Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I'm only a dabbler when it comes to wargaming and with my new-found love of the COIN series I have mainly played multiplayer solitaire - so for this 4th I tried to do a full game with the procedural AI. Please forgive the brevity, beyond a few breaks I've been learning the AI for about 6-8 hours (plus a few hours for breaks and watching Minions)... my notes are a mess. Anyway, I began by rolling off with d3 for which side to play, the Patriots won out against the British.

It was a slow year. Indians slowly built up in the Northwest Territory, the Patriots formed the New Jersey Marines and cemented a hold on Massachusetts with 2 forts and many Militia, and the British took control of many of the cities. The winter was rough, and the newly built Patriot Fort was soon abandoned.

The year the Declaration of Independence was declared, and a dark year for the insurgents. The British cemented a hold on the south, including control of many colonies, while pushing the Patriots out of Philadelphia. Their previous year's generosity to their loyal subjects had cemented a hold on the colonies, and only the bloody skirmishes with the Patriots kept them from victory. The Patriots had little success beyond skirmishes - counting on the French to enter the war, they held back before the sudden onset of winter. Had only a few more casualties been inflicted on the Redcoats or a few more troops been ready, they surely would have gone to battle. Meanwhile, the Indian threat kept silently growing, spreading into the Southwest territory.

This was the year when everything changed. Despite the British taking control of all the cities again, sending out huge payments in reward to their loyal southerners, their stunning success in India which lessened the insult of Patriot inflicted casualties, and the withdrawal of the Patriots into Massachusetts - and despite their near dominance of the colonies, the Patriots came back strong. Washington marched into New York City and, despite his defeats, held on - and then the French declared a Treaty of Alliance. In one fell swoop, they bolstered the troops in Massachusetts and blockaded New York, sent troops to the West Indies to and nearly wiped out the British in a skirmish, and finally had their French fleets arrive with troops and continentals to relieve the besieged Patriot fort in Charleston. By this time the Indians had encroached into Pennsylvania and even Maryland and Delaware - so with the influx of troops the Patriots marched out of Massachusetts and reestablished control in the Northeast. Poised to relieve Washington's New York City garrison, they purged the natives from Maryland and Delaware.

Brant replied with his own brilliant stroke, seizing back the Maryland and Delaware colonies. Firmly established in the Northwest and Southwest territories plus in Pennsylvania, the tribes re-exerted their rights to this region and purged the Patriot forces. They were quickly relieved with a large garrison of British troops and Tories.

The French continued to lead the battle, taking back Boston, New York, and Charleston with the Patriots - and the ranks of the Militias and Continental Armies swelled. Then the disaster struck - overcome with enthusiasm they charged into battle in North Carolina. The Patriots had only a thin edge as they attacked the British forces in the fort, and in the end the fort became the decisive factor. Humiliated, the Patriots had to retreat into the swamps and back mountains while Tory support surged in North Carolina... and then winter fell.

--------------------------------------------------

Technically, I was only at the halfway mark. With Boston and New York blockaded, support was only 8 points ahead of opposition. However, July 4th had ended and I had sunk many hours into trying to decipher rules... the hardest being the Brilliant Strokes cards and figuring out what 2 limited operations and 1 special action they would take and what order (either that part is missing or my glassed over eyes couldn't see it in the rulebook). With the Indians satisfying their secondary condition, I decided the French lifted their blockades and the true victor of the Revolutionary War were the natives of the land... with their control of the central region of the colonies and their villages growing, the natives of the land had finally come home. So ends my July 4th excursion into Liberty or Death: The American Insurrection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nice report! One quick comment:

Verbosity wrote:
However, July 4th had ended and I had sunk many hours into trying to decipher rules...
the hardest being the Brilliant Strokes cards and figuring out what 2 limited operations and 1 special action they would take and what order (either that part is missing or my glassed over eyes couldn't see it in the rulebook).

Rule 8.3.7 describe how bots execute Brilliant Strokes: always in the order (LimCom with Leader), (Special Activity), (LimCom).

Regards,
Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Buchanan
United States
RSF
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice report - thanks for sharing! Love the narrative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Miyares
United States
Lorton
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't feel bad about not having a detailed aar, I still haven't finished transcribing the notes of my last solo session. Taking notes of detailed actions practically doubled the playtime!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.