Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nancy Durgin
United States
Tijeras
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Specifically for Ivana Lopez' disadvantage ("When she moves to a location, delay every character at that location")?

At first I looked through the rulebook and found the location cards (which obviously *are* locations) described as locations in their own section separate from the Compound, and decided the Compound wasn't a Location.

But then I realized there are so many actions/things that apply to "characters at the same location" (discarding items to prevent effects, etc) that clearly did intend to include the Compound?

So if the Compound is a Location, then Ivana's ability is brutal, especially if you are playing 2 player and the other Survivor is Susan Davis.... (I can't really just avoid moving both of them anywhere, in a 2 player/solo game!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D. Kelley
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The compound is indeed a location!

So your interpretation of Ivana's ability, while harsh, is correct.

It is very important with her to carefully time her movement, choosing when to activate her out of your two characters. If she moves to a location (including the compound) FIRST, her ability causes no negative effect.

She's actually tougher in a 3 or 4 player game than a 2 player game, because there are just so many people bouncing around.

As a side note, don't leave Susan Davis sitting at the compound! Move her out to a location, gathering resources, and have her transfer those resources to someone else to run them back to the truck. Susan is useful as long as she has someone else to do the transportation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nancy Durgin
United States
Tijeras
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification.

I got my butt thoroughly kicked in my first game (Mac, Ivana, Kai, Susan). That was with ignoring Ivana's "ability" when she returned to the compound.... So it would have been even worse if I had done it right!

I left Susan fighting off the marauders, so she did get to do something!

Susan plus Ivana seems harsh, but I also am sure I didn't play optimally at all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D. Kelley
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It can be tough to have two survivors who both don't like to move (for different reasons, in this case)! Try pairing them up, separately, with a hero each to carry their stuff for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Norwood
United States
Graham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Come visit me at GamerChris.com for all sorts of chewy, gamery goodness!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification! We had this same question on Saturday, but it hadn't been asked here yet. Thankfully, we played it right (which was ugly for Ivana, but was extremely useful for Frieda).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Bartolowits
msg tools
So, if Ivana moves to a location by herself, does she also get delayed? Either by herself or with others characters?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Gousis
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, Ivana only delays other character at the location she moves to. She is annoying, but not that annoying
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Andrews
United States
Aliso Viejo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
MonkeyGoose wrote:
No, Ivana only delays other character at the location she moves to. She is annoying, but not that annoying
Oh Smeg! I just played with her for the first time and did the literal read of her ability and had her get delayed to!

So how many other instances is the Compound considered a Location? That one threw me for a loop too.

Delayed in California
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D. Kelley
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The compound is always a location, except that it can hold any number of characters, and you don't make threat rolls there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Artl
United States
New Berlin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GameMasterX0 wrote:
The compound is always a location, except that it can hold any number of characters, and you don't make threat rolls there.

Currently playing my first game...after reading the Miriam Bennett rule clarification here on BGG, I guess her ability is an exception to the compound always being a location since she doesn't have to discard a resource when moving to the compound. Seems a little inconsistent.
shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D. Kelley
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Biker1999 wrote:
GameMasterX0 wrote:

Currently playing my first game...after reading the Miriam Bennett rule clarification here on BGG, I guess her ability is an exception to the compound always being a location since she doesn't have to discard a resource when moving to the compound. Seems a little inconsistent.
shake

Miriam's ability discards resources from the location'a supply. The compound IS a location, but it does NOT have a supply. The truck is a different beast entirely
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls