Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Blackwell
United Kingdom
Saltdean
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I may be being foolish, but just wanted to make sure I understood a couple of things about the rules:

1 There are the same 10 routes every game, but that they come out randomly, with 3 running at any one time

A It seems from the rules (granted, without seeing multiple route cards, so I'm only guessing) that being successful in a route is much more beneficial in Rupees/VPs than the actual delivery of the tiffins

2 There are exactly the same number of Tiffin Tracking cards, 10, which identify number of tiffins delivered (although this seems to actually be the number of routes as each route can have between 1 and 3 tiffins on it)

A These always come out in the same order, so you know what will be coming later, in terms of minimum tiffins to start a route and how much you will get for delivery

B The last two Tiffin tracking cards are effectively past lunch, hence the delivery scoring being sub-par on these last two routes

Have I got this straight?

Thanks,

M B

EDIT: d'oh! 20 routes but 10 played from one side of the 10 double-sided cards. And 9 tracking cards, but display across the 10 routes starting with 0 and the 8th card covering both 8 and 9, I.e. Doesn't change for the last 2 routes.

But the statements still stand with that in mind

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Hill
United States
WESTERVILLE
OH
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve:

1. Yes

2. Yes, but it depends on the number of tiffins placed on the route. Placing a tiffin gives you guaranteed points with but a single action (that doesn't even cost a card.)

3. The cards are labeled 0 through 8/9 which represent the number of completed routes. The final 3 routes all score based on the same card.

4. Yes.

5. Yes.

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Blackwell
United Kingdom
Saltdean
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Ken.

M B

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Maloney
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I'm stuck before I even get started. Rules state "a player may only play Tiffins on an unstarted route. So what happens after three players have placed a tiffin on an unstarted route? They're all started now, so how can anyone place any more? Playing a card allows players to add cubes to a started route, so does this mean that each route takes away one of the three actions until a route is completed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Once you have started all three routes, yes, you cannot place any more tiffins until one of those routes is complete and you put a new route card out. So for some of the game, yes, you will only have the choices to draw cards or play cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Hill
United States
WESTERVILLE
OH
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SkipM624 wrote:
Ok, I'm stuck before I even get started. Rules state "a player may only play Tiffins on an unstarted route. So what happens after three players have placed a tiffin on an unstarted route? They're all started now, so how can anyone place any more? Playing a card allows players to add cubes to a started route, so does this mean that each route takes away one of the three actions until a route is completed?
Think of it this way - you are placing tiffins on a bicycle route. Once the bicycle has left (aka you have placed the first rider), you can't add any more tiffins. He's gone.

So, once all three routes in play have been started, you can't place any more tiffins until one of the three routes have been completed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mister Higgins
msg tools
Skip -

I just started playing this weekend, and found that description in the rules to be a little ambiguous, particularly because the cubes represent both tiffins as well as progress markers along the route.

Here's the explanation which seemed to work for those I was playing with:

Cubes as tiffins:
On an unstarted route, you're looking to get some tiffins delivered on that route - so you place a cube on one of the three tiffin squares along the bottom of the route card. Once there is a sufficient number of tiffins / cubes set to be delivered on that route (as indicated on the Tiffin Tracking Card), that route can leave. (At which point, no more tiffins can be added to the route for delivered, as those bikes are already cruising away...)

Cubes as progress markers:
A Player with the appropriately colored Delivery card (or wildcard) can then start that route by playing cubes on that route. At this point the cubes no longer represent tiffins, they simply indicate progress along that route.

Once that route as full, rewards are paid out as outlined in the rules:
- based on how much "work" you did on that route, or
- whether any of your Tiffins were delivered on that route

Note that you do not have to have any Tiffins being delivered on that route in order to contribute to the progress track.

I hope that helps and sorry for the belated reply. As I mentioned we just started playing this recently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rael Dornfest
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a lovely way of explaining the difference and one very similar to the way I describe it myself when teaching the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls