Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I correct in interpreting that "placing" and "growing" are not the same? For instance, fertilizer causes two sections to be added when bamboo "grows" (which only the gardener can do), but not when it is "placed", such as by the Rain effect or when a new irrigated tile is placed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just read the answer in the FAQ. Apparently there is no funtional difference between the two terms. Fertilizers causes two sections to be added whenever bamboo is added for any reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bella
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
csouth154 wrote:
Fertilizers causes two sections to be added whenever bamboo is added for any reason.
Unless you are already at 4 (or start at 3 and get to 4 with the first addition).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Litespeed Rider wrote:
csouth154 wrote:
Fertilizers causes two sections to be added whenever bamboo is added for any reason.
Unless you are already at 4 (or start at 3 and get to 4 with the first addition).

Yup. I'm clear in that part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
csouth154 wrote:
Am I correct in interpreting that "placing" and "growing" are not the same? For instance, fertilizer causes two sections to be added when bamboo "grows" (which only the gardener can do), but not when it is "placed", such as by the Rain effect or when a new irrigated tile is placed?
When I use a search function on a digital copy of the rules, I only find one location where Bamboo is "placed" and that is for Rain.

The player may place a Bamboo section on the irrigated plot of his choice, up to a limit of four sections per plot.

Note that wording is focused on what the player does, not what the bamboo does. There is a difference in perspective.

Meanwhile for Fertilizer,

Fertilizer increases the growth of bamboo on its plot. Each time the bamboo grows, two sections are added instead of one (subject to the usual 4 sections maximum).

So it may be useful that the FAQ emphasizes the connection but I would not be able to say the rules alone made any distinction regarding term usage here. Any conclusion in favor of a distinction would be stretching things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TVis wrote:
When I use a search function on a digital copy of the rules, I only find one location where Bamboo is "placed" and that is for Rain.

The player may place a Bamboo section on the irrigated plot of his choice, up to a limit of four sections per plot.
The rulebook uses forms of "grow" everwhere else. If no distinction was intended here, the omission of "grow" is an error.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Barticus88 wrote:
TVis wrote:

The rulebook uses forms of "grow" everwhere else. If no distinction was intended here, the omission of "grow" is an error.
I think the difference comes from making the player the frame of reference versus the bamboo. That might be called inconsistent voice rather than inconsistent term usage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven F.
Sweden
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TVis wrote:
Barticus88 wrote:
TVis wrote:

I think the difference comes from making the player the frame of reference versus the bamboo. That might be called inconsistent voice rather than inconsistent term usage.

I think I agree with you there. I say "think" as English is not my language. Is it possible to grow something? In Swedish it would be impossible. You cultivate something and it grows, I suppose?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fomalhaut wrote:
TVis wrote:
Barticus88 wrote:
TVis wrote:

I think I agree with you there. I say "think" as English is not my language. Is it possible to grow something? In Swedish it would be impossible. You cultivate something and it grows, I suppose? :D
I will sidestep that specific language question by instead giving this explanation of the game activity:

A player manually "places" a wooden bamboo segment onto the tile. This segment represents that the bamboo "grows".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls