Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Domenic
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Would you ever really want to see an angel?
mbmbmbmbmb
I've kept Globbo! on my shelf for many years, and pull it out every once in a while just to read the rule-book. Every time I do, I think it would be fun to get to the table, but my recollection is that the actual gameplay falls a bit flat. In theory, Globbo is oozing and growing, biters are exploding and reforming, kids are popping through warp-holes, etc. But in practice, if Globbo is growing and kids are reforming, the game is never-ending. This is compounded by the fact that Globbo's oozing makes the Kids side easier to play for first-timers, but Globbo's regeneration makes running a good strategy for Globbo against a less-effective Kids player.

Playing to a set maximum number of turns guarantees that the game doesn't overstay its welcome, and may help it hit the table more often. If it's set short enough, it makes it easy to let a new player play the Kids and then switch to playing Globbo. Other than agreeing on a turn limit, the only thing needed is a scoring system to determine the winner at game-end. To that end, I propose the following:

Item Points
Head 6
Zap 2
Slap 1
Biter 5
Blip 1
Yeast 1

I wanted each side to start with the same number of points and to keep the value of the Globbo parts as close as possible to their regeneration costs. That gave the Globbo and Biter values. I'm less sure about the values of Blips and Yeasts. In keeping with the game's derision of Yeasts, it would make sense to have them be worth 0. In keeping with the negative entropy of Biter explosions, it makes sense to have the total value of the 6 Blips/Yeasts be greater than the value of the Biter. But from a game design perspective, it might make sense to have the Biters be worth more than their parts, to encourage Globbo to explode them even if there is the risk of reformation. So another scoring system I considered is:

(Rejected)
Item Points
Head 12
Zap 3
Slap 1
Biter 7
Blip 1
Yeast 0

Anyway, I'm thinking that 10 turns is enough to get a feel for the game, with some exploding and regenerating and moving around the warp-edges of the board, and even have a chance at ending the game through elimination. Any other thoughts on points/length?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played this in nearly 30 years? I remember enjoying it and worrying that it might never end. But it always did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Domenic
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Would you ever really want to see an angel?
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
I have not played this in nearly 30 years? I remember enjoying it and worrying that it might never end. But it always did.

Yes, it always ends, but I think it always outlasted it's welcome a little bit. I'd like to teach someone to play, switch sides, put in some of the optional rules, play again, and then put it back on the shelf. But what's happened in the past is that I teach someone to play, we eventually finish one game, it felt cute but dragged on too long to want to jump back in for a second round, and it goes back on the shelf for a few years.

So I'm hopeful that this helps. ::sigh:: Now just to find someone to experiment on with.

I'm also pondering handicaps for the first game. Maybe 1 less Biter if I'm the Kids, and -1 Zap & -3 Slaps if I'm Globbo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls