kickstarter!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Additionally shouldnt there be an initiative bonus if the defending tank in a melee is in cover like trees?

That's a slippery slope. There isn't a bonus for terrain in infantry assault combat (at least not that I rmmember).

Does seem like you have a point with the 2-1 attack... let's see what Shayne says.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Logan
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="sdruelinger"]So you are saying that a tank that enters a hex with 2 enemy tanks can pick which one to duel? Or is it prohibited.

I think if they enter the hex with two tanks the entering tank should only attack one tank but both of the other tanks should be able to attack the tank.. with a bonus.

thanks
Sean[/q

First of all this is just spitballing some options, as this should be a rare circumstance.
In my earlier answer I did say that the hex with 2 tanks would possibly get 2 shots. If the assaulting tank got the first shot, he might destroy, disable or break one of the enemy tanks.

I do not think extra modifiers for terrain are needed as terrain is ignored in Melee.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Druelinger
United States
Joppa
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Picture the Tank Duel in the movie Fury. Picture the soviets ramming German tanks with their tanks. In a tank duel there should be a fair amount of maneuvering by both tanks. If I have a tank in terrain, I have most likely picked a spot that is optimal for my tank and anything in my covered arc. If I see a tank speeding toward me, as a tank commander I feel it would be advantageous to be the defender as the attacker is coming to me and I'm ready for it. I think the attacker should at least get the first shot. Of course if the defending tank is "Used" then roll off as per the rule.

A good order tank or tank crew would not be surprised by a loud ass tank rumbling up in front of it at high speed.

As for the multiple tanks in a hex. I routinely double up my tanks in a hex so I see the melee issue as a likely scenario. (At least for me )

BTW-- the game is very good... My friends and I are enjoying it alot!

Thanks
Sean

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls