Dark Souls: The Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Dark Souls or Massive Darkness rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Hey guys,

What do you think is it worth late backing Dark Souls or stick with Massive darkness KS campaign for a dungeon crawler board game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Martineau
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
There will be no explanation.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably depends on your interest level in Dark Souls.

For me, even if the game is mediocre, I'll use the awesome minis for DnD and such.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Dunks
United States
Providence Forge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark Souls is being billed as tactically challenging and very difficult to win. Having played the PnP demo, I believe it.

Massive Darkness... not so much, at least according to most of the comments. I've played Zombicide, upon which MD was based, and it was quite light.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Lamprey
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
You will die screaming.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also have high hopes for both. If I absolutely had to choose between the two, I would go for Dark Souls... Mostly because of my affection toward the video game series. I love the art, the themes and everything they have to offer so the chance of having them in mini form is great.

Had I never played the video games, I would probably go for Massive Darkness. It's a game that will be lighter, hit the table more often and have that CMON style that a lot of people seem to grab onto. I agree that Dark Souls is the bigger gamble. I also assume it will be very late to deliver.

I should add that I have backed both. I missed the Zombicide releases and never got into the game. There's so much content for it now that it may be impossible to catch up and missing all those (presumably numerous) CMON KS exclusives would be a bummer. Seeing as MD uses the Zombicide gameplay and it goes to six players, that makes it an easy sell for me. It's like getting into what makes Zombicide good but at the beginning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neither....

Mage Knight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're looking for a dark themed, difficult and sometimes frustrating game, are found of the IP and want lots of miniatures you could use in pretty much any fantasy game and as decoration, go for Dark Souls.
If you're looking for a dice chucker, silly game with a ton of pointy hats, go for Massive Darkness.

Honestly, both games look promising in their own way. I wouldn't have backed Dark Souls if not for the video game, and I like it at least because it made me want to play it again. I wouldn't back Massive Darkness because I didn't like Zombicide at all, and because I don't like the tons of KS exclusives and the add-on feast (although Dark Souls has a ton too.) Buying CMON KSed games at retail is such a waste.

I think Dark Souls has more potential and has more innovative mechanics. But I might be a tiny bit biased. I also like the theme and the art more. You also won't miss anything if you buy it at retail, except that you'll pay more for it, so I'd say: wait for the reviews. If you fear missing something out, go for Massive Darkness, as the exclusives will be a pain to find afterwards.

But yeah, Mage Knight is probably going to be a better game than both of these.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ive backed Dark souls..but after much thought decided against going in for Massive Darkness.this is why:...
Dark souls looks different has a different kind of feel to the game mechanics and is very much keeping within the DS theme!.

Massive darkness. seems to be a D&D version of black plague.and Im already backing Sword and Sorcery which looks like its a monster of a game..so I don't think theres enough difference in BP and MD.

just my thoughts on it guys
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Thanks for all the comments!

What for me as of now speaks against massive darkness is that it feels like it is similar to zombicide, don't get me wrong I love zombicide but that's just it, I already own Z:BP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Read the MD rulebook. You'll find plenty of differences between MD and Z:BP, plus a crossover pack lets you use your Z:BP mini's in MD.

Then read the DS rulebook. Okay, it doesn't exist.

That's the main difference between MD and DS. DS has more risk because you don't know what the ruleset is, and you don't know what the mini's look like. If you're looking for IP, then DS. If you're looking for a game and mini's, you know what you're getting with MD (although they tweaked the Shadow rules in one of the updates), and you don't with DS (although the designers have released Guildball, which seems to have some recognition on Dakka).

C'mon. Admit it. You're in it for the IP. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Sam and Max wrote:
Read the MD rulebook. You'll find plenty of differences between MD and Z:BP, plus a crossover pack lets you use your Z:BP mini's in MD.

Then read the DS rulebook. Okay, it doesn't exist.

That's the main difference between MD and DS. DS has more risk because you don't know what the ruleset is, and you don't know what the mini's look like. If you're looking for IP, then DS. If you're looking for a game and mini's, you know what you're getting with MD (although they tweaked the Shadow rules in one of the updates), and you don't with DS (although the designers have released Guildball, which seems to have some recognition on Dakka).

C'mon. Admit it. You're in it for the IP. laugh

Haha you might be on to something
I almost always play my games with very casual board gamers so MD might be better suited.

But then again DS universe is so cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I backed both. They look good in their own way, and if Dark Souls is as hard as I think it might be, I'm going to need a less stressful board game, which Massive Darkness should be (compared to DS).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
massive darkness seems like Black plague evolved in another setting.and as I backed original zombicide and got BP on release.i think I will give it a miss..but went all in on Dark souls...time for something different I thinkdevil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
The grace of Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only backed Dark Souls because I have Zombiecide:BP and enough Dungeon Crawler games already. However, not backing a CMON Kickstarter lately seems like a bad idea if there s any chance you might want the game later (just on cost vs. content)- Which I do think is a real possibility with Massive Darkness especially with the Zombiecide:BP compatibility. Can't get them all...or can you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Mitchell
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Strom40 wrote:
I only backed Dark Souls because I have Zombiecide:BP and enough Dungeon Crawler games already. However, not backing a CMON Kickstarter lately seems like a bad idea if there s any chance you might want the game later (just on cost vs. content)- Which I do think is a real possibility with Massive Darkness especially with the Zombiecide:BP compatibility. Can't get them all...or can you?

Well I am going broke trying... I backed both myself.

CMON is a know entity and the cross over pack makes it a no brainer for me.
I think that it will be a light, but fun game. Light games are best for the mixed group of gamers I play with.

Dark Souls is a gamble. I know that I like the video games. I'm hoping that they can pull off bringing it to the table top. I do see this as the type of game I will end up playing alone mostly, although it wouldn't hurt my feelings if my group wanted to play as well. One thing is for sure though, I'm going to get lots of practice painting armour...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff ...
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welp, I read that a Kingdom Death reprint is coming to KickStarter this year, so there's that...

Source: http://www.beastsofwar.com/liveblogentry/kingdom-death-confi...

Edit: Added source.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
skyzero wrote:
Neither....

Mage Knight.

Ewwwww the game only good for playing by yourself.

OT: I would go Dark Souls. Although, I'm bias because I scored that sweet sweet retailer deal. Seriously, how did that even make sense? I got EVERYTHING by just pre-ordering with a store for WAY less.

My only concern is painting these damn miniatures. With MD, there is a possibility for lots of colour. DS on the other hand . . . oh god . . . my poor black and brown bottles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Woo! Gonna get some
badge
44, that's me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
Monopoly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T H
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
broken clock wrote:
Monopoly

Cluedo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
The grace of Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark Souls is only for the Chosen Undead. Or the Ashen One. Which is the Chosen Undead. Anyway, if your not one of them - get Massive Darkness. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Strom40 wrote:
Dark Souls is only for the Chosen Undead. Or the Ashen One. Which is the Chosen Undead. Anyway, if your not one of them - get Massive Darkness. cool

Crap, I'm only a Bearer of the Curse, what can I do :'(

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls