Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Trek Frontiers--Solo Conquest Replay

Round 1

USS Defiant ordered into the wormhole that leads to the contested region of space known as Lambda Quadrant. The entire region has ceased communications, leading Star Fleet to believe that some powerful entity—likely the Borg—have invaded. Federation, Klingon, Romulan, Cardassian, and others have worlds and outposts there. Our mission is to investigate, reestablish contact, and if necessary repel any hostile invasion.

The Defiant emerged from the wormhole and scanned Sectors 10 and 2. To my surprise there is a Romulan starbase in Sector 10. There are two star systems within scanning range—the Marak system in Sector 10, which includes an L-Class and H-Class planets; and the Dona system in Sector 2, which includes a Federation research station, outpost, and dry dock. A Romulan warbird is in the Dona system, and sensors indicate it is equipped with biogenic weapons.

The Enterprise, captained by my old rival Picard, is also operating in the quadrant.

(1) My intent is to warp into Sector 2 and repel the Romulan ship there. But I want to build the Defiant’s capabilities as we proceed. I therefore order the ship to warp to the Federation research station, where we pick up some operations data.

(2) I then order best speed to the Federation outpost on the far side of Dona. I am forced to strong-arm the officials there to release Lieutenant Commander Data, who joins my crew. My reputation is already suffering.

(3) I order the Defiant to head to the Federation Dry Dock, and from there I hail the Romulan warbird and order it to leave Federation space. Instead, they maneuver to attack. I improvised an effective defense, and Commander Data organized the counterattack, destroying the Romulan ship. (Sisko level 2.) I train the crew in tactics skills and develop teamwork.

(4) The Defiant explores Sector 1, finding another Romulan warbird, this one equipped with disruptors.

(5) The Defiant scans Sector 3, and a second Romulan starbase is detected. There is a Federation research station nearby. I order the Defiant to warp into Sector 1 and hail the Romulan warbird. Predictably, it attacks. Its disruptors were a problem, but I employed a powerful photon pulse shield that held up against the enemy’s attacks. Commander Data fired phasers, destroying the enemy ship. (Sisko level 3.)

Round 2

I have secret plans that include taking out one of the Romulan starbases. The Enterprise steals a march on me.

(1) I ordered the Defiant to set course for the Sector 3 Federation outpost, where I arranged to recruit another Federation officer.

(2) I considered several courses of action, but the Defiant crew is not suited to away missions. In the end I decided to take on the Romulan starbase in Sector 3. We warped to engage it, and in the resulting battle, we took slight damage before destroying it. We repaired the damage immediately.

(3) We spent some time scanning into Sectors 4 and 8, finding two more Romulan warbirds.

(4) I decided to investigate the L-Class planet in Sector 10, Marak-2. I led the away team, and I had to use intimidation along with my other diplomatic skills to resolve the situation. The government there is now cooperating and provided us with needed data.
We developed superior navigation, and I trained the crew in determination. (Sisko level 4.)

(5) The Defiant scanned Sector 5 and found another warbird near the Class-M planet Rica-5.

Picard and the Enterprise have rushed me, and their activities are inhibiting my progress.

Round 3

(1) We have a great start, and I decide to eliminate the Romulan threat to Rica-5. In the resulting battle, I formed a powerful photon pulse shield, and my new Federation officer orchestrated the phaser attack that destroyed the offending ship.

(2) Confidentially, I feel that Picard is doing his utmost to undermine my efforts in this quadrant. I order the Defiant to warp to a position in Sector 4 from which we can engage both the Romulan warbird there, and the Dominion starbase, as well as communicate with Rica-5. I send a strongly worded message to the planet, demanding that they share the new shield technology they are developing with us. My reputation again suffers.

(3) Next I take on the Dominion starbase. I order pulse torpedo shields up, but we suffer slight damage from their defenses. Commander Data’s determination and our tactical skill resulted in the destruction of the base. (Sisko level 5.) The base contained a wealth of valuable technologies, and I ordered Commander Data to operationalize the Dominion’s experimentation with warp manipulation. If used to optimal effect, it could even serve as the perfect cloak in battle. We’ll see.

(4) Using teamwork, Commander Data prepared for our next task, and the crew repaired our damage from the starbase.

(5) I issued the order to close with the Romulan warbird. I improvised defenses, and Data destroyed the ship, clearing our path back to Rica-5.

(6) We maneuvered back to Rica-5, and I arranged to have Commander Gowron of the Klingon Empire join our crew.

(7) The Defiant scanned Core Sector 4 and found a Borg Sphere. Near to it and very near our current position is another Romulan starbase. I ordered the Defiant into action, and Gowron led the attack that destroyed the starbase.

Round 4

(1) With the Defiant loaded for bear, I order the ship to scan Core Sector 3. There is a Federation research station nearby. The Haxon star system includes two planets: Haxon-1 is class-H, and Haxon-3 is class-K. The latter planet is issuing a distress signal for unknown reasons. There is also a Dominion starbase in the system. The bigger picture is that I have not yet located the Borg Cubes that have invaded the quadrant but I have narrowed down their location. The question now is whether to investigate Haxon-3 or proceed with the search for the cubes. We move to the Federation research station and gain some key command data on the enemy. (Sisko level 6.) The crew’s resourcefulness improves, and I prepared for tense negotiations.

(2) I led the away team, including Data, Gowron, and a Federation Officer. Tense negotiations and diplomacy with the Ferengi succeeded, but when another faction got aggressive, Gowron and long-range fire from the Defiant destroyed them. The mission succeeded. The Haxon gave us access to undiscovered technology related to spatial anomalies and other advanced research.

(3) The Defiant warped through Core Sector 3 to a position near the Dominion starbase, which has biogenic weapons. From here we scanned Core Sector 8, finding the first Borg Cube, defended by two Borg Spheres. Data and the Federation Officer defended the ship, while a refreshed Gowron organized the attack on the Borg Sphere, destroying it. (Sisko level 7.)

(4) I ordered the Defiant to attack the Dominion starbase. I employed photon pulse shields and pulse torpedo shields to defend against their weapons. Our phasers destroyed the base. We were able to obtain a long-range pulse torpedo weapon from them.

(5) The good reputation I garnered by destroying the Borg Sphere was dissipated as I had to intimidate the staff of the defeated Dominion starbase to recruit the Cardassian Dukat. We then spent some time researching and synthesizing data.

Round 5

(1) I maneuvered the Defiant toward the Borg Cube (Red). Gowron directed long-range phaser fire that destroyed the most dangerous defenders. Data and my Federation Officer blocked another attack, but the Borg were able to damage the ship before we improvised a strong attack that destroyed the second defender. Dukat then launched a photon torpedo attack that finished off the last defender. (Sisko level 8.)

(2) I ordered the Defiant to head to the dry dock for repairs, and the crew went to work on damage control in transit. Soon the ship was fully repaired.

(3) We scanned Core Sector 5 and found the second Borg Cube. There are two Romulan warbirds nearby, and their intentions are unknown. The Defiant warped into a dust cloud near the Cube to scan it, finding a powerful array of weapons. I decided to wait until my entire crew is rested and ready before engaging the Borg. In the meantime, I ordered Gowron to knock out one of the warbirds using our special tactics and his proficiency with long-range phasers to overcome the enemy’s phaser resistance. Then I signaled “Battle Stations” and attacked the other warbird, destroying it after blocking its attack.

(4) I decided on a crafty maneuver. The Defiant warped to the Cube and used warp manipulation to create a perfect cloak, preventing the enemy from detecting us and firing. Then we beamed an away team onto the Cube and destroyed some of the defenders. (Sisko level 9.)

(5) I ordered the Defiant to attack the Cube again. This time we researched data to employ our super-weapon, unleashing a long-range pulse torpedo attack that destroyed a Borg defender. I used photon pulse shields to block one defender, but the other damaged the Defiant slightly.

Round 6

(1) I repeated the “Perfect Cloak” maneuver—it took resourcefulness and research to come up with the right data—and engaged the Borg Cube again. Gowron led one attack, and Data the other, destroying the last two defenders. (Sisko level 10.)

(2) I spent the remaining time garnering advanced technology from the destroyed Cube.

Score:

Experience 102
2xCubes destroyed 20
All Cubes destroyed 15
Unflipped Dummy Cards 17
No end of Round 5
Knowledge 11
Leadership 7
Conquest 8
Adventure 4
Damage -2

Total 187

Enjoyed the game a lot. Interesting that there was a single class-M planet in the quadrant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Dungeon Alliance Champions (October 2019)
badge
Dungeon Alliance Champions (October 2019)
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the awesome session report. I really enjoyed reading it!

Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Robert, enjoyed the narrative (good job) but the session sounds almost too easy - when playing solitaire, I hope for an extremely challenging and tense situation.

How did you find the difficulty level, and are there opportunities to increase difficulty?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Steve--

Yes, it was a bit easy. I console myself that it's all about getting a higher score next time.

One thing that makes it easier is you have greater freedom of movement. I didn't find myself surrounded by impenetrable forests at night or swamps, etc., like you often do in Mage Knight.

I'll have to give some thought to how we might tweak the game to increase difficulty. Of course, you can always increase the levels of the Borg Cubes.

Bob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Robert Leonhard wrote:
Yes, it was a bit easy.

I've already ordered the game, but this is disconcerting - I don't usually find whack-a-mole games to be very entertaining or engaging.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls