Cobus van Wyk
South Africa
Vryheid
KZN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there. I hope that you are all doing well?

I ordered a core set with 2 chapter packs a few days ago and expect it to arrive today or tomorrow. So in my excitement I started reading on forums, and seen something that might be a bit disconcerting. It has been said that to really be able to construct proper decks one needs to buy two or even three core sets.

My game would probably only be used for casual gaming with my wife and then two other people on occasion, so it is not for tournament play. That being said we would still like the option of building a few decks with only one house where possible.

So my question is this: would we get the proper game experience without getting another core set, but by only acquiring the chapter packs? That way instead of feeling like I am buying two copies of the game I can tell myself that it is actually something new and different Would there then be enough diversity to negate the big luck factor that I have read about and also give you enough cards to play a reasonable thematic deck?

Regards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Schutte
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The core set only has 1 copy of some the best character cards in the game. To build a competitive deck you need 3 cores, this will likely never change. There are also economy cards you need to have, to build more than 1 deck built at a time. You would need at least 2 cores to build decks to play each other with that function, and 3 if you want them to be really competitive. You can play with less, but the game experience without the economy cards or duplicates will suffer. If you won't ever play competitively just xerox off copies of the cards you lack and put them in sleeves with cards from other games.

This is FFG's business model for all LCG's you have to buy multiple copies of the core set. (100$-120$ USD to get into the game, but by packaging it in 40$ sets it appears cheaper).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cobus van Wyk
South Africa
Vryheid
KZN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply.

So basically it comes down to not having enough cards to build a single house deck nor having more than one of each card.

By Buying the chapter packs I will only be addressing one of those issues in that I might get more cards per faction, like now I might have 22 House X cards instead of 20 from the core, but I'll still only have one of each?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cobus van Wyk
South Africa
Vryheid
KZN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, you mentioned only one of each card. How would one split up the neutral cards/plot cards etc. between two players if you were to play a game from one core set?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
Chapter packs have 20 cards, three copies of each. You'll have variety and enough of those. With just one core you can still build two decks with two of each "economy card". From my experience with other LCGs the card pool will be excellent with just two cycles and a core for casual play.

Faction deluxe boxes also boost one side greatly (a deck and a half worth of cards, plus as many for the rest total). If you wait for the Lannister box I believe getting that and Wolves of the North is already a great set for those two houses. Pad with sequentially bought packs for that extra something.

If you like the cards in the core another one is going to help greatly though. At least two of each is common for the big uniques, to protect them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X X
United States
California
flag msg tools
If you allow some varieties and a few proxies, you can build at least two thematic (and balanced) one-faction decks with one core and 2 chapter packs. For example choose the minimal number of cards 40 and 5 plots. Or you can just use the official kingslayer form (combine any two factions and choose a few neutral cards) if you are ok with two-faction decks. And although many don't like two-faction decks, the starter decks out of box are somehow thematic.

(There are a few problems about this type of decks, like lack of economic cards of the strategy is not consistence since many cards are 1X. But since all your decks are like this, they are balanced.)

I always encourage people to try the game before investing a lot. There are three possibilities here:
a) You are totally fine with the varieties and you enjoy the game.
b) You don't like the game and sell them after you try a few times.
c) You love the game and since you have knowledge of the game, you choose to buy more cores and more packs yourselves.

No matter which one, it is better for you to try before making decisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Schutte
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vryburger wrote:
Thanks for the reply.

So basically it comes down to not having enough cards to build a single house deck nor having more than one of each card.

By Buying the chapter packs I will only be addressing one of those issues in that I might get more cards per faction, like now I might have 22 House X cards instead of 20 from the core, but I'll still only have one of each?

You'll have 3 copies of the cards in the expansion packs, but still only 1 copy of the core characters that are pretty strong and faction defining atm. Once were say 4-6 cycles in and you've payed 300-400$ in packs you may have a solid deck building options then.

Every deck currently will have 3 kings roads and 3 rose roads for economy. You get 4 copies of each / core set. You can play with less but your decks will often not have enough gold for the bigger characters and feel in consistent sometimes due to greater luck / variance in draws.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X X
United States
California
flag msg tools
There are recommendation list out of box.

If you don't want to use the list, you can just pick your favorite cards. If both of you want the same power creep, you can use any way to decide it. For example, rock-paper-scissor, or you can pick cards in turns, or make some deals like "you let me pick this and I would let you pick that" or "both of us cannot use this".

If you are not going to tournament, this would be just a game, and you can use whatever methods to make it funny to play among family and friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wray
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Crikrunner wrote:
The core set only has 1 copy of some the best character cards in the game. To build a competitive deck you need 3 cores, this will likely never change. There are also economy cards you need to have, to build more than 1 deck built at a time. You would need at least 2 cores to build decks to play each other with that function, and 3 if you want them to be really competitive. You can play with less, but the game experience without the economy cards or duplicates will suffer. If you won't ever play competitively just xerox off copies of the cards you lack and put them in sleeves with cards from other games.

This is FFG's business model for all LCG's you have to buy multiple copies of the core set. (100$-120$ USD to get into the game, but by packaging it in 40$ sets it appears cheaper).

Which is why I will never buy two or three cores (don't get me started on the latest packaging design where you cannot even store your cards upright). I love FFG games, but their LCG core game format leaves much to be desired. I feel it is manipulative and it is a shame or I would be collecting two more of their LCGs if they had complete sets and better storage. As it is I have to invest on buying additional components right after buying the core set (never mind waiting until your collection outgrows the box).

Sigh, sorry FFG, you are the best, but where's the love?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cobus van Wyk
South Africa
Vryheid
KZN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all very much for the informative replies. I think what we'll do is play a few with the one core and Taking the Black and No middle Ground chapters that I ordered along with the core. After that we'll see what our need is.

What I am positive about is that even though you need at least 2 core sets to do some competitive play with, it seems that the common consensus is that we can still have a lot of fun with just the one core and some expansions and even more so the more expansions we get (even though we might have only one of each of the cards in the core set).

Once again thank you.

Regards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls