Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone,

I've seen some pretty compelling arguments for Size-changing, as it is right now. Whilst I agree with some of these, I've also been thinking about houseruling this keyword. It would be the first time I would do this on a permanent basis, and as such I wanted to receive some feedback from you.

The purpose of rethinking size-changing is twofold: on the one hand, make it more thematic, highlighting the fact that heroes who change size do this either towards enlarging themselves or towards reducing their own size; on the other, to slightly increase the difficulty of the game and to provide incentives for a more strategical approach to building your deck.

My version of size-changing:

Size-changing: Class X.
If you have a hero with class X, the recruit cost of a hero from the HQ is reduced by 2. If you don't, its recruit cost is increased by 2.
If you have a hero with class X, the attack of a villain is reduced by 2. If you don't, its attack cost is increased by 2.

Advantages over the official size-changing:
- it slightly increases the difficulty;
- it provides incentives for strategically building your deck, because you will have to recruit heroes with as many classes as possible, in order to be able to attack a wide variety of villains and to recruit as easy as possible a wide variety of heroes;
- it is more thematic - in the comics, heroes both increase and decrease their size. Furthermore, it could be considered that you have to be smart and learn a villain's weakness in order to defeat her; if you don't use Tech, for instance, she might be invulnerable to other strategies, or at least more resilient. Similarly, you have to use Instinct in order to cajole someone to join your side.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ovi Matteo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am against house rules. This is why I prefer to simply ignore the dreaded card of TT Jean Grey than adding some recruit via house rules.

Please feel free to play as you want, but I ask you:

Do you really want to open this door?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not necessarily against house rules, but I usually avoid them. The only time I've felt the need to houserule something was when I was not that excited about Wasteland Hulk, but I've played him since in tough scenarios and he works for me fine enough. TT Jean Grey is a card that I have nothing against, so I've never intended to tweak her. Furthermore, I feel like I could not change an official part of the game that I've become familiar with. However, since this expansion is not out yet, I feel that I might "learn" an alternate version of size-changing and go with it. I don't know yet whether I am going to do this or not, but it is something I'll keep in mind.

I'm definitely intrigued by my variant, and it is one of the few times that I feel I improved, even a little bit, something produced by UD. Of course, I might be very wrong, and this is why I am curious to see how others perceive this variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Lyons
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Look at Hulkling, if he cost 7 and your ability was +/-1 instead of 2, that's exactly what we have right now for heroes.

But, I think it would be really weird to print a card with a cost that you would never pay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Misfiring Chong
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed, your houserule of +/- 2 is no different then the current system scaled up. If Hulkling rare has cost of 10 and Size-Changing is -4, it is identical to your house rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Reiter
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
I really don't understand why they didn't make size changing a Focus ability. That way it could have been tailored to the subtly different abilities of the size changers, and even different between different cards of the same hero, so characters like Ant-man could have growth and shrink effects.

As it is, it's a restrictive box that is uninteresting and not thematic. They already have a powerful tool in Focus and it's been abandoned. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as Fantastic Four is Out Of Print, we will never see any of the keywords introduced in that expansion reused. I've noticed that all rulebooks that reuse some keywords mention the expansion they were originally introduced in. If they were to reuse Focus, they would have to mention Fantastic Four, which they won't do until it is in print again. Sadly, no more Cosmic Threat/ Focus until a reprint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AdelinDumitru wrote:
As long as Fantastic Four is Out Of Print, we will never see any of the keywords introduced in that expansion reused. I've noticed that all rulebooks that reuse some keywords mention the expansion they were originally introduced in. If they were to reuse Focus, they would have to mention Fantastic Four, which they won't do until it is in print again. Sadly, no more Cosmic Threat/ Focus until a reprint.

Well, they don't have to mention the expansion it was originally introduced in. I think they just do that as an interesting fact.

I could easily see them reintroducing Focus and Cosmic Threat in future expansions as if they were brand new.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls