Hide
5 Posts

Zooloretto» Forums » General

Subject: Expansions: need info on which to buy or not? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Grant F.
msg tools
I am clued out as to which expansion to buy if any. Maybe mini #1 or #2. Is Exotic and XXL worth it? Which ones really improve the play or should I buy none at all?

I got the Boss one only and haven't opened it.

Any help appropriated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
All of them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Whaley
New Zealand
Castor Bay
flag msg tools
Darius I – 73rd Great Khan of the Illustrius Barbarian Horde, Duque San Lorenzo, Marquis de Feltón, Chief of the Zayante, Baron von Whaleyland, Lord Kennedy
badge
Arrgh!
mbmbmbmbmb
IMHO, the minis are the least fun expansions. Individually they add to the game, but together they are just messy. I prefer playing with all three large expansions + the Familiarisation Area, and only those (except for a random selection of promo Bonus Enclosures like Gorilla or Polar Bear). The large expansions mesh really well together but individually feel a bit off balance. XXL, which is the weakest of the bunch, improves both Exotic and Boss greatly. Boss is probably my favourite but without the distraction of Exotic, it becomes a bit overpowered. You really need all three (+ Familiarisation Area, because otherwise your puzzle is incomplete!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually think the small promos gathered into the Rio Grande promo packs are well worth it. I play with all of them except the construction site ones. Those are a bit uncharacteristically evil to use in the game. I like the saving book. The end game bonuses are also a neat thing to add in to keep players from always going after their favorite animals. The petting zoos are a nice place to make a few extra money tokens for babies and the extra small enclosures are just good to be able to buy to dump a few animals for extra points. The miscellaneous promo animals just give a variety of sometimes silly sometimes useful abilities to alternate in your games for the first (or first few) people to fill the large enclosure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Saari
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I concur that the small expansion sets are worth buying for fans of Zooloretto. Each has its own nuances and charms without taking too much away from the fundamental game play. You can easily mix and match them to taste.

I have not played any of the large expansions. From reviews that I have watched/read, I have never been convinced they are as worthwhile. With that said, I can't speak from experience on those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls