Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone,

I'm thinking about picking this up, since I've heard so many people recommending it. However, I do have one small concern regarding card quality (and an even smaller concern about the card size). How is the card quality? Are they gonna be, if not pristine, at least in decent condition, after 20+ games (without sleeves)? Second, i've heard that cards are relatively small - is this a problem during gameplay? are they really that small? are they smaller than Imperial Settlers cards, for instance?

Thank you all in advance, and I am looking forward to you shedding some light on these two aspects. Perhaps I'll join the other discussions soon enough!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cards are plenty sturdy. They don't need sleeves.

As for size, they are about the size of Eldritch Horror spell/item cards or Imperial Assault item cards. Imperial Settlers cards are standard MTG size, these are not. They have to be small or the tableau you draft from would not fit on the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergo Tothmihaly
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
As far as I remember, they are mini euro size (45x68mm).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Oppedisano
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The small sized cards don't really bother me. I think they may be a little bigger than the typical FFG cards, like those in Eldritch Horror, but I haven't actually compared them.

Also, the cards for the Wonders are actually larger sized.

BUT, I have found that the cards warp easily. The Wonder cards in particular came warped. And there was slight warping in the small cards as well. If you watch some play through videos you can see that they are warped there as well, so it seems to be a common effect.

It doesn't really bother me and doesn't ruin the game per se (since the cards are not hidden information or held in your hands). But if warping bothers you, it may be an issue with this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Woo-Hoo Gamer
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
"Play is an essential component of Wholehearted living." Brené Brown
badge
What do you mean we don't have time for another game?
mbmbmbmbmb
Given the amount of shuffling before each play, I sleeved my copy. No problems, other than the fact that the insert didn't account for sleeved cards. I'll likely just make a foam core insert once the expansion comes out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris saman
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My cards have some slight warping as well, sleeved after first game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mason Weaver
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
fivebygames.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
csaman wrote:
My cards have some slight warping as well, sleeved after first game.

I would agree. I was very dissapointed with the quality of the cards. Sleeves are a must. I used FF mini euro sleeves and cut the excess off the top of each. I enjoy the game much more now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
sleeved mine- want to bring this game w/ me for traveling to play in airports, coffee shops, etc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kostas K.
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
Cards are plenty sturdy. They don't need sleeves.

If the standard for "plenty sturdy" is not dissolving in your hands, sure. I own many games from REPOS (7 wonders with every expansion, 7 wonders duel, Ghost Stories with every expansion) and one thing I can count on is the cards being low quality & extremely easy to chip, scratch, etc.

My advice to OP is to definitely sleeve them.

EDIT: Well, to be fair, I can also count on another thing: the games themselves being awesome. One more reason to sleeve, you'll be handling those cards a lot!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rivers
Spain
Aragon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WooHoo1 wrote:
No problems, other than the fact that the insert didn't account for sleeved cards.

The OP might be lucky as the european insert DOES account for sleeved cards. As others have said, I sleeved mine as they need to be shuffled before every game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't ever hold them in your hand during the game. You just move them around on the table like tiles. I still sleeved them though because they're pretty flimsy and it's such a good game I knew they would get a lot of play.

I just use cheap penny type sleeves though- works fine

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To be honest I seem to have a different feeling towards the cards than most. I feel the cards are WAYYYY too small for how great their art is. The card size effectively turns the cards into a couple of symbols because they are too small to see anything else. I appreciate the fact that it makes the game more portable and takes much less space but would almost prefer full a full card sized version of this game. The small cards seem to develop a bend, are hard to shuffle, too small to appreciate the art, and tend to move around a lot when building your ages.

Otherwise, this game is fantastic. A true masterpiece and I don't think you will regret trying it for the price, even used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Ronke
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AdelinDumitru wrote:

How is the card quality? Are they gonna be, if not pristine, at least in decent condition, after 20+ games (without sleeves)? Second, i've heard that cards are relatively small - is this a problem during gameplay?

The cards are small, but since you're building structures with them rather than holding them in your hand, it's not a huge problem.

I do recommend getting sleeves, however, as it makes it much easier to pick them up off the table. The sleeves I used actually are problem a millimeter too small, giving the cards a slight curvature, but that turned out to be perfect for placing them in the interlocking card pyramids required for this game.

The big Wonder cards can probably go without sleeves. Up to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Long
United States
Southfield
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kingalces wrote:

I do recommend getting sleeves, however, as it makes it much easier to pick them up off the table. The sleeves I used actually are problem a millimeter too small, giving the cards a slight curvature, but that turned out to be perfect for placing them in the interlocking card pyramids required for this game.

The big Wonder cards can probably go without sleeves. Up to you.

All of the this. Normally I don't sleeve cards for games where the wear should be equal (like this) but sleeves add a bit of weight making them MUCH easier to manipulate. I think I got some Mayday ones that are a pinch too big. But the weight is SO amazing and makes the card manipulation less chore-like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls