Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

DeathMaze» Forums » Rules

Subject: Monster check, De-trap, Healing, Corridors, Start Tiles, Managing Your Party rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Purple TripleCrown
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found this game at a thrift store over a year ago, and being an old D&D player, I bided my time for the opportunity for a little dungeon crawling fun. At the end of a nice long weekend, the time was right.

However, like so many games from this golden era of board game publishing, I was left wondering about my interpretation of several rules.

1. Monster Check
The rules state that unexplored room and corridor tiles must be checked for monsters, but then then specifically calls the table that applies to unexplored tiles the "room" monster table. I reasoned that only wandering monsters might appear in corridors, and that the "room monster table" was only applicable in true "rooms". Is that correct?

2. De-trap
A Thief can de-trap a trap (door, room or chest) on a roll equal to or less than their de-trap skill level. If they succeed, the thief gets a 10 EXP bonus. Is their any penalty for failing? In the case of a treasure chest, do you still make the trap roll (1-3) if the de-trap fails, or is the trap automatically sprung if the de-trap fails? If the trap is sprung by roll, or automatically springs, does the Thief automatically suffer the consequences of the trap, or can you designate another character to test the trap once the Thief fails?

3. Healing
Do I read the rules correctly that only time a character can be healed during a trip to the dungeon is with a potion or spell? Otherwise they are only fully healed when they leave the dungeon? What if they leave the dungeon before accumulating the winning amount of EXP + Bez? Can they keep their Bez/Items and return to the same dungeon?

4. Corridors
On my reading of the rules, you only draw tiles from the Corridor cup if: a) you are exiting a corridor tile by other than a door, or b) you pull a corridor tile from the Room cup. What is the purpose of this mechanism? I thought it might act as some timing mechanism to limit your time in the dungeon, but it doesn't appear to operate that way (unless I misunderstand the rules).

5. Start Tiles
I printed and mounted some larger tiles that appear to contemplate variants and expansions. Included in these substitute tiles were some corridor tiles with a set of stairs depicted at one exit. Can I assume that these tiles are just intended to substitute for the starting tile (making it easier to identify once there is a large maze), and that the stairs don't fulfill any other function?

6. Managing Your Party
The rules limit your party to 6 and suggest you have no fewer than 4. I chose 4 on my initial foray. I have to say that the footprint created by even 4 character sheets totally undermines the compact footprint of the maze. The rules require you to track the wound points, experience points and weapons of each character separately, and it's easy to understand why. Bez may simply recorded as a total for the entire party. Any reason not to create a single character sheet with the individual stats (that you have to keep) for all 6 in the party (or does this undermine the "continuing character" aspect of the game?)

You have to assign magical items/potions to a particular character. Can't another character pick these up if the character in possession is killed? Can you reassign them during combat during the reorganization phase? I think I read that potions expire once you leave the maze. What about other magical items?

I house ruled myself through all of these questions, but I would be interested in the answers of those of you who have a lot more experience with this game.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Gordonsville
Virginia
flag msg tools
While primarily used for killing vampires, a wooden stake to the heart is also highly effective against most other opponents.
badge
Mr. Spacely was one crooked son of a bitch and I can prove it.
mbmbmbmbmb
1. You use the Room Monster Table when encountering monsters in an unexplored room. You use the Wandering Monster Table when encountering monsters in an unexplored corridor or a previously explored room. (Rule 7.11)

2. A Thief gets one chance to detrap a trap. If he fails, then he suffers the consequences of the trap. (10.13) Only one thief can attempt to detrap if you have more than one in the party. (10.12)

3. Characters can heal with Mustard too! Yes, you keep all of your EXP + Bez/Items and are fully healed when you leave the dungeon and return later, even if you didn't earn enough to "win". (13.0)

4. You have it right with corridors. I think the purpose of the corridors are to stretch the maze out a bit and force more wandering monster rolls.

5. Stairs tiles are used in the Citadel of Blood game which is based on DeathMaze.

6. You don't need to keep much information about your party. It's very easy to get all six party members on one sheet of paper.

7. Other than during combat and negotiation, items can be reassigned. If an item-carrying adventurer dies, another adventurer may be assigned to use his item (but only after combat is completed). (9.17) I didn't find anything in the rules about potions expiring. The only things you lose when you leave the dungeon are charmed monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple TripleCrown
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robertg611 wrote:
1. You use the Room Monster Table when encountering monsters in an unexplored room. You use the Wandering Monster Table when encountering monsters in an unexplored corridor or a previously explored room. (Rule 7.11)

2. A Thief gets one chance to detrap a trap. If he fails, then he suffers the consequences of the trap. (10.13) Only one thief can attempt to detrap if you have more than one in the party. (10.12)

3. Characters can heal with Mustard too! Yes, you keep all of your EXP + Bez/Items and are fully healed when you leave the dungeon and return later, even if you didn't earn enough to "win". (13.0)

4. You have it right with corridors. I think the purpose of the corridors are to stretch the maze out a bit and force more wandering monster rolls.

5. Stairs tiles are used in the Citadel of Blood game which is based on DeathMaze.

6. You don't need to keep much information about your party. It's very easy to get all six party members on one sheet of paper.

7. Other than during combat and negotiation, items can be reassigned. If an item-carrying adventurer dies, another adventurer may be assigned to use his item (but only after combat is completed). (9.17) I didn't find anything in the rules about potions expiring. The only things you lose when you leave the dungeon are charmed monsters.

Thanks GodRob,

Can I pursue a couple of clarifications with you?

2. De-trapping. I saw the rule you referenced. My question has to do with defining "the consequences of the trap". Normally, a character with no de-trap ability suffers no consequences on a roll of 4-6 when attempting to open a chest. So, my question is whether attempting a de-trap with a thief subsitutes for the normal chest trap roll. If it does, I'm not sure why anyone would attempt a de-trap before their Thief is upgraded to at least to a 3 de-trap ability.

5. Stairs. Since the PnP tiles I made were specifically designed for DeathMaze, can I take it from your answer that these tiles have no role in the game (other than remembering which was the starting tile), unless optional rules adopted from Citadel of Blood are used?

I found where I read about potions expiring. It was in a user post suggesting additional rules: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/628963/suggested-additional...

I think I will design a new character "party" sheet to record the stats/weapons/items of all 6 characters on one page, and will post it on BGG (since there doesn't seem to be one already).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Gordonsville
Virginia
flag msg tools
While primarily used for killing vampires, a wooden stake to the heart is also highly effective against most other opponents.
badge
Mr. Spacely was one crooked son of a bitch and I can prove it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Purpletriplecrown wrote:
2. De-trapping. I saw the rule you referenced. My question has to do with defining "the consequences of the trap". Normally, a character with no de-trap ability suffers no consequences on a roll of 4-6 when attempting to open a chest. So, my question is whether attempting a de-trap with a thief subsitutes for the normal chest trap roll. If it does, I'm not sure why anyone would attempt a de-trap before their Thief is upgraded to at least to a 3 de-trap ability.

5. Stairs. Since the PnP tiles I made were specifically designed for DeathMaze, can I take it from your answer that these tiles have no role in the game (other than remembering which was the starting tile), unless optional rules adopted from Citadel of Blood are used?

2. When you find a chest, check to see if there is a trap (1-3) or not (4-6). If there is a trap, then you can either attempt to detrap it or just open it. Just opening the trapped chest WILL set off the trap! Successfully detrapping removes the trap. Failure sets it off, exactly the same result as if you had just opened it.

5. Stairs have no role in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls