21 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Opinions on Enemy spawn rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chiky Scares You
msg tools
mb
So, in my game whenever an enemy spawns, the players have to roll 1d4 to see which equipment it comes with, 1 roll for the armor and 1 roll for the weapon. Then they check the result with the enemy card and search in the armor and weapon decks the corresponding cards and attach them to the enemy.
What do you think about that? is it ok? or too complicated?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hibou
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
With Trigun being this lock consensus good read for so many people, I find it really bizarre that she's alive. There's a threshold where if she's still alive she should probably be murdalated.
badge
Born to be a king, I ask one thing in return: a front seat to watch Earth burn.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd just have an armor and weapon deck and attack the top cards of each. That way, there's forced variation and it takes less time to set up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sonora
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How many enemies are spawning per turn? Per game? How many cards in the equipment deck? Is each piece of equipment unique, or are they just a +1, +2, +3, etc.?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
ljtrigirl wrote:
I'd just have an armor and weapon deck and attack the top cards of each. That way, there's forced variation and it takes less time to set up.

I like this idea better. If you have separate decks for armor and weapons (?) then just draw the top card off each and place them somewhere associated with the monster that spawned. Saves you two die rolls, so no matter how frequently spawning happens, this is sleeker.

If "weapons and armor" is a single deck, maybe just keep drawing until you get one of each, then cycle the extra cards back into the deck.

Alternately, every card could represent one weapon and one piece of armor, so you only need to draw one card per monster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chiky Scares You
msg tools
mb
ljtrigirl wrote:

i did thought about this
i have one deck for enemy weapons and one for enemy armors, the problem is that, for example, the Ranged Guard need ranged weapons such as Guns or Shotguns, while the Melee Guard or the Executioner can't use them... And even the Melee Cultist can't use the same weapons as the Executioner
Maybe revealing cards until one aviable is shown? Then shuffling the rest back into the deck...
Because having a separated deck for each enemy type is mostly a nope for me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chiky Scares You
msg tools
mb
HaNd_SoLo wrote:
How many enemies are spawning per turn? Per game? How many cards in the equipment deck? Is each piece of equipment unique, or are they just a +1, +2, +3, etc.?

Enemies spawn with events, so it's not that often... There are 6 or 7 types of events, and one of those is Enemy Spawn, so...
And by now Equipments are like:
Short Sword: Damage +2, Attack 3d6, Critical x3
Leather Breastplate: Defence +4

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Metäl Warrior
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You could print the weapon and armor on the enemy card itself. That way you could customize the type of armor and weapon to enemy type. You can print multiples of the same enemy with different armor/weapon combination for added variety.

Potentially just as much variation depending on how many weapons and armor there are and how many cards you want in the game, but less dice rolling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Swanson
msg tools
It doesn't sound too complicated to me. It sounds WAY too slow, however. In this scenario, each enemy requires two rolls, and two separate card hunts - which may be quick - but could also drag on if either card is near the bottom of the deck. Not to mention that if you ever do add diversity to your enemies (more weapon cards, armor cards, etc), it will add even more potential time to the process of getting the enemy set up.

And all that before combat has even started! This would be a really cool system if implemented by an app or otherwise automatically via computer, but in a board game, you're going to have significant downtime and player disengagement, for possibly every spawn.

I encourage you to rethink your enemy spawn mechanic from a different angle; What if instead of telling you to find a specific card, the result of the d4 roll would be written directly on the enemy card? That enemy always has the same equipment, but WHAT the equipment DOES varies based on the roll. If size is an issue, consider Tarot or larger sized cards.

And by having the effects on the card, you wouldn't have to worry about each piece of armor/weapon being universally applicable to every enemy - you could give some enemies a lot more unique flavor.

Edit: What the person above me said, basically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hibou
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
With Trigun being this lock consensus good read for so many people, I find it really bizarre that she's alive. There's a threshold where if she's still alive she should probably be murdalated.
badge
Born to be a king, I ask one thing in return: a front seat to watch Earth burn.
mbmbmbmbmb
Card hunts can take a long time.

How many different types of weapons/items are there? Could you have 4 or 5 separate smaller decks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitri Sirenko
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
xchikyx wrote:
So, in my game whenever an enemy spawns, the players have to roll 1d4 to see which equipment it comes with, 1 roll for the armor and 1 roll for the weapon. Then they check the result with the enemy card and search in the armor and weapon decks the corresponding cards and attach them to the enemy.
What do you think about that? is it ok? or too complicated?

i would definitely avoid searching through the deck as much as possible. That mechanic by itself can work and has been used many times in other games. However, what you are doing is making that mechanic a very common occurrence as opposed to what I have seen in other games. Even if other games absolutely have to use the "search through the deck" mechanic, they make it a very rare event. In your design this seems to be something that will happen constantly and it WILL become a tedious and boring exercise for players. It will potentially waste time and make people lose interest. I think your best bet is to either think of a way to tweak this mechanic or completely change the design aspect of the equipment that the enemy comes with.
Is this equipment something that you can potentially loot once the enemy is defeated?
What i would go with is this:
- enemy appears
- on the enemy card you have a weapon and armor
- you roll for each to add a multiplier effect or whatnot
- then you battle
- when finished fighting you draw random loot cards from the item deck. Now in this scenario you could make it so that if the rolls you made previously made the enemy really strong, you get to pick up more cards. Lets say if you roll both dice and their values are less or equal to 3 you get 1 reward item card. If you roll both dice and their total values are form 4 to 6 inclusive you get 2 reward item cards and so on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chiky Scares You
msg tools
mb
3CreativeMinds wrote:

Is this equipment something that you can potentially loot once the enemy is defeated?
- enemy appears
- then you battle
- when finished fighting you draw random loot cards from the item deck. Now in this scenario you could make it so that if the rolls you made previously made the enemy really strong, you get to pick up more cards. Lets say if you roll both dice and their values are less or equal to 3 you get 1 reward item card. If you roll both dice and their total values are form 4 to 6 inclusive you get 2 reward item cards and so on.
The equipment can be looted after the enemy is killed. So, if you fight against an enemy using a Short Sword and you kill it, you can loot it and equip the Short Sword to your character.
The problem is that combat does not always occur right after the enemy is spawned. Most of them will be lurking around or hunting you.
Every enemy has a maximum of 4 aviable weapons and 4 aviable armors, and 1d4 must be rolled to determine what does it has, for example:
(I'm making this up)
Melee Cultist:
Weapon:
1- Short Sword
2- Long Sword
3-
4- Knife

Armor:
1- Chain Breastplate
2-
3- Leather Breastplate
4-

When the die is rolled in a number that has nothing on it, it wont have that equipment.

Regarding to time: Yes, it's been taking a couple of minutes to set the enemies when they are spawned during playtests. Not too much tho, as the Enemy Weapons and Enemy Armors decks does not need to be shuffled, so you can group them. But i'm still not sure if it will be welcomed by the players as you comment.
Making 4 Enemy Weapons deck is another option:
Low Tier Contact Weapon
High Tier Contact Weapon
Ranged Weapon
Boss Weapon

So each enemy would have it's tier assigned, and just drawing the first card. Something similar can be done with armors.
What do yoy think about this one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitri Sirenko
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
xchikyx wrote:
3CreativeMinds wrote:

- enemy appears
- then you battle
The equipment can be looted after the enemy is killed. So, if you fight against an enemy using a Short Sword and you kill it, you can loot it and equip the Short Sword to your character.
The problem is that combat does not always occur right after the enemy is spawned. Most of them will be lurking around or hunting you.
Every enemy has a maximum of 4 aviable weapons and 4 aviable armors, and 1d4 must be rolled to determine what does it has, for example:
(I'm making this up)
Melee Cultist:
Weapon:
1- Short Sword
2- Long Sword
3-
4- Knife

Armor:
1- Chain Breastplate
2-
3- Leather Breastplate
4-

When the die is rolled in a number that has nothing on it, it wont have that equipment.

Regarding to time: Yes, it's been taking a couple of minutes to set the enemies when they are spawned during playtests. Not too much tho, as the Enemy Weapons and Enemy Armors decks does not need to be shuffled, so you can group them. But i'm still not sure if it will be welcomed by the players as you comment.
Low Tier Contact Weapon
High Tier Contact Weapon
Ranged Weapon
Boss Weapon

So each enemy would have it's tier assigned, and just drawing the first card. Something similar can be done with armors.

yes i feel that having different decks for equipment is cleaner design. Just watch out for a design that will end up with like 10 decks. That would be too much. Personally if you had 6 decks on the table to draw from I wouldnt mind playing the game. Also the more decks you introduce the more cards you might end up with if you want a good amount of variety thats also something to watch out for in terms of printing costs and stuff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chiky Scares You
msg tools
mb
3CreativeMinds wrote:
xchikyx wrote:
3CreativeMinds wrote:

- enemy appears
- then you battle
(I'm making this up)
Melee Cultist:
Weapon:
1- Short Sword
2- Long Sword
3-
4- Knife

Armor:
1- Chain Breastplate
2-
3- Leather Breastplate
4-

Low Tier Contact Weapon
High Tier Contact Weapon
Ranged Weapon
Boss Weapon

yes i feel that having different decks for equipment is cleaner design. Just watch out for a design that will end up with like 10 decks. That would be too much. Personally if you had 6 decks on the table to draw from I wouldnt mind playing the game. Also the more decks you introduce the more cards you might end up with if you want a good amount of variety thats also something to watch out for in terms of printing costs and stuff

mmmm... the number of decks by now is... 5 + enemy weapons + enemy armors Dx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Armstrong
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about having three decks: low threat, high threat, and boss. Each deck would be a mix of armor and weapons. Enemies would be generic monsters (no "ranged" etc.) For each enemy spawned, draw two cards from the appropriate deck for their threat level. If the cards are both armor or both weapons, choose only one. Weapons can be melee or ranged; thus, an Orc who has a Crossbow is suddenly a Ranged Orc. Much less hunting for the "right" cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Reid
msg tools
Quote:
Low Tier Contact Weapon
High Tier Contact Weapon
Ranged Weapon
Boss Weapon

Instead of weapon tiers, what about individual enemy skill levels? On each weapon card there are stats for a low skill user, high skill user and whatever. Then you have two weapon decks. One for ranged, one for close. This would also carry over to the player characters. I do see a point in Boss Weapons being separate, because they may have special properties.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
There is an old Necromunda scenario in which zombies breed so much that it is hard to win the day. The spawning was controlled by rolls of D6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sonora
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xchikyx wrote:
Melee Cultist:
Weapon:
1- Short Sword
2- Long Sword
3-
4- Knife

Armor:
1- Chain Breastplate
2-
3- Leather Breastplate
4-

You could have the enemy cards set up like this and have a deck of "number" cards that are drawn when the enemy spawns. These cards would have numbers on the left edge aligned with the numbers on the enemy cards. Draw a card when the enemy spawns and slide the "number" card under the enemy card indicating which weapon or armor (if any) it has. If the enemy card is setup like above, the "number" card would look something like this:
|-------------------|
| |
| |
|<1> |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
|<3> |
| |
|-------------------|

Slid under the enemy card:
|---|----------------------|
| |Melee Cultist: |
| |Weapon: |
|<1>|1- Short Sword |
| |2- Long Sword |
| |3- |
| |4- Knife |
| | |
| |Armor: |
| |1- Chain Breastplate |
| |2- |
|<3>|3- Leather Breastplate|
| |4- |
----|----------------------|

At the end of his turn when the enemy is defeated, the player can go through the loot deck for the actual item card. That should accomplish what you are going for without slowing down play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chiky Scares You
msg tools
mb
HaNd_SoLo wrote:
xchikyx wrote:
Melee Cultist:
Weapon:
1- Short Sword
2- Long Sword
3-
4- Knife

Armor:
1- Chain Breastplate
2-
3- Leather Breastplate
4-

You could have the enemy cards set up like this and have a deck of "number" cards that are drawn when the enemy spawns. These cards would have numbers on the left edge aligned with the numbers on the enemy cards. Draw a card when the enemy spawns and slide the "number" card under the enemy card indicating which weapon or armor (if any) it has. If the enemy card is setup like above, the "number" card would look something like this:
|-------------------|
| |
| |
|<1> |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
|<3> |
| |
|-------------------|

Slid under the enemy card:
|---|----------------------|
| |Melee Cultist: |
| |Weapon: |
|<1>|1- Short Sword |
| |2- Long Sword |
| |3- |
| |4- Knife |
| | |
| |Armor: |
| |1- Chain Breastplate |
| |2- |
|<3>|3- Leather Breastplate|
| |4- |
----|----------------------|

At the end of his turn when the enemy is defeated, the player can go through the loot deck for the actual item card. That should accomplish what you are going for without slowing down play.
this one sounds cool too :o

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chiky Scares You
msg tools
mb
Hammuabi wrote:
Quote:
Low Tier Contact Weapon
High Tier Contact Weapon
Ranged Weapon
Boss Weapon

Instead of weapon tiers, what about individual enemy skill levels? On each weapon card there are stats for a low skill user, high skill user and whatever. Then you have two weapon decks. One for ranged, one for close. This would also carry over to the player characters. I do see a point in Boss Weapons being separate, because they may have special properties.

do you mean something like:
Cultist: Skill Level 1
Executioner: Skill Level 2
Hunter: Skill Level 3

Hunting Knife:
On Skill Level 1: 2d6, Damage +2, Critical x2
On Skill Level 2: 3d6, Damage +4, Critical x4
On Skill Level 3: 4d6, Damage +6, Critical x6

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Reid
msg tools
xchikyx wrote:

Hunting Knife:

Yeah, something in that vein. Flavor could be added by making the attacks varied in name as well.

Hunting Knife:
Proficient -- Stab : 2d6, Damage +2, Critical x2
Expert -- Deep Cut: 3d6, Damage +4, Critical x4
Master -- Double Slash: 4d6, Damage +6, Critical x6

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chiky Scares You
msg tools
mb
Hammuabi wrote:
xchikyx wrote:

Hunting Knife:

Yeah, something in that vein. Flavor could be added by making the attacks varied in name as well.

Hunting Knife:
Proficient -- Stab : 2d6, Damage +2, Critical x2
Expert -- Deep Cut: 3d6, Damage +4, Critical x4
Master -- Double Slash: 4d6, Damage +6, Critical x6

Cool, i like that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls