7 Posts

Friedrich» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Austrian strategy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
bingo lotto
msg tools
Austria togheter with the imperial army is truly a hell of an opponent
for Prussia. What Austria does or doesnt do will have a huge impact on the outcome for all players.

I havent tried this strategy as I usually play prussia, but from my experience, this ought to be a killer.

The mission for the Austrian generals are to make way for an imperial victory. Its therefore important ti pay attention to what happens with France, you dont want Imperial army to switch player....

Its impossible to go into detail since the TC will influence the decisions.

Stack three Austrian generals, with 22 troops and head for Sachsen.
Use 1 general with 2 tropps as a follower togheter with one supplytrain.

The last supply train and general with 6 troops are used to take objectives in the eastern part of prussia.

Imperial army are supposed to slowly grab the objectives one bye one, not risking a direct attack from Prussia. Austria is supposed to wear Prussia down not in the eatstern part but only in the colours
around Sachsen.

I think Prussia will have a rough ride against this strategy. They will most likely need the help of The cards of fate against this strategy. Prussia needs to be strong in Diamonds and dont waste a single diamond, if they do they will certainly loose as the defending of Dresden will decide the outcome.

The problem with this strategy is that it could give the victory to the other players and it takes time to fulfill it. If Prussia are forced to leave its colour strategy, doom may await on all the fronts of Europe.

----

Its possible to play the strategy "all in", using all 5 generals in the fight of Sachsen!!!

A fight against 30 armies divided between two stacks will be a hard fight.

I wonder if the rule that states that Imperial army switches player has anything to do with this possible strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Low
United States
Mansfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Austria is a monster, but going for an Imperial victory isn't faster or easier than going for a direct Austrian win IMHO.

The triple general stack is powerful for any country, but doesn't solve every problem. If Prussia recognizes what you are doing it isn't hard for Prussia to dance around Austria, giving and re-taking objectives.

I suggest it is wiser to have a viable strategy to win with both Austria and Imperials, and then pursue the road that isn't blocked as well by Prussia and your TCs.

Flexibility is key.

-Greg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Richardson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
How does the Austrian or I guess the Imperial player win if the Prussian player just avoids the big stack?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bingo lotto
msg tools
Try to encirle Prussia and force the Prussian player to use cards when there is a battle.
When its your turn play 0, this forces your opponent to use cards.

Personally i think that its easier to avoid this problem if you aim for a win with imperial army. Use Austria to kick Prussia out of Sachsen.
There arent any room for dancing around in the yellow areas.

Remember that the cards forces you to make tactical descisions, take my earlier post with a grain of salt, if Austria is strong in diamonds i would definately go for an imperial army victory.

what a fun game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard sivel
Germany
berlin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Quote:
I wonder if the rule that states that Imperial army switches player has anything to do with this possible strategy.

Originally, the rule that IA switches players was introduced to make sure that all players participate till the end.

During playtest it turned out that this has the wonderful side effect, that Austria runs the risk that another player will win, if the Austrian forces are used in an ahistorical approach.

Your suggested strategy is a valid one. Whether it is a real winning-strategy, i have my doubts. The most important downsides are:

* The win can go to another player if IA switches players. Since Austria has not engaged very much in Silesia, her chances on victory are slim

* IA has only one general. So, the pure physical time needed to walk over all 10 objectives is enormous. IIRC the fastest moving pattern needs 9 turns (and only if there is not even one delay by defending / protecting Prussians)

* Since IA moves after Austria, quite often the Austrian pieces are obstacles.

* If the Prussians manage to break through the Austrian protection screen and get in combat with IA, the chances that IA goes offmap is quite high.

* Note also, that the Austrian do not protect the IA conquered objectives. So, for instance, while the IA is manoevering in Southern Saxony (at Dresden), the Prussians will find it quite easy to re-conquer Naumburg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton Telle
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried this strategy when playing Austria the last time. It did not work out well.

Is send off four generals with about 27 armies to Saxony. The problem was that Prussia did dance around me, and then tried to recapture Dresden or Pirna, while I was already on the way to Torgau and Leipzig. I did, however , defend those cities with the supply train of the Imperial Army with the aid of a Austrian general.
Another problem was, that Prussia of course tried to attack the Austrian supply train which supplied the troops in Saxony. Of course, one could move with both trains and all troops to Saxony, but Prussia would immediately move his generals from Silesia to Saxony, too.
A more important Problem was, that Prussia did in fact attack the Imperial Army and brought it down. It did not play well - I could have done better. Yet still, time was running out. It did not work out quite as fast as I hoped. Maybe I will try this strategy one more time, but I got quite skeptical last time.

France did win this game in round 11.

Time is the crucial factor! The odds are that the Imperial Army changes the ally by the end of Round 15 (15.13 to be more precise). Note that not only Pompadour may play the Imperial Army by the end, but also Elisabeth when Russia and Sweden drop out.

By the way, Hildi does only need 8 turns to capture all 10 objectives if not hindered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bingo lotto
msg tools
Dealing with the might of Austria and Imperial army.

Prussia should from the start pay attention to the Imperial Army.
Sending one general south early to deal with the IA is crucial.
The longer Prussia waits the bigger the threat from IA.
France is not much of a problem when Prussia combines its strenght from Hannover, using one of its general to hunt down the IA is well worth the effort and it will help to prevent the combined strenght of Austria and IA in the late game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.