Chris District
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi. Asking veterans for tips or tricks for either of these two things when playing the physical game:

1. How do you keep track of what rails you've used for your runs? Not that much of a problem in early or mid game obviously, but say you get to end game and have a 5T and a Diesel, or even just a Diesel, how do you keep track of your runs and make sure you're not doubling back on tracks or doing anything illegal?

2. Any tips for remembering which stocks players have already sold during a stock round so that people don't buy stuff they previously sold?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
To track what runs I'm using, I just use a scrap of paper and us a simple dividend-per-share value for each stop on a run. So in your example case, I might have something like:

5: 8-4-3-1-4
D: 8-1-1-3-1-4-4-2-4-7

It's usually trivial to easily identify start and end points or at least a Really Big City on the route. In this case, the $80 revenue city will stand out as an obvious location for reference and as I adjust my routes I just make sure that I don't cross over and double up on track.

If I am playing a game where I am running numerous companies or where the number of routes is a little more weighty, then I'll usually use an abbreviated city/hex name on each end of the run to help more quickly find the route. For instance it might start with (Tor)onto and end with (Buf)falo.

As for the second note, I've never played a game where this wasn't easy enough for everyone to recall (I've never played 1817...). If you are playing such a game, I'd just once again use a piece of scrap paper and jot down SR(X) sales, and then each time a player sells stock, just note the player and the corporation, such as JR:NYC,PRR and then refer to that as needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell InGA
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
#1: Usually there are enough eyes on the board so that it's not a problem.

#2: For 1830, I printed chips "Sold B&O", etc. Someone is in charge of handing these out during the stock round. They get turned in at the end.

For general 18xx use I have a table of 8x10. This goes into a document protector and someone is given a grease pencil and writes in names and RR names. Risk pieces are used to mark when someone does a sale.

*** I think any of this is worth the effort! The game breaks down if someone accidently is able to sell and then buy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris District
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rules_heretic wrote:
#2: For 1830, I printed chips "Sold B&O", etc. Someone is in charge of handing these out during the stock round. They get turned in at the end.

Great idea. I thought about doing something like this but I am sort of profoundly un-crafty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Allard
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mb
We have a simple solution to the 'who sold what this turn' in my group.

We don't sell shares! We are investors and builders. <G>

JimA

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No tricks, just simple short-term memory. More simply, it rarely ever comes up beyond a, "Uhh, show me those routes again?"

Admittedly the train running/track re-use bit can get a bit rough, as it did last night when one player was running three 7+ trains in one company. His final routes had one of his trains hitting 5 hexes twice...but using different track on those hexes each time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel van der Hoorn
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
No tricks, just simple short-term memory. More simply, it rarely ever comes up beyond a, "Uhh, show me those routes again?"
Same here.

When we hit 3 ORs per SR we usually write down what a company's trains ran for (we don't use a moderator). So next OR, if you upgrade a tile, just add the difference (ceteris paribus).

For who sold what in a SR, we just use our memory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Place a tile spacer (small plastic "X" used in laying ceramic tiles) to mark the stops along each route.

edit: Use the 1/8th inch (3mm) size. A bag of 500 can be found at any big box hardware store for around $6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Moura
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For runs, I always play a game and run the iPad app 'Survey Party'. It keeps track of all tiles laid, the trains a company has, and how much each run is worth. It's great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls