Michal K
Poland
Warsaw
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I would like to ask for your recommendation regarding Julius Caesar Bellum Gallicum (Gallic War) book. I am looking for a position with quality maps and if possible, contemporary commentary (as Caesar, as in each propaganda, exaggerated some things while put silence to others).

I know sources (like: http://classics.mit.edu/Caesar/gallic.html) where you can read translated text, but I am looking for "tangible" book, nicely published, loving to see all those battles and campaigns depicted against Gaul map.

CLARIFICATION:
Just one comment as I might not be clear in my post - would be great to have original Caesar text, translated with commentary and maps. Not sure if I am not too ambitious in my request...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Tin
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is another thread about book recommendation.

Someone said Caesar's Gallic Wars (Kate Gilliver) was a good choice. I have borrowed a copy from the local library and agree to that observation.

It did have maps and was reasonably easy to understand, and let me grasp enough historical background to enjoy the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal K
Poland
Warsaw
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hokuto_su wrote:
There is another thread about book recommendation.

Someone said Caesar's Gallic Wars (Kate Gilliver) was a good choice. I have borrowed a copy from the local library and agree to that observation.

It did have maps and was reasonably easy to understand, and let me grasp enough historical background to enjoy the game.

I will check that position - thanks fo rquick reply!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Conroy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find those Osprey books have nice illustrations but are surprisingly weak on the maps side of things. Also, in this case I don't think you could do better than reading a good translation of the original - it's not long. Carolyn Hammond's is the best in my view.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Strattanville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Landmark series is supposed to put out a Julius Caesar book in 2017! They have detailed editions of Herodotus, Thucydides, Xenophon and Arrian with great maps and commentary! All excellent books worth checking out!cool

http://www.thelandmarkancienthistories.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Tin
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally find that the Osprey book fits me better than the commentary. Caesar's commentary was like newspaper of ancient Rome. It included lots of alien names that is not known to me (what the hell was Helvetii migration?)

The Osprey book included background information which makes understanding things easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls