Pandemic Legacy: Season 1» Forums » General

Subject: WHYYYYY?!?!?! (possible minor spoiler June/July timeframe) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Will

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
The Babylon Project was our last best hope for peace. It failed. In the year of the Shadow War, it became something greater, our last best hope for victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
We are up to the roadblocks. The guy who bought the set was applying the stickers to the action cards, and noticed that they went to the extra effort to cut around the very small red line portion of the image. What should have been part of the additional action sticker had to to be peeled & placed separately within the very narrow opening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
Did you see the errata slip of paper that was included at the top of the box? It couldn't explicitly say "roadblocks" because that would have been a spoiler, but it made clear that was a design glitch.

They clearly had to cut around each permanent roadblock on the permanent roadblocks door; it looks like a copy-and-paste oversight led to the rulebook sticker and action card stickers accidentally getting the same cutout.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
The Babylon Project was our last best hope for peace. It failed. In the year of the Shadow War, it became something greater, our last best hope for victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
We'll take a look, but it just looked like something that would have actually taken additional effort to cut around that very small red line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
OK. I'm not sure of their exact process, but I suspect it went something like this:

Get some really heavy duty CAD/DTP package. Set up a whole bunch of spot colour layers for the stickers, a spot colour layer for the space behind the stickers, two spot colour layers for the front of the dossier, a perforation stencil layer for the doors, a sticker stencil layer for bits that need to peel off each door. Having established all thosee layers, design the dossiers.

There is doubtless then some mechanism for element cloning. I expect they designed a roadblock, put a stencil cut around it, cloned it a couple of dozen times onto the permanent roadblock sticker sheet, then cloned it five more times onto the rulebook sticker and action card stickers.

All it would take would be forgetting they were also cloning the stencil cut line, then failing to spot the oversight when proofing, and the result would be what we saw: some extra cuts in the stencil that shouldn't be there.

Fortunately, it's no big deal, which is presumably why they mentioned it on the errata sheet rather than throwing away thousands of dossiers and remaking them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That makes sense when you get into the copying idea. It was rather amusing to see his reaction to the realization though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Leacock
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
designer
mb
clivej wrote:
OK. I'm not sure of their exact process, but I suspect it went something like this:

Get some really heavy duty CAD/DTP package. Set up a whole bunch of spot colour layers for the stickers, a spot colour layer for the space behind the stickers, two spot colour layers for the front of the dossier, a perforation stencil layer for the doors, a sticker stencil layer for bits that need to peel off each door. Having established all thosee layers, design the dossiers.

There is doubtless then some mechanism for element cloning. I expect they designed a roadblock, put a stencil cut around it, cloned it a couple of dozen times onto the permanent roadblock sticker sheet, then cloned it five more times onto the rulebook sticker and action card stickers.

All it would take would be forgetting they were also cloning the stencil cut line, then failing to spot the oversight when proofing, and the result would be what we saw: some extra cuts in the stencil that shouldn't be there.

Fortunately, it's no big deal, which is presumably why they mentioned it on the errata sheet rather than throwing away thousands of dossiers and remaking them.

Something like that. I was relieved that this was our only major production issue, given the complexity of the overall package. This has since been corrected. (Only the first printing had this issue.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls