Betrayal at House on the Hill» Forums » General

Subject: Companion App rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian U

Wisconsin
msg tools
Hi Everyone,

I've been teaching myself how to develop android apps and Betrayal at House on the Hill has been one of my gaming group's favorite games.

Since it was more of a learning experience I didn't really check if there were similar apps, but upon finishing I saw there was already a few out there.

I'm currently deciding if I should release it to the store, since this is my first app I'd need to pay $25 for an dev account to be able to publish to the store, so I wanted to see if there was interest in a companion app. The app will be completely free and will continue to be updated with new features. I will also try to update with the expansion after it comes out.

My app currently offers a quick way to determine the haunt/traitor, as well as up to date survivor/haunt tomes. It also includes an 8-die roller with a lock/reroll feature.

I don't have stat tracking yet, but it could be something to add in the future if people are interested.

The big thing I can offer so far is that my manuals are completely up to date with formatting to make key elements and rules easier to see. The reviews of the only other app on the Google Play Store often claims that the manual information is incorrect for various haunts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you gotten permission from Hasbro? Because it sounds like you are using copyrighted text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian U

Wisconsin
msg tools
It's definitely something I've thought about. I also think Wizard of the Coast owns the copyright for the manuals. However, there are several other player aids available that use the text for non-commercial personal use.

However, if there is enough interest in the app, then I would definitely go through all proper channels before making it publicly available on the App Store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Feldmann SoFrankly
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WotC is actually part of Hasbro....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian U

Wisconsin
msg tools
I suspected that was the case and I'm not surprised...

Still, it doesn't really affect much. The app only improves the experience for plays who already own their product.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
bCub wrote:

Still, it doesn't really affect much. The app only improves the experience for plays who already own their product.

Actually, if it contains all of the haunts and information from the Survivor's Guide and Traitor's Tome (and with a built in die-roller to boot!) then it makes pirating the game stupidly easy for anyone who has an inclination to do so. All that remains to be (illegally) reproduced are the cards and tiles, which are not exactly difficult to PnP.

This "companion app" sounds like it contains the beating heart of the game. Proxy minis can be found elsewhere.

I don't know what other people's apps may or may not contain, but I could easily see THIS one being a problem for Hasborg. And they wouldn't even be wrong to be pissed, honestly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian U

Wisconsin
msg tools
Player aid rule books as well as the official ones can be found online for free. There are also fan made character trackers and a fan traitor/haunt app(slightly outdated) available through the play store for free. So really if someone wanted to pirate the game then they could have been doing so already.

The fact that Hasbro hasn't taken any legal action to removing the already available tools probably indicates that they don't really care and fan made tools have not made much if any impact on the actual sales of the product.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Holt
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stewi wrote:

Actually, if it contains all of the haunts and information from the Survivor's Guide and Traitor's Tome (and with a built in die-roller to boot!) then it makes pirating the game stupidly easy for anyone who has an inclination to do so. All that remains to be (illegally) reproduced are the cards and tiles, which are not exactly difficult to PnP.

This "companion app" sounds like it contains the beating heart of the game. Proxy minis can be found elsewhere.

Any photocopier or scanner/printer could copy the same "beating heart" just as easily...much more so than the room tiles. Don't get so *frumple* about it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.