7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: From On The (Dusty) Shelf To Obsession rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sherri Fillingham
msg tools
mbmb
This past weekend, I had determined to do a SoloCon. I had picked out at least half a dozen games suitable for a solitaire player and had even made my first GeekList to celebrate the concept.

On Friday evening, as I was pulling all the games together, I reached in the back of the closet (or game cabinet, in this case) and came across a long-neglected and only once used copy of Elder Sign.

"Hmm," I thought. "This can be done solo. I'll add it to the pile."

I played a couple of my more familiar games on Friday and Saturday, then pulled out Elder Sign and decided to give it a try. I had been playing the IOS version and felt at least a little familiar with the rules ....

It's now Tuesday. Amazon is delivering my second expansion (Gates of Arkham) today, after I picked up Unseen Forces on Sunday. I played only one or two other games the rest of the weekend, and those were the "comfort games" that I tend to pull out if I'm not 100% sharp, or tired, etc.

I'll stop to get card sleeves for the new expansion tonight on my way home from work.

So, I'm a sad and pitiful person.

But, the actual point of this post (and this is burying the lead more than a little): Have you ever pulled a long-neglected game off the shelf and been consumed with it? If so, what was it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not entirely what you're going for, but my girlfriend's parents had a copy of El Grande sitting in their shelf, gathering dust for 20 years. My girlfriend told them it was on my wish list, so they gave it to me as a birthday gift I've only played it twice so far, but I absolutely love it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin V
United States
Victorville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Fan of Cartoonist Phil Foglio
mbmbmbmbmb
Much like Ron above, this is a bit off your topic, but I'll share none-the-less...

I was into RPG's for many years before diving into board games a short while back. While I was into the RPG's, I would sometimes paint up a few miniatures, especially for the player characters and for a few important non-player characters. I have not painted seriously for a long time. My paints sat in my hot, dry garage and have long since dried. I got rid of them in a cleaning I did last year.

Recently, I picked up a game that had figures that needed painting, so I dusted off the old brushes and purchased a few select colors to get the job done. I've been painting for the past few weeks. I find it relaxing and fun, although it is painfully obvious that my eyesight is going. Oh well...old age...

Lastly, and more importantly, I want to address a comment from your original post. I'm not sure what made you say you're sad and pitiful. I think rediscovering a board game you now enjoy is a wonderful thing. Getting sleeves to protect your cards is a great idea. Good for you for enjoying your game and for wanting to take care of it.

Happy gaming and enjoy your rediscovered game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Sometimes I'm the shark; sometimes I'm the swimmer.
mbmbmbmbmb
slfillingham wrote:
This past weekend, I had determined to do a SoloCon. I had picked out at least half a dozen games suitable for a solitaire player and had even made my first GeekList to celebrate the concept.
I'd like to see that list. Where is it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sherri Fillingham
msg tools
mbmb
I did the list before my SoloCon, which got completely overrun by Elder Sign. (Original My SoloCon)

I wound up playing only a few games: Legendary, Dice City, Pandemic: The Cure and tons of Elder Sign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Heisenberg
Spain
Death Star
A galaxy far, far away
flag msg tools
"Apology accepted, Captain Needa."
badge
"Say my name"
mbmbmbmbmb
Elder Sign is great

I have yet to try Gates of Arkham, though I own it, and most say the game gets even better with it. Still having fun at the museum here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sherri Fillingham
msg tools
mbmb
I'm still somewhat ambivalent about Gates of Arkham (having played it three times now). I definitely amps up the difficulty level (and definitely check out the forums on Gates if you get it as they have some strategies to ramp up the action a bit more slowly). There's also a lot more to keep track of. I enjoy it on one level, but don't ever see myself tossing away (even metaphorically) my museum adventures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.