Popular Tags: [View All]
John Velonis
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
Mmm... humans...
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played our first game and a question came up -- when ground units are transported to another system containing enemy units, are the ground units considered to have disembarked from their transports before combat begins, or after the first space combat round?

The rules don't actually say that the ground units are being carried on board the ships, just that the ships "bring them along", but thematically this is clearly the case, so the ground units must land on the planet at some point in order to fight enemy ground units during the first ground combat round. Thus the question arises, does the defender have the opportunity to destroy the transporting ships (during the first space combat round) before their ground units have disembarked?

LTP (p07) says "Ground units in the system are placed on the planet art", which to my mind implies that as soon as the units enter the system they are considered to have been offloaded onto the planet, before the combat begins. My opponent, however, was not convinced by this argument and wonders if there has been any official clarification, or some other rule that we overlooked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Immediately upon entering the system, before any combat begins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be exact, there is no concept of embarking nor disembarking. Ground units are in the system or not, they are never considered to be on the ships or off the ships specifically.

I suppose you can think of them being on-board ships when in a destroyed system, but again the rules simply refer to presence of the units to determine if they are destroyed, so thinking this way is simply a thematic construct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls