Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicole Stephens
United States
Palmdale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Everyone!

So I have asked for help with this before, but I am at a point where I am a bit stuck. I play games with my parents every weekend, and have for over a year now. We have played quite a few games, and for the most part, they have enjoyed them all. I am looking for some more games to play with them and I am a bit stuck, I can't seem to find a common thread in the games they love, verses the games they disliked, so I am hoping that you guys will maybe see something that I am missing, and give me some good recommendations as well.

No Horror/Supernatural themes, or Fantasy

Games my Parents loves

27th Passenger
Click Clack Lumberjack
Codenames
Legacy:Testament of Duke De Crecy
Letters From Whitechapel
Escape: Curse of The Temple
Lords of Vegas
Catan
Splendor
Ticket To Ride
Telestrations

Games they like

Camel Up
Cat Tower
Augustus
Istanbul
Cockroach Poker
Love Letter
Power Grid
Sheriff Of Nottingham
Carcassonne
Pandemic

Games They disliked

CV
Scoville
Colt Express
Galaxy Trucker
King Of Tokyo
Jamaica
Survive: Escape From Atlantis
Tobago
Yedo
Flaspoint: Fire Rescue

[Edit] Forgot a game (or more) shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Brien
United States
Connellsville
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
seems they like light to midlevel abstract games that allow for thinking and not a lot of direct player conflict...

I don't know, Im just guessing....

Five Tribes
Quadropolis
Sushi Go Party!
La Isla
San Juan
Love Letter
and MAYBE Keyflower
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It may not be as simple as finding a common thread? For instance, if I look at the games I most enjoy, there's a wide variety of game types/mechanics.

Some potential suggestions based on what they do like though:

Carcassonne
Coup
Five Tribes
Hanabi
Kingdom Builder
Mysterium
Niagara
Saint Petersburg
Spyfall
Stone Age
Takenoko
Thurn and Taxis
Tokaido

How are they with an auction mechanic? If they don't mind it in Power Grid then they might also enjoy:

Medici
Power Grid: The First Sparks
The Princes of Florence
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicole Stephens
United States
Palmdale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sao123 wrote:
seems they like light to midlevel abstract games that allow for thinking and not a lot of direct player conflict...

I don't know, Im just guessing....

Five Tribes
Quadropolis
Sushi Go Party!
La Isla
San Juan
Love Letter
and MAYBE Keyflower

Love letter is in the games they like category

I know they like interaction most of the time, so Keyflower was one I was already considering.
Quadropolis is a solid choice too, that game looks great. I will read a bit more into La Isla and San Juan, Thanks.

joshnh wrote:
It may not be as simple as finding a common thread? For instance, if I look at the games I most enjoy, there's a wide variety of game types/mechanics.

Some potential suggestions based on what they do like though:

Carcassonne
Coup
Five Tribes
Hanabi
Kingdom Builder
Mysterium
Niagara
Power Grid: The First Sparks
Saint Petersburg
Spyfall
Stone Age
Takenoko
Thurn and Taxis
Tokaido

How are they with an auction mechanic? If they don't mind it they might also enjoy:

Medici
The Princes of Florence

Sorry I forgot to add Carcassonne, they enjoyed it, but it was solidly in the "like" category

I actually own Hanabi and haven't played it yet, I need to get that out and give it a try.

I previously owned Kingdom Builder, Coup, and Takenoko, and played them with my husband and Brother in law, and they just fell really flat for us, so I never got around playing them with my parents.

Some of the others look great, and i will look a bit more into them, Thanks!

Oh, also they seem to enjoy the auction mechanic in general, so I will look into those as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicole Stephens
United States
Palmdale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Team D20 wrote:
joshnh wrote:
I agree. It could simply be how good of a mood they are in when you teach them the game.

Still, some ideas:
Suburbia
Above and Below
Lords of Waterdeep
Ra
Stockpile
Airlines Europe

Those last three suggestions are better with 4 or 5 players than 3, but I think they all stand a chance. They've been universal hits when I've taught them.

I have the app for Suburbia, and while I love it, I worry about the bookkeeping involved in the actual physical game, how difficult is it to keep track of during play?

Generally we play with 4 or 5 as my younger brother or husband will join, so that isn't an issue, Stockpile and Airlines Europe look like good choices, my only concern would be if maybe Airlines Europe is maybe a bit to close to Ticket To Ride
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian S
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on what you have said, they will probably enjoy:
Castles of Mad King Ludwig
Dixit
Bohnanza

Tough to gauge if they like 7 wonders because it's somewhat tableu building similar to CV, yet it's one of highest rated family games out there...
7 Wonders
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicole Stephens
United States
Palmdale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Team D20 wrote:
tygerzroze wrote:
Generally we play with 4 or 5 as my younger brother or husband will join, so that isn't an issue, Stockpile and Airlines Europe look like good choices, my only concern would be if maybe Airlines Europe is maybe a bit to close to Ticket To Ride
Airlines Europe is from the same designer and is often referred to in my gaming circle as "Ticket to Ride plus".

I will think about it, my parents do love Ticket to Ride, so it would make sense, I just don't keep a very large collection, so I prefer not to have to similar of games.

sohszehan wrote:
Based on what you have said, they will probably enjoy:
Castles of Mad King Ludwig
Dixit
Bohnanza

Tough to gauge if they like 7 wonders because it's somewhat tableu building similar to CV, yet it's one of highest rated family games out there...
7 Wonders

I have Bohnanza, another game that somehow has not made it to the table, Castles of Mad King Ludwig I used to own, and at the time I didn't think my parents would quite understand how to play, so I traded it, now I am regretting that actually lol, that is on my wishlist again.

Also tableu building itself doesn't seem to be the issue as they like Splendor and that is a light tableu builder, but I think the iconography in 7 Wonders may be a bit to much for them.

Oh and also, how is Dixit, I have heard it compared to Apples to Apples, and my mom likes that game, but my dad and husband hate it, so I don't want anything to similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
- 1000 7 Wonders (do not think there is a game in it)

Perhaps: Veritas, no cards, no dice, mankala movement; the game is intendedly not complete, you have to provide the tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about The Downfall of Pompeii, Above and Below, The Adventurers: The Temple of Chac, Saboteur (compilation editions) or Karuba?

Edit - scrap the adventurers game, I hadn't seen you mentioned no dice lol!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh and forgot Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King. Has auction mechanic in
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
euronoob

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tygerzroze wrote:
Oh and also, how is Dixit, I have heard it compared to Apples to Apples, and my mom likes that game, but my dad and husband hate it, so I don't want anything to similar.

Dixit is nothing like Apples. Apples is about persuading the player in the hotseat and/or guessing what they *will* pick; Dixit is about figuring out what they *already* picked. If Codenames and Letters from Whitechapel are what they love, this will be right on target for them. It's essentially a deduction game. Dixit is well-loved among everyone I've ever played it with.

If you end up with a copy of Dixit, an interesting mashup that's available to try is to play Codenames using Dixit cards. (There's a Codenames: Pictures game coming out soon(?), too.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
euronoob

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I take it "no dice" was just a figure of speech/pun, given that several of the "loved" games are dice heavy 43
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicole Stephens
United States
Palmdale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
euronoob wrote:
tygerzroze wrote:

Dixit is nothing like Apples. Apples is about persuading the player in the hotseat and/or guessing what they *will* pick; Dixit is about figuring out what they *already* picked. If Codenames and Letters from Whitechapel are what they love, this will be right on target for them. It's essentially a deduction game. Dixit is well-loved among everyone I've ever played it with.

If you end up with a copy of Dixit, an interesting mashup that's available to try is to play Codenames using Dixit cards. (There's a Codenames: Pictures game coming out soon(?), too.)

Okay, well then I will look into it a bit more, thank you!

euronoob wrote:
I take it "no dice" was just a figure of speech/pun, given that several of the "loved" games are dice heavy 43

Well Their absolute favorites out of their loved games are letters from Whitechapel, Ticket to Ride, Splendor and telestrations, so only one of them has dice. Dice are fine, I guess it is more of chaotic games they don't really care for, and a lot of them have dice. I know that Escape! Curse of the temple is chaotic and has dice, but that seems to be the exception, and while my parents really loved it, my dad can't play it anymore because it stressed him out to much. Also Lords of Vegas has a lot of dice, but we rarely rolled them, we negotiate and roll maybe a handful of times any given game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Box Bot Alec
United States
New York
flag msg tools
If they love ticket to ride and Settlers of Catan, they will definitely like Carcassonne
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicole Stephens
United States
Palmdale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cardboard Robots wrote:
If they love ticket to ride and Settlers of Catan, they will definitely like Carcassonne

That is already in the like category, they enjoyed it, but it wasn't a huge success.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Castles of Mad King Ludwig (building your own castle, more complex than Alhambra)
Alhambra (building your own walled city - similar but different than Carcassonne)
Stone Age (fun worker placement)
Acquire (stocks)
PitchCar (dexterity)
Steampunk Rally (racing game where you gradually build your machine. Involves dice placement and drafting, like 7 wonders)
Kingdom Builder (abstract game where the special abilities and victory conditions are different every game)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
euronoob

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tygerzroze wrote:
That is already in the like category, they enjoyed it, but it wasn't a huge success.

Sarah's recommendation of Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King is probably worth a look - I'd tentatively call it Carcassonne 2.0, in the sense that it has some similar shape (placing tiles, matching landscape features) but is a quite different game. Players set tiles in their own individual village areas rather than a communal area.

The auction mechanic is a sort of blind-bid/price-setting. Each turn, players draw and set 3 tiles in front of them, then simultaneously set hidden prices for those tiles. The price you set is both 1) the price your opponents pay if they buy the tile in front of you and 2) the price *you'll* end up paying if they don't buy them.

I had low expectations because it superficially seemed like Carcassonne+ - the gameplay itself is quite different, though. We haven't played a ton of it yet, but we like it a lot so far thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McClure
United States
Fowler
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first instinct was to suggest a game with lots of dice, Alien Frontiers. There are lots of dice, but they aren't used in the typical way that dice are used.

Then I looked at some of the games I've played recently, and saw a couple of Tom Jolly games that might fit the bill. I think they've both been recently reprinted by ffg. Cave Troll, a fairly light to mid level area control game; Drakon (third edition) is a tile laying dungeon crawl game. Drakon may have a little too much conflict, but there are really no dice.

With a firm nod to some newer titles you might consider any of the three finalists for the spiel des jahres. Codenames, Imhotep, or Karuba. Not a dice among them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicole Stephens
United States
Palmdale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone! I got some great suggestions. I ended up getting Dixit in trade and think that will be a success. I am still looking into a couple others a bit more, especially getting Castles of Mad King Ludwig again, and also Suburbia, Above and Below, and Isle of Sky.

I forgot to add no fantasy either, they just usually don't quite get into that, Above and Below might work as long as the stories don't included anything supernatural or magic, if the fantasy is of the mellow sort, it again, might work.

Thanks so much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Woody
United States
Pottsboro
Texas
flag msg tools
I'm trying to reform though.
badge
On the restless road to nowhere, there's no certain peace it seems.
mbmbmbmbmb
If they like player interaction without dice you could play Pocket Imperium.
It's a really mean game though, probably the most brutal game that I have ever owned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Above and below is not that fantastical, just little short paragraphs asking you chose such as meeting an old woman and helping her or ignoring her or even stealing from her, obviously a little more expanded lol!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicole Stephens
United States
Palmdale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SaggyUK wrote:
Above and below is not that fantastical, just little short paragraphs asking you chose such as meeting an old woman and helping her or ignoring her or even stealing from her, obviously a little more expanded lol!

I am glad to hear it, that bumps it up higher on the list for sure, I think it is a game my husband and brother in law may even like because the choices would remind them of fantasy Dead of Winter lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Concept is good.

Maybe Machi Koro?

Everyone will love Dixit...in fact, I'll check back in to hear what they thought of it.

Oh and look into Spyfall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tobago
Via Nebula
Cuba

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicole Stephens
United States
Palmdale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mad Math wrote:

Tobago was a huge flop for my parents, which is sad since I love that game.

The others I will look into a bit more Via Nebula is on my wishlist already, purely for how pretty it is, but I need to watch some gameplay videos, and Cuba looks interesting, so I will read up a bit more on that. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |