Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kristian Pesti
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group is thinking of starting Pandemic Legacy. One of us isn't quite fluent in english though. We have played many games with english in them, but if there's much of it she gets a bit frustrated. If there's hidden info she isn't supposed to reveal others, it might be a problem.

Now, I don't know how to ask this without getting too spoilered...

Can you ask form the question for me?

If not, then could you answer this:
DO you think she will survive the game fine? She knows basic english and non hidden info is ok.

Thanks!

(Please use spoiler tags if needed!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Diffler wrote:
Our group is thinking of starting Pandemic Legacy. One of us isn't quite fluent in english though. We have played many games with english in them, but if there's much of it she gets a bit frustrated. If there's hidden info she isn't supposed to reveal others, it might be a problem.

DO you think she will survive the game fine? She knows basic english and non hidden info is ok.

Thanks!

There is no information that isn't open to all players, so as long as there is one player who is fluent enough you should be OK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike B
Canada
Whitby
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that she should be fine. It's fully co-operative, so everyone works together all the time.

it even says in the rules that all players play with their hand of cards face-up on the table, so any confusion should be easily remedied.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
Agreed: she'll probably be OK. There's no hidden information, so she can talk about the rules with other players whenever she likes.

One slight note of caution: the names for a lot of things are fairly technical phrases. Picking non-spoilery examples, the undinfed events on the sticker sheet you see before you begin are "Experimental Program", "Trending Data" and "Grassroots Program". She'd either need to be able to understand those, or content to treat them as opaque names.

There are also a lot of cases where semantically similar English words are used for importantly different contexts. For example, a disease being cured, eradicated or suppressed means three different things. I don't know how much of a problem that would be.

As a plan B: has Pandemic Legacy been published in her native language, and how cost-sensitive are you? I believe all the components have the same identifying labels in every languages, so a second set in the other language might help if she struggles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Diffler wrote:

Thanks!

(The following is based on where I've reached so far, which is the half-way point: we've completed June, no further).

There's no hidden material - in terms of amongst players. Everything is shared and open, so if the others among you are happy to read and translate or help with bits she's not clear on, that's fine.

However, be warned that there is quite a lot of text, both amongst the ever growing rule-book and the various stickers. For example (non-spoilers: this is all visible when you open the box) there are various stickers to upgrade your characters or make diseases positively mutate. As the game goes on, there are more and more stickers with lots of new tweaks to rules. If your friend's fine with seeing a sticker, being helped with any unfamiliar bits and will then remember it for future, it'll be absolutely fine. If she takes longer to remember new words or rules and is likely to get frustrated having to ask for help each time, it may be a bit more of a problem.

That said, a lot of the stickers are extending basic Pandemic ideas so if she's comfortable with the vocabulary used in normal Pandemic, I'm sure she'll be fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls