Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Me
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Everyone,

Last year at Gen Con I had purchased Leviathans at the auction. It came with the main box, and the British and French expansions. It also came with 3 ships that the individual said were "promos." However, I can't find anything about the ships.

Below are pictures. Does anyone know what these are? They came with no cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Before Catalyst abandoned Leviathans there was some talk of introducing new factions, I believe one was a German faction. I wonder if these became promos when they dumped the game? Hence no cards or rules to play them. Shame really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miller
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely one of the unreleased factions. I spoke at length with the folks from Catalyst at Origins, and they have 7 completely finished new factions, and that they've not abandoned the game, but don't hold your breath for a few years.

Also, when they get going again, the original ships will be used, so that's something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
laserjudas wrote:
Definitely one of the unreleased factions. I spoke at length with the folks from Catalyst at Origins, and they have 7 completely finished new factions, and that they've not abandoned the game, but don't hold your breath for a few years.

Also, when they get going again, the original ships will be used, so that's something.

Well that's sort of bittersweet that they haven't abandoned it and the base game is still relevant but there's nothing to look forward to for a few years. Sheesh! This is such a good game. Why don't they just pull the trigger on a Kickstarter if they are concerned about risk. The fan base may not be there in a few years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Goodhand
United States
GSP Exit #20 (Seaville)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMzchf wrote:

laserjudas wrote:

Well that's sort of bittersweet that they haven't abandoned it and the base game is still relevant but there's nothing to look forward to for a few years. Sheesh! This is such a good game. Why don't they just pull the trigger on a Kickstarter if they are concerned about risk. The fan base may not be there in a few years.

That is indeed "bittersweet." Although I've been tempted to many times, I have not yet disposed of my collection (32 ships) yet. It has been moth-balled and backed away in a storage unit for possible retrieval. Maybe I'll dig it out when my grandson is old enough to appreciate it.

I was there at GenCon 2011 when a lot of models were handed out for participating in the various demo's being run. I saw whole tables full of ships. At the time, I did not scrutinize them for variations, but I suspect that the ones pictured above (if they do not match any of the ones in the Core Starter Set, may have been "Prototypes" used for play-testing and were expeditiously disposed of because they were no longer needed, ... RATHER THAN any intentional specially designed "Promotional" item with an added intrinsic value.

If you don't have a card for them, photo-copy one of the existing cards that match the Type- II/III or IV, and just change the name of it on the top with a sharpie or label maker (i.e. H.M.S. MISTER MISCHIEF") before laminating it. You will now have a duplicate "sister ship" to use in your tabletop battles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Johngee wrote:
MrMzchf wrote:

laserjudas wrote:

That is indeed "bittersweet." Although I've been tempted to many times, I have not yet disposed of my collection (32 ships) yet. It has been moth-balled and backed away in a storage unit for possible retrieval. Maybe I'll dig it out when my grandson is old enough to appreciate it.

I was there at GenCon 2011 when a lot of models were handed out for participating in the various demo's being run. I saw whole tables full of ships. At the time, I did not scrutinize them for variations, but I suspect that the ones pictured above (if they do not match any of the ones in the Core Starter Set, may have been "Prototypes" used for play-testing and were expeditiously disposed of because they were no longer needed, ... RATHER THAN any intentional specially designed "Promotional" item with an added intrinsic value.

If you don't have a card for them, photo-copy one of the existing cards that match the Type- II/III or IV, and just change the name of it on the top with a sharpie or label maker (i.e. H.M.S. MISTER MISCHIEF") before laminating it. You will now have a duplicate "sister ship" to use in your tabletop battles.

I'm not the one with the minis but...hmmmmmm...HMS Mr Mischief. I kinda like the sound of that. But sounds more like a WWII bomber or fighter than a steampunk regal airship You sort of made my point in your post. You've mothballed your copy though it sounds like you once played quite a bit. I honestly think if they wait too long to breathe life into Lev, the next new thing will eclipse it. I already backed Fleet Commander (basically Leviathans in space) because I'm a fan of this sort of battle theme and mechanisms. If FC is as good as I think it's going to be, my Lev game and collection may be reeking of mothballs until I play it with my grandson as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Goodhand
United States
GSP Exit #20 (Seaville)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMzchf wrote:

I'm not the one with the minis but...hmmmmmm...HMS Mr Mischief. I kinda like the sound of that. But sounds more like a WWII bomber or fighter than a steampunk regal airship :D You sort of made my point in your post. You've mothballed your copy though it sounds like you once played quite a bit. I honestly think if they wait too long to breathe life into Lev, the next new thing will eclipse it. I already backed Fleet Commander (basically Leviathans in space) because I'm a fan of this sort of battle theme and mechanisms. If FC is as good as I think it's going to be, my Lev game and collection may be reeking of mothballs until I play it with my grandson as well.

I traveled to GenCon 2011 with a group of friends and half of us loved Levs and bought a Core Set, while the other half bought Fantasy Flights Star Wars: X-Wing starter sets. I got some friends that tried the Lev demo's, but didn't buy it to give me their "promo" ships. So I came home with two sets of ships. I went to one on the Dice Dealers and said give me four each of a Green-d4, Blue-d6, Yellow-d8, Red-d10, and Black-d12, for extra dice. Then bought the British and French expansions and eventually another Core Set when I saw it at a Clearance price that I could not pass up.

I used to meet with a buddy from Philadelphia at least once a month to play and I also demo'ed the game myself at various clubs that I attend. When he went through a divorce and had to move, Leviathans faded in popularity, CGL did not produce the other promised expansions or Captains Box, and the MonstersInTheSky web site Forums when silent ... that's when I reluctantly got dragged into X-Wings. With the release of the first of four Disney SW movies, anything with that theme attached exploded. FF is making a ton of money with SW: X-Wing, SW: Imperial Assault, SW: Armada, SW: Rebellion, SW: CCG, and SW: RPG (half of which I now own).

I wanted to buy Star Trek: Fleet Captains and Battleship Galaxies, but hesitated because I already had Levs and was starting to acquire X-Wings. I'm now glad that I waited because they were both ephemeral. I was also tempted to support the Fleet Commander Kickstarter, but it came at a bad time when I was low on discretionary funds, having already invested (heavily) into keeping up with the X-Wing Waves 4, 5, & 6. Two new friends are getting it, so hopefully I get to try it when it arrives.

Back to Lev's before I start rambling. When CGL published one stat card for a German Type-II and a German Type-I that could be downloaded (as a teaser for the promised German expansion), I got an idea. That's when I printed 4 copies of the G. Cruiser Wiesbaden and 8 copies of the G. Destroyer Wolfen. Then with a P-Touch labeler and German-English dictionary, I came up with new names for each ship card before taking them to Staples to be laminated. I still don't have a G. Battleship, but I can play German Levs vs. British Levs or German Levs vs. French Levs with only the British and French models and these Do-It-Yourself stat cards.

I'm glad that someone somewhere is still enjoying this fantastic game system. It had so much potential. For instance: compare the Lev's Combat Resolution Mechanic (color-coded multi-sided dice) to that used in the Milton Bradley game Battleball and consider it's application to other light war games.

Have A Nic eDay ;o)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Choong
United Kingdom
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry this is massively late. I've been looking at your pictures and (allowing for breakages which have affected all three ships) what you have there is a) the British light cruiser b) the French light cruiser but in British metallic hull colour and c) the British battleship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls