Tiny Epic Kingdoms» Forums » Variants

Subject: Possible new rule (Borders) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
João Guisado
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I order TEK a few days ago and I've been reading the reviews and comments about it. One thing that pops up is that on TEK (without HC expansion) there's a lack of incentive to engage in combat, and even that the attacker ends up being punished. There's also an issue (supposedly) with mana being super overpowered and research Winning Condition being (almost) always the way to go.

So I had this idea to provoke war without rewarding it directly (so there's no direct need to do it) and with that making mana less available and research WC less viable. And it brings something that I think it's also missing from the game, the sense of home territory.

So this is my idea:

-Add a new area to the game - "Border". This would be the brown area of the map, divided by 4 (N,S,E,W).

-When patrolling you now have the option to go to the border. You have to pay one mana to do it. Only one meeple per border is allowed.

-When on the border the meeples don't produce any resources but have 3+ on war (They are on High Alert)

-If you do a quest action you don't have to be on the border to do it. This is because the border is not an actual area but a region between two maps.

-When you do a quest you now have to choose an area adjacent to the border you pass through. Ex: If your meeple is on an area adjacent to the North border and you do a Quest you can only go to areas of other maps adjacent to the north of those maps.

-For each opponents meeple you have on your home territory you lose one mana (this is due to a decrease on your population moral for having enemy troops on your territory)

Disclaimer: I haven't played the game. This suggestion is purely based on what I've read and watched. The suggestion is obviously open to tweaks and constructive criticism. Maybe what I'm suggesting is pure nonsense, maybe it's not.. Maybe it can be improved. English is not my native language, sorry for anything misspelled or something.

Please tell me what you think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Slaughter
United States
Alpharetta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest playing the game as designed before making any changes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João Guisado
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know, that's what I'll do. But I can't ignore what has been said here on bgg about the game. Therefore I just want to know if this idea can be something to implement if the game really is skewd twords mana and "peace" rather than confront.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a Variant, it should be in the Variants forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Slaughter
United States
Alpharetta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are threads here on BGG about how it is unbalanced because of the:
* Unbalanced ore and tower strategy
* Unbalanced mana and magic strategy
* Unbalanced aggressive military strategy

Given those - just play the game a few dozen times first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fiend
United States
Avon Lake
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Please tell me what you think.

I think you're on the right track. This game isn't what I hoped it would be and it definitely needs some variants to help it. Wars are very problematic in this game and +3 would be too much, +1 would be better. Instead of a Border area have them be in a water area as ships would seem the most logical transportation route for Questing.

An option I'm thinking of using for the base game is that the ONLY way to end the game would be to get your last Meeple placed. This way takes the Tower/Research strategy out of the equation and might make a more interesting longer game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls