Stephen M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

NEXT SESSION >>> Wednesday July 6, 2016.
GAMES >>> There are usually 50-100 games to choose from.
WHERE? >>> THE LOUNGE of the Canadian Legion Branch 351 - Centertown, 330 Kent Street (The Montgomery Legion)
WHEN? >>> Gaming starts at 6pm and goes until 10
PARKING: Kent and Somerset have parking, as well as the nearest side streets which are Gilmour, Maclaren, Cooper and Lisgar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another fun night at Montgomery Legion.

I started out by teaching Greg, Alain, Frank and Danny Airlines Europe, a route building and stock holding game. The game started out slowly with each of us adding just one route at a time in order to minimize our cash outlay and maximize the number of stock certificates we took into hand. Then, slowly we began to lay our stock certificates down as the first scoring round seemed imminent. Like most of us, Greg felt that the scoring round came up just a bit too early. The game continued with some of us taking clear majorities in some airlines and others (such as brown) going back and forth. The play of the day was Danny's early entry into Air Abacus which accumulated him enough points over the final two scoring rounds to secure him a narrow victory over me.

Next, Frank and Danny were nice enough to teach me London (first edition), a card driven, Martin Wallace game about rebuilding London after the Great Fire. In the beginning it seemed like Misery City as everytime you "run" your city you accumulated negative scoring poverty cubes. I worked hard to shed them off. The focus of my tableau was to have some ambient powers that helped me avoid taking some poverty cubes and earn cash for boroughs of the city I occupied. My tableau was pretty large which meant I had a slow turnover on "running" the city as it took a while to rebuild it up and that, until I expanded to enough boroughs, I took on bunches of poverty cubes. Danny's tableau had some interesting powers that allowed him to exchange lots of cards from his hand for more desirable ones on the board. Frank seemed to have a VP generating focus to it. Both Danny and Frank had more compact tableaus that allowed them quicker turnover and gave them fewer poverty cubes. By the end of the game, I was able to "run" my city pretty regularly without taking on additional poverty cubes and earning me some quick cash. This was enough to earn me a narrow victory. Fun game that somewhat reminding me of a train game since we would build our cities and then "run" it to derive all the benefits from it.

Other games played included Steam, German Railways and Tichu.

See you all next week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls