Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Leahy
Ireland
Cork
Cork
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm wondering what people's win % for Urbion is?

I'm sitting at 36% at present, after 87 plays (32/87).

I did give myself "immunity" for 10 plays in order to figure out the game and get to grips with a strategy, but I think I've recorded everything from then.

I end up playing 6-8 games in a session now, and on a session to session basis I'm slowly pulling that figure up, but hoping for anything more than a 50% win rate in a session seems like a fantasy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wilmer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I generally don't record plays or win percentages but my initial plays were certainly a high percentage of losses.

It took quite a few plays to realise the most efficient ways of balancing the asymmetrical number combos then embarrassingly even more to realise that card counting with the discards was even more important.

I started playing with my discard pile open and checking often to see how many of each dream had been discarded to know what to try and push for next, as well as how many nightmares I would have to deal with. After that my victories increased to perhaps 3-4 out of 5. Thematically I'd like to think the king of dreams wants to keep tabs on what all the dreams are up to.

The expansions to my mind also makes the game easier overall, especially the arch squares and meta dreams. The book of powers is also great, I usually draw at least one to mix it up a bit, just don't draw too many!

In all of the oniverse games to date knowing the distribution of cards/tiles certainly gives an advantage, but Urbion victories seem much more sensitive to this information than others.

I'd rank the importance of discard knowledge in Oniverse games as:

Urbion > Castellion > Onirim > Sylvion.

Generally I don't tend to look at the discards for Onirm or Sylvion, it feel like cheating for some reason. However Castellion wins often need certain tiles to complete those all important final formations; plus the chameleon power means you search the discard often anyway getting a feel for whats used even if not deliberately checking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Leahy
Ireland
Cork
Cork
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play with an open discard, but don't get into studying it until I'm a few cards from home.

I will admit to doing full on card piles for some games, but got deathly afraid of the potential for full-on AP, and stopped.

I guess if I'm to up that %, it's the way to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lola S
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was at about 48% win percentage after 27 plays and have a goal to get to 50%. I was playing a lot but put it down a while ago. I should really to get back to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'm probably close to 50/50 but may be fooling myself.

I've found (for me) controlling the order of the doors really helps. That and after many games, finally realizing the asymmetrical card distribution!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan C
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose."
mbmbmbmbmb
Robrob wrote:
I think I'm probably close to 50/50 but may be fooling myself.

I've found (for me) controlling the order of the doors really helps. That and after many games, finally realizing the asymmetrical card distribution!

Could you bee thinking Onirim?

I sit at about 30% (Urbion/Equilibrion).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Leahy
Ireland
Cork
Cork
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, as I said, I hadn't played open discard for a long time but said I'd try again.

Last night, won 4/7, and 2 of those 3 I lost were due to a LOT of early chaos cards all landing on one side.

Tonight, won 4, lost 0. All comfortable. Once you're familiar with the game, laying out your discard pile so you can count cards is a MASSIVE game swinger. You can mitigate against a lot of draws with the info in your discard pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wilmer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good to hear! Have you tried with the expansions yet? The book of powers allows the difficulty to be adjusted quite nicely. I haven't felt the desire to move up to the even harder variant yet(3 or 4 discards per book reveal) but always draw at least one or two books when I play now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Leahy
Ireland
Cork
Cork
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was under the impression that the expansions actually make the game easier: is that the case?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wilmer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TLR: They both give more options - which to me makes Urbion a bit easier overall with a caveat on the books of powers - don't draw too many, discarding more than 4 cards will make it much harder.

Longer version:

With the meta's and arch-squares you have 8 dual use cards and four extra districts to balance (with affinity to any element). Overall I feel the extra options in card use and placement outweighs the problem of having to balance 4 extra districts before the deck runs out. If you can achieve perfect balance a couple of times in a game, you only need to stretch those 8 extra cards over 2 districts. Generally I always add in the expansion as it is nice to have more options with card plays turn by turn.

With the book of powers - some of them give pretty powerful extra actions that can save quite a bit of time, but at the cost of discarding a card at each use. To counter this boon further, each book revealed at the start removes 2 dreams from the deck not including chaos cards(or 3 or 4 in the harder variants). Depending on how many cards you tend to be left over with in a normal game, losing 2-4 cards is not too bad, however which cards you lose at the start can be vital, as losing most of one dream type means certain number combos have to be avoided. Therefore drawing more than 2 or 3 books could make the game much more difficult, which may be counteracted only slightly by adding in the meta and arch squares as well.

For me the books of powers brings more variety to the game as it adds up a push your luck element to setup as well as altering playstyle depending on which books are revealed.

So adding in both makes the game a bit easier, but discarding more than 4 cards with the books of powers will likely raise the challenge much higher.

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wilmer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not going to edit that emote, made me smile whistle

Thumb up
 tip