Subject: Moving THROUGH a Friendly Siege rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zara Thustra

Ithaca
New York
msg tools
mbmbmb
Can a player besieging a city move other friendly blocks THROUGH that city?

I've looked through the rules over and over on this point. The only answer I found so far is in a player aid by someone who claims the answer is yes, but I don't see this in the rules anywhere.

The FAQ implies that the answer is yes, but not in a single turn. Blocks can move away from a siege, but must stop upon entering a besieged location since it contains enemy blocks. But it doesn't seem to address this question directly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zara Thustra

Ithaca
New York
msg tools
mbmbmb
OK, I found another forum post with my exact question. Seems like there's some confusion regarding an exception for moving through a siege that existed in previous versions of the rules, but was apparently removed in the 2.0 rules. *Sigh*.

So, does anyone know what the intention is here? I would assume that if the exception were removed from the rules that it was intentionally taken out of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich
United States
Northern VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a little frustrating that this was made clear in rules version 1 and then the clarification was removed in version 2. I don't speak for the designers but I'm confident that the intention is to allow the besieger to move friendly blocks through the city under siege.

- As you point out this is explicitly stated in version 1 of the rules
- I came across an FAQ dated 11/7/2011 supposedly addressing version 2 of the rules and the Q&A reads as follows:
Q: Does a unit have to stop moving if it enters an empty enemy castle?
A: No. Moving units only have to stop when they enter an area with unbesieged enemy blocks.
Although the question is different from yours, the answer indicates that only unbesieged enemy blocks cause a halt to movement. This FAQ claims to be at least partially based on interaction with the designers although it does not specify the source of this particular answer.
- I also believe this interpretation is consistent with the representation of the opponent being holed up in their castle unable to prevent movement through the surrounding terrain and roads.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls