United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
Loves Theme
badge
Des Moines Area Boardgamer
mbmbmbmbmb
So if you have the upgrade and the mill built you can produce on 4 different hexes (including the mill hex)and the mill counts as a worker as well correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zen
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
twitch.tv/zenxacred
badge
follow me on twitter: @zenxacred
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. Remember the mill doesn't produce twice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xenothon Stelnicki
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, basically. I would just clarify re: that last bit that the mill will produce as though it were a worker when that territory is activated". In no other way is it like a or count as a worker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Pearson
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
Loves Theme
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right it just counts for production. But with it and the upgrade you can choose 4 hexes for production.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paweł Bedz
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
repthrd wrote:
Right it just counts for production. But with it and the upgrade you can choose 4 hexes for production.
You can choose 3 (different than hex with mill) with upgrade. Mill hex auto-produces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederik
Belgium
Kruishoutem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
misioooo wrote:
Mill hex auto-produces.
And any workers on the mill hex auto-produce too, I suppose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Exoow wrote:
misioooo wrote:
Mill hex auto-produces.

Yes, you can check this on page 18 in the paragraph of text just below the mill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike B
Canada
Whitby
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:
Exoow wrote:
misioooo wrote:
Mill hex auto-produces.

Yes, you can check this on page 18 in the paragraph of text just below the mill.

I actually played this wrong my first 2 games, since I played that only the mill itself produced.

This makes the mill so much better than I originally thought
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jono D
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hang on let me get the Mill understanding correct.

Ignoring upgrades lets say I've got three territories, two with workers and one with just the mill. If I produce and select the two territories without the mill that have workers they will both produce and the mill will also produce 1 on its territory correct?

Now if I have the exact same above scenario but the mill territory now has three workers on it and I select produce, choosing the two territories without a mill. They will both produce as normal but the mill territory will now produce 4 (because it has three workers + the mill) even though I didn't select it? I always just thought it would only produce 1 since I didn't select it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space intentionally left blank]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormzors wrote:

Ignoring upgrades lets say I've got three territories, two with workers and one with just the mill. If I produce and select the two territories without the mill that have workers they will both produce and the mill will also produce 1 on its territory correct?

Now if I have the exact same above scenario but the mill territory now has three workers on it and I select produce, choosing the two territories without a mill. They will both produce as normal but the mill territory will now produce 4 (because it has three workers + the mill) even though I didn't select it? I always just thought it would only produce 1 since I didn't select it?
Your example is correct, the territory with the mill may always be selected to produce (you don't even need to control it, but that would put the resources under an opponent's control) with the mill counting as a worker for production purposes as well as all other workers on the territory also producing (it seems that opposing workers would also count for this, but that would give even more resources to the opponent)

My understanding is that this was changed relatively late in development which might be the reason for your misunderstanding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Pearson
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
Loves Theme
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great sounds like I am now playing this right. Love the mill!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
Stormzors wrote:

Your example is correct, the territory with the mill may always be selected to produce (you don't even need to control it, but that would put the resources under an opponent's control) with the mill counting as a worker for production purposes as well as all other workers on the territory also producing (it seems that opposing workers would also count for this, but that would give even more resources to the opponent)

Yes, you're absolutely right, it's written on page 18 in the paragraph of text just below the mill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick and Julia Olmstead
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I have this down and I believe the answer is already contained in the discussion above, but just for completeness' sake:

I have a mill. I select the produce action. I can choose up to three territories with workers and produce on them. I also have the ability to choose to produce with the hex with the mill on it. That could be my 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th hex chosen, depending on how many other hexes I have chosen to produce. If I choose to produce with the hex with the mill on it, not only does the mill produce its resource (worker, steel, wood, grain, etc.), but any workers on that hex with the mill also produce that same resource along with the mill. That said, I can only activate a hex one time during my produce action. (Morten - thanks in advance if you confirm this understanding. A player did read p. 18 of the rules to the table. There were differing interpretations of the language.) [For my part, I interpreted it as above, even though I now see there's a parenthetical that is helpful.]

For everyone else's sake, here's the relevant provision from p. 18: Whenever you take the Produce action, the Mill may produce as if it were a worker. If there are workers on the Mill’s territory, they may also produce (it’s an extra territory for production).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pjolmstead wrote:
I think I have this down and I believe the answer is already contained in the discussion above, but just for completeness' sake:

I have a mill. I select the produce action. I can choose up to three territories with workers and produce on them. I also have the ability to choose to produce with the hex with the mill on it. That could be my 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th hex chosen, depending on how many other hexes I have chosen to produce. If I choose to produce with the hex with the mill on it, not only does the mill produce its resource (worker, steel, wood, grain, etc.), but any workers on that hex with the mill also produce that same resource along with the mill. That said, I can only activate a hex one time during my produce action. (Morten - thanks in advance if you confirm this understanding. A player did read p. 18 of the rules to the table. There were differing interpretations of the language.) [For my part, I interpreted it as above, even though I now see there's a parenthetical that is helpful.]

For everyone else's sake, here's the relevant provision from p. 18: Whenever you take the Produce action, the Mill may produce as if it were a worker. If there are workers on the Mill’s territory, they may also produce (it’s an extra territory for production).

That is correct, assuming that you have upgraded to be able to produce on three territories, not counting the mill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick and Julia Olmstead
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much, Morten. Hope you had a pleasant train trip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I didn't even think about someone considering the "It's an extra territory for production" language to suggest you could pick the hex normally AND have it auto-produce, doubling the output. Good to have a thread I can cite if I need to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Pearson
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
Loves Theme
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GAFBlizzard wrote:
I didn't even think about someone considering the "It's an extra territory for production" language to suggest you could pick the hex normally AND have it auto-produce, doubling the output. Good to have a thread I can cite if I need to.

Maybe I am confused, but you CAN NOT have the same hex produce twice. Hence the - "That said, I can only activate a hex one time during my produce action. "

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
repthrd wrote:
Maybe I am confused, but you CAN NOT have the same hex produce twice. Hence the - "That said, I can only activate a hex one time during my produce action. "
Sorry, I meant I agree.

It just didn't occur to me that some people might TRY to argue for double produce. If they do, I can now say that morten confirmed that interpretation illegal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Normally you can only produce on two different territories. If you have a Mill, the Mill's territory is a third territory for production, and the Mill produces on that territory as if it were a worker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Pearson
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
Loves Theme
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GAFBlizzard wrote:
repthrd wrote:
Sorry, I meant I agree.

It just didn't occur to me that some people might TRY to argue for double produce. If they do, I can now say that morten confirmed that interpretation illegal.

Gotcha there has been lots of misinterpretations in this thread I think!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pjolmstead wrote:
Thank you very much, Morten. Hope you had a pleasant train trip.

Thanks, I spent it trying to keep up with threads here on BGG - my subscription fees is going crazy at the moment .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait so can mill double-produce or not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Pearson
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
Loves Theme
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:
Wait so can mill double-produce or not?

If you mean can you select the same territory twice no you cannot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bendig
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
It was previously mentioned that the Mill can produce even if the territory is occupied by an opponent. If the Mill is built in a Village and it produces Workers will they immediately be sent back to your Home Territory. If so, since this isn't Combat, is there any loss of Popularity?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rob: A worker isn't able to enter any territory controlled by an opponent, so you would not be able to use a Mill to produce a worker on a territory controlled by an opponent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls