Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Sears
United States
Oldtown
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just used that heading to get lots of views to this thread as those seem to be the hot topics (so sue me).

I haven't been on here as long as many of you but just wanted to voice my thoughts on some issues.

I came to the BGG a few months ago and loved the resources available. I regularly check the front page to see what hot deals there may be or if there are any recent threads which may be interesting to me. I have added comments and posted a few threads of my own and enjoy as well as appreciate the community's response here on the geek. The few PM's I have sent to admins with questions have gotten quick and helpful responses. Needless to say I like the Geek and board games in general.

While looking at some of the (to me) interesting threads I have found several to get off topic or develop more into debates then discussions. When I find these I usually read through the entire thread to understand both sides of the issue before posting a response to the original poster, if I think it necessary to post at all. It seems, again to me, that a lot of the debate comes from simple misunderstandings.

Here on the Geek we make up a community. Many different people with different ideas and even different understandings of the same words. Language, unfortunately, isn't an adequate means to fully communicate everything we are trying to communicate. Take away from it further the ability to use tone of voice, body language or any of the other forms of communication, putting it into plain text, makes it even harder to understand someone else. Add to that each individuals precepts and their understandings of the definition of all the various words used and you really get confused.

In addition to the wonderful guidelines placed by the administration:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/BoardGameGeek_Rules (and they show the guidelines below for reference when you are posting a thread)

I wanted to add a few of my own which I think would benefit us all to keep in mind.

1) Read an entire post or thread before commenting (along with this more responsibility on the OP to moderate their own thread to keep it on topic)

2) Try not to ASSUME anything (we don't really KNOW each other here)

3) Ask someone to clarify the definition of something if you are unsure as to what they mean when using a certain term (this will help us avoid making assumptions).

4) Listen to what others have to say with an open mind.

5) As best you can try to explain exactly what you mean in well thought out sentences.

6) Be open to criticism (this is a PUBLIC forum and other people who disagree with you are welcome to comment and you are welcome to PRIVATELY message any other user as well as moderate your own thread)

A person can only get offended if they take offense. We all have the ability to CHOOSE how we act and what we say.

...maybe I will come back and add more later (or you can add your own below) but I just wanted to make those points. Hopefully, something in here has benefited you and will help the BGG to continue to be an inviting community for ALL different types of gamers with ALL their various individual likes and dislikes.

Your comments are WELCOME and INVITED. I will moderate this thread and try to keep it on topic. Oh and try to put lots of THUMBS UP and comments so it keeps this thread alive so EVERYONE can benefit (at least that's my intent). Please VOICE your comments about how WE can make the BGG forums and community better.

Thanks for taking the time to read. GAMES ROCK!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jur dj
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: FREE Euro, Ameritrash GeekGold!!
This is a sympathetic initiative, and it's basically "how to behave on a web forum 101". Don't expect too much effect though.

And, this being "how to behave on a web forum 101", change the thread name, because misleading thread names are not done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sears
United States
Oldtown
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How to behave on a web forum 101
Yea, well, I pretty much said it all. I guess it was more for me voicing my opinion on all those other threads instead of posting to each of them and fueling the fire. Hopefully, some will find it and some will benefit.

And I don't expect a huge effect or any at all but if it benefits at least one other person then GREAT.

Thanks, for posting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Fischer
United States
Wheat Ridge
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: FREE Euro, Ameritrash GeekGold!!
I want my free GG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Fischer
United States
Wheat Ridge
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: FREE Euro, Ameritrash GeekGold!! Forum Posting 101
Awesome! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sears
United States
Oldtown
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wahoo!! Go DUCKS!

And now thanks to the Geek Cents we can tip each other more often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
7) Try not to regurgitate the same common sense advice 2,000 other posters have already posted over the last 6 months because a 10 watt lightbulb suddenly went on over your head or you just joined the site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Taavet wrote:
Just used that heading to get lots of views to this thread as those seem to be the hot topics (so sue me).

I haven't been on here as long as many of you but just wanted to voice my thoughts on some issues.

I came to the BGG a few months ago and loved the resources available. I regularly check the front page to see what hot deals there may be or if there are any recent threads which may be interesting to me. I have added comments and posted a few threads of my own and enjoy as well as appreciate the community's response here on the geek. The few PM's I have sent to admins with questions have gotten quick and helpful responses. Needless to say I like the Geek and board games in general.

While looking at some of the (to me) interesting threads I have found several to get off topic or develop more into debates then discussions. When I find these I usually read through the entire thread to understand both sides of the issue before posting a response to the original poster, if I think it necessary to post at all. It seems, again to me, that a lot of the debate comes from simple misunderstandings.

Here on the Geek we make up a community. Many different people with different ideas and even different understandings of the same words. Language, unfortunately, isn't an adequate means to fully communicate everything we are trying to communicate. Take away from it further the ability to use tone of voice, body language or any of the other forms of communication, putting it into plain text, makes it even harder to understand someone else. Add to that each individuals precepts and their understandings of the definition of all the various words used and you really get confused.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/BoardGameGeek_Rules (and they show the guidelines below for reference when you are posting a thread)

I wanted to add a few of my own which I think would benefit us all to keep in mind.

1) Read an entire post or thread before commenting (along with this more responsibility on the OP to moderate their own thread to keep it on topic)

3) Ask someone to clarify the definition of something if you are unsure as to what they mean when using a certain term (this will help us avoid making assumptions).

5) As best you can try to explain exactly what you mean in well thought out sentences.

6) Be open to criticism (this is a PUBLIC forum and other people who disagree with you are welcome to comment and you are welcome to PRIVATELY message any other user as well as moderate your own thread)

A person can only get offended if they take offense. We all have the ability to CHOOSE how we act and what we say.

...maybe I will come back and add more later (or you can add your own below) but I just wanted to make those points. Hopefully, something in here has benefited you and will help the BGG to continue to be an inviting community for ALL different types of gamers with ALL their various individual likes and dislikes.

Your comments are WELCOME and INVITED. I will moderate this thread and try to keep it on topic. Oh and try to put lots of THUMBS UP and comments so it keeps this thread alive so EVERYONE can benefit (at least that's my intent). Please VOICE your comments about how WE can make the BGG forums and community better.

WOW! surprise

I had to quote that entire thing again because....Well, because it just seems so ... So PURE.

It's like looking out on a meadow covered in freshly fallen, virgin snow in the morning....

It really takes me back to about 1994 or so. Back when we thought the "inter-tubes" could actually be some sort of ridiculous fantasy-land utopia of shared thoughts and ideals debated over while digital angels flitted about our avatars' heads.....

Aaaaah.... It's nice to think on what could have been. meeple

Too bad that's been proven completely wrong over the last TWENTY YEARS OR SO.

Welcome to the internet. Hope you enjoy your visit!
shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty M
Ireland
Fermoy
Co Cork
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rokkr wrote:
7) Try not to regurgitate the same common sense advice 2,000 other posters have already posted over the last 6 months because a 10 watt lightbulb suddenly went on over your head or you just joined the site.

Sums it up perfectly. Have a thumb, Rik.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Heberer
United States
Lake Stevens
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy, that escalated quickly. I mean that really got out of hand fast.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just goes to show there are people in the world that recognize someone is doing something a little naive, and just ignores it an moves on. And there are others that stop and take time out of their day to tease this person. I never really understood the point of that.

Hey, what the hell was the point of that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i7dealer wrote:
Just goes to show there are people in the world that recognize someone is doing something a little naive, and just ignores it an moves on. And there are others that stop and take time out of their day to tease this person. I never really understood the point of that.

Hey, what the hell was the point of that?

It's not the naivete I was taunting, but his smug sounding spiel.
The bold crap really irked me.
If he'd attempted the same tired "hey guys! Here's some of my original thoughts" I mightn't have bothered.

If I can save just one person from online pedagoguery, that's GREAT!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sears
United States
Oldtown
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazing. You guys made my point better then I could have.

Amendments to the original post:
a) It has also been proven that we do need to be told things thousands of times before we get it through our thick skulls (sad isn't it). Others don't have common sense or don't use it and so it is good to try and help them get some.

b) No one is perfect and neither is the internet. It sure as heck won't ever get that way without anyone trying. I for one don't want to stand around and watch something I care about be destroyed by others who don't care about it or aren't willing to stand up and do something.

c) And IF after reading my post you wouldn't have assumed that I was talking to you specifically and chosen to take offense to it then you wouldn't have had to flame me for posting it. Wait didn't I already mention that concept in the original post?

There now we have some nice debating maybe more people will take interest.

REALLY has the world/internet come to this point? I don't think I am naive but merely hopefull and optimistic. But we do all have our own perspective and opinions don't we. GREAT!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Taavet wrote:
No one is perfect and neither is the internet. It sure as heck won't ever get that way without anyone trying. I for one don't want to stand around and watch something I care about be destroyed by others who don't care about it or aren't willing to stand up and do something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh my god...

gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sears
United States
Oldtown
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both really thought out and well explained comments. Thanks for contributing.

Nazhuret wrote:
Oh my god...

And this from an atheist. Made my day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
Taavet wrote:

There's alot of people who dont do this in the 'real world', so why do you expect it to magically happen on the internet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Butler
United States
Eastport
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Taavet wrote:
While looking at some of the (to me) interesting threads I have found several to get off topic or develop more into debates then discussions.

I have no problem with threads that get slightly off topic. Sometimes it will turn a somewhat pedestrian thread into something more interesting - and debates can be very interesting at times. One thing I really hate to see is an interesting debate, slightly off topic, being overly moderated.

Taavet wrote:
Language, unfortunately, isn't an adequate means to fully communicate everything we are trying to communicate. Take away from it further the ability to use tone of voice, body language or any of the other forms of communication, putting it into plain text, makes it even harder to understand someone else.

I know a lot of people don't like to use them, but emoticons can help convey some intention.

These are just a couple of my thoughts on the subject. I don't know if anyone else has already posted this as I didn't read the whole thread before posting this (I hope the wink emoticon got across that I was kiddng with that last sentence )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Butler
United States
Eastport
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Taavet wrote:
I for one don't want to stand around and watch something I care about be destroyed by others who don't care about it or aren't willing to stand up and do something.

I'm no fan of flaming, but I've seen flaming going on since (to my knowledge) AOL and Prodigy were the only places to participate in "bulletin" boards and, so far, the internet hasn't been destroyed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sears
United States
Oldtown
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jamesdavis wrote:
There's a lot of people who don't do this in the 'real world', so why do you expect it to magically happen on the internet?

I don't expect anything to magically happen. But as I stated I hope and try to do something about it. Just because a lot of people don't or do something doesn't mean it can't change. And that change can come from one person.

dano19606 wrote:
1) Change a pedestrian thread into something more interesting.
2) Emoticons can help convey some intention.
3) The internet hasn't been destroyed

You're right. Off topic threads can be more interesting as well as lively discussions (which people often associate with debates ). They can also have two threads, one on topic and start another off topic, so that both are intact and anyone can participate in either the original 'boring' thread or the new 'hot' thread. That way the original poster doesn't have his thread derailed into something he didn't want.

And emoticons (bold/italics/strikethrough/underline) do help to better communicate things while writing. Any way you look at it though language even when spoken is often communicated inadequately and becomes misunderstood. The wink was well received and I appreciate someone who can contribute meaningful insights and bring some humor to a conversation, THANKS.

Destroyed was an exaggerated term and reflects my feelings about society in general and how it is slowly eroding and decaying while many stand around and watch or help it along. The internet reflects part of that and I in no way intended to make people believe that I feel the BGG or the internet is being destroyed by a few flamers.

Added to original post:
8) It also helps to spell check and preview a post before adding it, although most sites do provide a nice edit function.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Butler
United States
Eastport
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Taavet wrote:
Added to original post:
8) It also helps to spell check and preview a post before adding it, although most sites do provide a nice edit function.

Uh-oh, did I spel somthin rong? I nede my wife aroun to spel chek for me.

Let me know if I'm overdoing it with the emoticons

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sears
United States
Oldtown
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dano19606 wrote:
Uh-oh, did I spell something wrong? I need my wife around to spell check for me. (that's better)

What are you some kind of idiot?! shake I can't believe they let people like you who can't type correctly live!! j/k

No, it was more so for my own sake. There always seem to be that one poster who comments on misspelled words or grammatical errors. I use my Google Toolbar spell checker before posting for my own sake so I don't get flamed by one of those spelling/grammar Nazis. "No, typing for you!"

Just another one of those 'common sense things' which people get all bent out of shape about. I am glad they are so willing to help the people who maybe didn't grow up with English as their first language, and in such a polite way (where is the emoticon for sarcasm?).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.