Subject: Expansion idea - Away mission encounter cards or booklet? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So we played this game yesterday for the first time and it went over very well. Great game, very fun.

Thinking back on it I realized the one thematatic element that seemed slightly weaker than the rest of the game was that the various away missions and planetary encounters are just tokens with numbers on them that work essentially like a variation on normal combat with Diplomacy sometimes replacing Attacks. It felt like what is missing is an actual short couple sentence description of what is going on during the encounter.

Just curious what you guys think about the idea of an expansion for the game that offered an actual deck of away mission and planet encounter cards to replace or augment the tokens in the game. So when you do an away mission you draw an encounter card, read the scenario description, and then play it out using the normal rules with stats or special rules provided on the card or possibly with the card asking you to draw a random related token to see what the stats are. The cards could be original bits of storytelling or be based on actual scenes from the shows. (And honestly, what is a Trek game without a Tribble encounter somewhere in the mix! )

Even though it would mainly just be adding "flavor text" or artwork or pictures I think it would be a very nice, thematic addition to the game that could really help bring out more of the feel of doing Trek style scenarios.

Anyway that's my pitch to the designers or publishers if they're listening. If you put out an expansion with encounter cards or an encounter booklet for away missions, etc, I will be forced to happily throw my money at it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Many games rely on the player to "fill in the blanks" of the story themselves. I don't really see ST:F as being particularly special or in need in this regard. Having cards that are just flavour text would cost an awful lot of work, time and money to add very little to the game.

It could be something a devoted fan could work on, but the publisher would never do it in a million years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is not an Ameritrash kind of game. It's more of a Eurogame. Adding flavor texts and encounter cards and what not would make it a completely different game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Many games rely on the player to "fill in the blanks" of the story themselves. I don't really see ST:F as being particularly special or in need in this regard. Having cards that are just flavour text would cost an awful lot of work, time and money to add very little to the game.

It could be something a devoted fan could work on, but the publisher would never do it in a million years.

Just as a rebuttal

- Many games, especially adventure style game, provide those sorts of story hooks. So it's not like this is an unusual feature in games, especially not in the adventure/exploration genre.

- Publishers will work on what they think will sell. If they think enough people would buy encounter cards with interesting things on them as either a mini expansion or part of a larger boxed expansion with other content then they would be inclined to work on it.

- Devoted fans can work on anything, but obviously official published versions are typically better produced and playtested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LX1986 wrote:
This is not an Ameritrash kind of game. It's more of a Eurogame. Adding flavor texts and encounter cards and what not would make it a completely different game.

How would it be a completely different game? All the mechanics would be basically the same, the only difference would be instead of simply random tokens with numbers you use random cards with both numbers and text and maybe a little extra variety in special rules.

Also saying it's not an Ameritrash game is misleading, it's really a hybrid game. Unless you're ignoring all the ship decks and special ability cards, etc, that you get pseudo randomly over the course of play. I'd say this game is a hybrid of Ameritrash and Euro elements, it's definitely not a pure Euro.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to see expansions offering more flavor, like the OP. But I also think a fan-based file might solve that, too. Instead of simply categorizing ST:F as a Euro and not Ameritrash (hate that term!), I'd like to see expansions that allow the players to take the game wherever they want (even to where no man has gone before). For those who like the Euro stuff, stick with those expansions. For those open to more adventuring and theme, use those expansions. Why limit anything? Of course, it's all about marketability and profit expectations, but theoretically I think it would be a nice innovation to equip players to expand the game as they choose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
raven demarco
msg tools
I think that could get really interesting, with special rules for each encounter. Maybe a muti-tiered set of challenges (ex: spend 2 move, then either 4 attack or 6 diplomacy. OR 2 diplomacy and a blue data to overcome). The variety that it could add to the game would be limited only by the designer's imagination.

Imagine an away encounter that starts with facing an attack 3 assault on your ship. You then have to overcome a challenge using attack where you can opt to spend science data to get a +2 per data spent. If you succeed, you get to keep the card which can be spent 1 time to give you a +4 attack or Shields vs a borg cube/sphere (symbolizing some sort of special knowledge acquired during the away mission).

I'd love that. My brain is coming up with so many possible away missions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I uploaded a file containing 36 random away team mission supplements. If BGG allows it, look for it in the files section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls