Kemet» Forums » General

Subject: Long story short, is the expansion worth it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gustavo Sanchez
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've read the many mixed reviews regarding the expansion, so if you had to vote on the expansion (taking into account its various pros and cons), would you say that it's worth it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
~~~Crazy Adam~~~ ~~~Mad Ayzarc~~~
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Congratulations. You have just discovered the secret message.
badge
Please send your answer to Old Pink, care of the Funny Farm, Chalfont.
mbmbmbmbmb
Long answer short:

Is it necessary? No. Kemet alone provides quite a bit of variety over multiple games. The best part about the expansion is the fourth power type (black) as it provides even more variety. I'd recommend this expansion in a heartbeat to those who have rated Kemet a 9 or a 10, if just to be a completest. But you will not include the expansion and say to yourself, "This is the game Kemet always should have been." The most significant module, "The Path of Ta-Seti" feels very much like an add-on expansion that gives you this whole other thing to do. But plain vanilla Kemet doesn't feel like it's missing something after using the Ta-Seti board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrii Chabykin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mb
Why is it so expensive?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko J
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mb
Chabster wrote:
Why is it so expensive?

Big board. New minis. Design. I can see how those would up the price tag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chapman
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
Oh, alright - except for Codenames
badge
No, this is NOT my bloody "fursona"
mbmbmbmbmb
freechinanow wrote:
Long answer short:

Is it necessary? No. Kemet alone provides quite a bit of variety over multiple games. The best part about the expansion is the fourth power type (black) as it provides even more variety. I'd recommend this expansion in a heartbeat to those who have rated Kemet a 9 or a 10, if just to be a completest. But you will not include the expansion and say to yourself, "This is the game Kemet always should have been." The most significant module, "The Path of Ta-Seti" feels very much like an add-on expansion that gives you this whole other thing to do. But plain vanilla Kemet doesn't feel like it's missing something after using the Ta-Seti board.

I actually don't like the Path to Ta-Seti. I think it adds nothing to the game while extending the length and increasing the footprint.

The black power tiles, on the other hand, are great; they make it harder to get screwed out of a general strategy, and at some point players have to choose what they don't want to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lind
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Module 4, the new win condition. But you don't have to buy the expansion to use it, just look up the expansion rules on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
The new win condition 'module' is good as is the new player order 'module', but these are essentially just rules so you could add these just by looking up the rule book - the player order bit needs some counters but you could just use generic coins or tokens.

The Ta-Seti module is probably best for when you are playing with only 2, or possibly 3, players as with more than that, and as others have said, it simply adds too much else to think about and makes the game longer as a consequence.

The black pyramid and associated techs are great and do add variety but are probably best for when you are playing 4 or 5 player, otherwise it removes a large element of competition for the techs and especially the VP's and monster techs.

So definitely not essential but worth it if you are a fan of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Deever
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nexbot wrote:
I've read the many mixed reviews regarding the expansion, so if you had to vote on the expansion (taking into account its various pros and cons), would you say that it's worth it?

So, my gaming group played Kemet for the first time last night and went ahead and included the black power tiles, new battle/DI cards, and the Priest's Path as part of our game. For that reason, I can't give you a fair comparison in terms of how fun Kemet is with the expansion(s) vs. without the expansion.

What I can tell you is the game is amazing- we all had a lot of fun, and the various expansion modules really cranked up the options and strategies used. Each player's unique play-style really came thru.

After playing with the expansion, I can't imagine playing this game without.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Sanchez
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ravepig wrote:
nexbot wrote:

So, my gaming group played Kemet for the first time last night and went ahead and included the black power tiles, new battle/DI cards, and the Priest's Path as part of our game. For that reason, I can't give you a fair comparison in terms of how fun Kemet is with the expansion(s) vs. without the expansion.

What I can tell you is the game is amazing- we all had a lot of fun, and the various expansion modules really cranked up the options and strategies used. Each player's unique play-style really came thru.

Just so I understand, was there anything from the expansion that you left out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Deever
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nexbot wrote:
Ravepig wrote:
nexbot wrote:

Just so I understand, was there anything from the expansion that you left out?

We kept the turn order module out- we personally liked the idea of the last place player determining turn order. We also left out the ability to win the game during the middle of the day phase. So, we basically kept turn order and victory conditions true to the core game. But the three modules we did add are very much worth it in my opinion... lot of game for the money!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.