Marco Hoehener
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I am reading up on this game right now and one complaint many reviewers have is that there is almost no player interaction.

So why not introducing group quests? Some cards could have very hard monsters that you will not be able to kill alone. If you flip one of this cards it could be that the monster is not standing where you are but is somewhere else in the world and you have to team up with someone else to beat it. Or quests need more dice than one player can max roll so he/she needs support from another player.

In a 3+ player game you could also negotiate about the loot 'who get's what' while in a two player game it is 50:50 or so.

It think that would be an easy fix for the player interaction and can be easy implemented in a future expansion.

What you Runebounders think?

(PS: I have no idea if I am the first one to suggest this, I didn't go through the 150+ posts in this forum, so please accept my apologies if I'm just preaching to the choir)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Suggestion to FFA: More player interaction by introducing Group Quests
mhoehener wrote:
I am reading up on this game right now and one complaint many reviewers have is that there is almost no player interaction.

But, also, one thing many reviewers like about it is that there is little player interaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Runebound has never been in any of its' 3 iterations, and probably never will be, a group, or party adventure game.

The earlier editions had Allies, which would allow you to build a proxy party to take on tougher adventures.
At its' core, Runebound has always been a race game. A race to level and gear up to save the world before anyone else can take the gold and glory.

I think you're asking Runebound to be something it's not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armand
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
mhoehener wrote:

But, also, one thing many reviewers like about it is that there is little player interaction.

Time for David to punch the snark-clock. We may not like the way he does his job, but he certainly is consistent.

OP, this is actually a wonderful suggestion, as anyone with a mind open to admitting a new idea can see. The game would be elevated immensely by the need for teamwork. I very much hope FFG take note of it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
doctoryes0 wrote:
Time for David to punch the snark-clock. We may not like the way he does his job, but he certainly is consistent.

There's no snark at all. Some people like more interaction and some people like less. Some people also enjoy some games with a lot of interaction and other games with very little. Clearly there are a lot of people who prefer Runebound the way it is, otherwise it wouldn't be that way. Of course you can also design a variant that some people will like more, while others like it less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Talisman-like games don't play well with interaction. Everyone's a hero, everyone wants to get big, to get good loot and skills. If someone gets behind, because got killed or something like that, that person won't have any chance to catch up. So far, unsolvable problem. These games are just race games, for better or worse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armand
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
If someone gets behind, because got killed or something like that, that person won't have any chance to catch up. So far, unsolvable problem. These games are just race games, for better or worse.

There is no such thing as an unsolvable problem in game design.

If players have fallen behind the leader, giving them an opportunity to team up and gain a reward greater than what they could have gained alone would be a very good balancing mechanism. Those who are behind would simply refuse to team up with a leader unless they were able to gain on that leader by doing so.

Shifting alliances are, imho, one of the most exciting and compelling aspects of modern game design. I know I'm not alone in that assertion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
doctoryes0 wrote:
There is no such thing as an unsolvable problem in game design.

Designing a game to satisfy both you and me, is an unsolvable problem.

Runebound can't be changed to be more to your tastes without making other people like it less. If that weren't true it would already be that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
doctoryes0 wrote:

If players have fallen behind the leader, giving them an opportunity to team up and gain a reward greater than what they could have gained alone would be a very good balancing mechanism. Those who are behind would simply refuse to team up with a leader unless they were able to gain on that leader by doing so.

Shifting alliances are, imho, one of the most exciting and compelling aspects of modern game design. I know I'm not alone in that assertion.

You're describing a game of Eclipse or Game of Thrones, not an adventure push your luck style that Runebound is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Clarke
Canada
Port Coquitlam
B.C.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an excellent game as designed. It's not meant to be a co-op. There are lots of other games out there that are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Le Huray
Jersey
St. Johns
United Kingdom
msg tools
badge
I like unusual themes.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the op is not asking for a full co-op game but a quest card that provides a monster that is so hard players need to team up; so some team-up rules could be implemented.

This is not to say that all quest cards need to be co-op cards. So those people who don't want to team-up can go and find a different quest to do.

Hardly game breaking, and wouldn't change the game completely.

Some of you Runebund players seem a little adverse to new ideas. When was 'A Game of Thones' ever co-operative?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not against variants. On the other hand, I mostly play Runebound 2p, cooperative quests within a 2-player competitive game don't really do much. It makes slightly more sense for players to cooperate if you have more than 2 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Le Huray
Jersey
St. Johns
United Kingdom
msg tools
badge
I like unusual themes.
mbmbmbmbmb
Fair point David.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Hoehener
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
eatshootsandleafs wrote:
I think the op is not asking for a full co-op game but a quest card that provides a monster that is so hard players need to team up; so some team-up rules could be implemented.

This is not to say that all quest cards need to be co-op cards. So those people who don't want to team-up can go and find a different quest to do.

Hardly game breaking, and wouldn't change the game completely.

Some of you Runebund players seem a little adverse to new ideas. When was 'A Game of Thones' ever co-operative?

Exactly, thanks.

I am talking about 5-6 cards maybe even less per deck. The core game should still be every hero for themself, but the occasional group quest would be fun i imagine and the negotioation about the loot falls right in with the race: what are you willing to share so that at the same time you still keep the edge.

And you could easily mark them so they could be sorted out in a 2p game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shuwar wrote:
I think the designers could make it into a cooperative scenario/expansion, where e.g. instead of a big boss at the end, we would get several sub-bosses that spawns in various locations and have to be dealt with by all the heroes in the time limit.

Language in the english rulebook leads me to believe a cooperative adventure is on the horizon, or at least under enough consideration to leave the door open.

*edit: the line in question:

Page 2, Under Game Overview wrote:
Each scenario has its own narrative and victory conditions. In the two scenarios included in this box, players compete against each other, racing to defeat the villain and win the game.

The implication being that other scenarios would not necessarily be competitive in this manner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Also: might want to change FFA to FFG in the title.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Hoehener
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
Shuwar wrote:
I think the designers could make it into a cooperative scenario/expansion, where e.g. instead of a big boss at the end, we would get several sub-bosses that spawns in various locations and have to be dealt with by all the heroes in the time limit.

Language in the english rulebook leads me to believe a cooperative adventure is on the horizon, or at least under enough consideration to leave the door open.

*edit: the line in question:

Page 2, Under Game Overview wrote:
Each scenario has its own narrative and victory conditions. In the two scenarios included in this box, players compete against each other, racing to defeat the villain and win the game.

The implication being that other scenarios would not necessarily be competitive in this manner.

I actually don't want a cooperative scenario but group quests where u have to work together for a moment and negotiate about the distribution of the loot.

@rattkin: Thx for the FFA/FFG typo. Just changed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mhoehener wrote:

I actually don't want a cooperative scenario but group quests where u have to work together for a moment and negotiate about the distribution of the loot.

I'm indifferent to their inclusion, but semi cooperative is often fairly hard to nail for developers. Honestly, I don't have much faith in FFG hitting that one out of the park.

I look to games like Orléans: Invasion for stellar examples of flipping a competitive framework into something cooperative -- you're presented with a series of personal and collective tasks that must be completed. You're given the means to aid your cohorts in their personalized obligations, but faced with enough personal obligation to never make that an easy decision.. Both success and failure are collectively shared, which might feel lame at first, but ultimately makes sense when presented with the kind of apocalyptic scenarios which normally drive Runebound's narrative conceits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VonMeister
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any interest in an "Overlord" kind of play mode for PvP?
Such a thing would likely require an entire box of materials, cards, rules and such but I'd developed well I think it could really work. The bad guy is essentially the Sauron of the game as the heroes are questing to defeat him.
I wouldn't play that mode all the time but think it could be fun for a change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls