Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
2 Posts

Stone Age» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Let The Games Begin - Citizens of Catan Redondo Beach Stone Age Session rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Conner Morlang
United States
Santa Monica / Westwood
California
flag msg tools
Go outside and play (games)!
badge
Me 10 years ago. Should I update?
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a great 4-player game of Stone Age at the Citizens of Catan Redondo Beach Library (north) meetup this 4th of July weekend.

Three players were new to the game, but were not new to worker placement. The group has played Lords of Waterdeep, Viticulture and others. One player (me) had played the game only once before, so some of the language independent iconography had us consulting the rule book.

The players were sharp and quickly picked up on the importance of the Field (food) track, Hut (love shack), tools and the Civilization options (river). This was impressive because the game appears to be about making buildings, but that is not an effective strategy on its own. They also noticed how important wood is for buying Civilization cards.

So, this all meant that the game was going to be a challenge to win. The mood was kept friendly, with take-backs being offered and used several times.

One player went for a balanced strategy and did well enough. At the end of the game, they had 3 tools, 7 people and an okay mix of Civilization cards. They ended strong, but not explosively. One unsuccessful build attempt hurt them mid-game. Their defensive plays vs the set-collection player were highly effective in determining the winner. 140ish points

Another player went for a dual strategy: 1. set-collection of the green Civilization cards and 2. Tool collection for risk mitigation and for the Civilization bonus. They built only 3 buildings. This player played well and ended up in 2nd place, only 10 points behind the winner. They got 49 point from the green Civilization cards and 20ish from the tools. The balanced player took the game from this player by taking the final green Civilization card. 170ish points.

The 3rd player went for a hut building strategy that did not turn out that great. They played well and made no errors. They were hurt by one bad die roll that lead to a Civilization worker not being able to collect their boat. It is hard to disrupt a player from building huts, but the strategy isn't explosive at the end of the game either. with around 50% of the points in Stone Age coming at the end of the game, I fear this strategy will not be a winner in most games. 130ish points

The final player went for a Food Track and population growth strategy. The Civilization cards were not friendly towards advancing on the Food track, only one Food track bonus came from a Civilization card. All the others were obtained when from sending a worker to the Field, thanks in part to the player to their right not always taking the Field hut when they were the 1st player. They ended on 8 on the Food track. With 5 Food Civilization multipliers, this lead to 40 points at the end of the game. Another 40 came from 10 People and 4 population Civilization multipliers. With those explosive 80 points and a mid-game completion of two of the buildings with selected resources being filled with lots of gold lead to: 140ish points

I think our next game will be quite different as only one player used their People defensively / disruptively. This turned out to be the action that caused the set-collection strategy to lose to the Food / population strategy. I believe players will make more defensive plays next game and the winning score will be lower.

My meta-game strategy will be to go all in on the hut building. This strategy appears to be the worst, so the hut bonuses on the Civilization track should be easy to grab.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are going to go all in on building when others, aren't I think you really need to try to shorten the game by hammering a single stack of huts.

Good luck on your next play of this fun game. I taught it to a bunch of high school seniors at a recent local con and they had such a blast. It was really fun to watch their interactions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls