Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Hartman
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When do you get to change alignment? I seem to be missing this in the rules... Is it just a free action? If so that makes a water character ability mostly useless (requires player to reverse alignment to avoid hex) unless it was played at the game's end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Saxberg
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have a rulebook handy so I confess I can't remember if this was changed or not from my original.

But as I envisioned it, you could only change alignments when a specific card or power allowed it... it was not something you were otherwise able to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul,

From the downloaded rules, version 1.5d, it says the following:

Quote:
Alignment

At the start of the game, each player and Goddess
is given a secret alignment — Light or Dark — as
indicated by Alignment Tokens. Alignment Tokens
are never revealed unless a card or power instructs
otherwise.

During the course of the game, players may change
alignment. If this happens, do not reveal the
Alignment Token. Instead, place a Reversal Ankh
on top of that player’s Alignment Token. If the
player subsequently changes back to their original
alignment, simply remove the Reversal Ankh.

Don't know if that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Hartman
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I looked through the artifact cards and saw nothing about alignment changing.

The rules, as David posted, seem to read as if players can do it at will.

If it is just a power that changes alignment, then that would mean so far only the water witch "The Siren" can force an alignment change (we are playing fire, earth and water)

EDIT: We played it though as Paul suggested, and did not let the player change alignment at will. That definitely made it harder, but put me on the winning side (dark) at the end, causing a tie with the wife. Had I been left on light (and my daughter not tried to hex me) I would have been eliminated with her (she and I both started as Light) at the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Artifacts: These artifacts allow a player to reverse alignment
- Traitor's Speak
- White Totem
- Black Totem

Coven: The Village has a "Personal Edict" that reverses a player's alignment.

That is about all I could find. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Hartman
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, must have missed them when flipping through the deck.

We did as Paul suggested, and played the base game, however we did use character cards and starting artifacts.

That was the only real rules question that came up for us while playing today, glad we decided on the "correct" way (none of us had drawn those artifacts, in fact only a few artifacts were drawn).

Going to post our "initial impression" review shortly!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Saxberg
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the research. I believe that actually is *intended* to confirm what I posted... I believe it is meant to indicate "players may change sides [as a result of powers and effects] during the game".

(I never intended players to be able to simply change sides at will. What my memory was failing me on was, we had experimented in playtesting to allow players to change sides for a (sizeable) cost, but I couldn't remember if that had made it into the final game or not.)

Note as well that some of the character powers also grant their owners or their opponents the ability to change sides under certain circumstances.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I agree that you must have a card or effect that lets you change alignment. If not, then everyone could purposely hurt one side or the other only to change sides right before game end. I do not think the game was intended to be played that way. You should probably try to help whatever team you are on at all times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls