Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mondo cool:

http://fusion.net/story/321329/knightscope-security-robot-ub...

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
That is really neat.

I will have some schadenfreude for the first person who steals a security bot and doesn't understand that it invariably has a GPS tracker in it.

It does make me wonder who is liable if a vehicle collides with the robot, but there should be footage, so that's handy too. Obviously this has implications in the future -- what happens when a self-driving car collides with an autonomous robot? Are programmers going to be expert witnesses soon?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, seriously $7 an hour for a robo-guard?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:

I had the same thought! Why does it cost anything?

They must be renting it out from another company or something.

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:
wifwendell wrote:

Ferret

Skynet's rates are very cheap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:
wifwendell wrote:

Ferret

Yeah, if you finish reading the article, you'll see that they're renting the bot from an external company.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Terwox wrote:
Ferretman wrote:
wifwendell wrote:

Ferret

Yeah, if you finish reading the article, you'll see that they're renting the bot from an external company.

I did indeed....on my computer there's a big honking ad clipping off the bottom couple of paragraphs, but if I WAIT for it to finish loading I eventually get the whole thing.

Ferret
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chengkai Yang
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is that what those things are? I saw one in Palo Alto the other day and the thing seemed to be the local selfie magnet. I wonder if they have a life feed back to the home office and they can remote control it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mb
How long before someone chucks it into the back of a van and sells it for parts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll bet their robo-gaurd isn't going to be all that useful, but based on all the horror stories I've heard from people who regularly have to hire security guards for events, I doubt its any worse than a real person.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
draxx01 wrote:
Is that what those things are? I saw one in Palo Alto the other day and the thing seemed to be the local selfie magnet. I wonder if they have a life feed back to the home office and they can remote control it.

Oh cool, you've seen others of these around? Did it look like the one in the pic?

I wonder if they can be color-coordinated with whatever the schema is of the company renting them? I guess they probably could ("for a small additional fee").

Ferret
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mb
Ferretman wrote:
draxx01 wrote:

Oh cool, you've seen others of these around? Did it look like the one in the pic?

I wonder if they can be color-coordinated with whatever the schema is of the company renting them? I guess they probably could ("for a small additional fee").

Ferret

By that do you mean a butt plug? (There I added S)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rcbevco wrote:
How long before someone chucks it into the back of a van and sells it for parts.

Per above, the thing is almost invariably lojacked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
draxx01 wrote:

I do wonder. That would increase the production costs considerably, so I somewhat doubt it.

I can't control my Roomba directly, and if I wanted a model that I could, it would need to add wifi capability, along with allowing for manual inputs rather than automatic ones.

It would occasionally be a useful feature, but I doubt it's in this version. (I'd be very interested to find out that I'm wrong here!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:

That might be fair market value, realistically... but yeah probably not. Once competition/mass production exists, I'd (fairly naively) assume one of these would top out in production costs of $10k or so, and at $168/day, well, that's 60 days before you hit $10k.

Seems like the company renting these out is going to do a tidy business until competitors arrive!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Terwox wrote:
rcbevco wrote:

Per above, the thing is almost invariably lojacked.

First thing you do is wrap the security bot in a wet towel. Second thing...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never have I wanted so badly to disassemble something with a baseball bat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Why does it need a separate camera for plate recognition, I wonder?

It appears that it can't see above itself. Hmmm...

And finally, it appears to be entirely vulnerable to simply dropping a towel over the thing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
Why does it need a separate camera for plate recognition, I wonder?

It appears that it can't see above itself. Hmmm...

And finally, it appears to be entirely vulnerable to simply dropping a towel over the thing...

License plates have a large amount of retroreflective materials in them that can dazzle a camera w/ contrast if it's hit at different angles.

Umm, sort of like how road signs are designed to reflect your headlights back at you more directly than a general flat surface.

If you're interested I can provide some more info. But in general, the secondary camera for the license plates probably has different specs re: luminance than the other one.

Additionally, there are potentially regulations for cameras that are used to capture license plates in order to deliver fines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GreyICE wrote:
So $7/hour works out to $61k/year. For a robot that works 24/7/365. Never gets tired, never sleeps on shift, if it ever gets sick (breaks down) they'll show up with a spare and take that one to be fixed inside a few hours. It looks like it's steel, so good luck damaging it.

This is why complaining that raising the minimum wage drives away jobs is pointless. You'd need a minimum of 4 people to cover the lot 165 hours a week and you'd need to pay them $15k to be cheaper, and they'd probably be a lot less effective. Automation will take the job regardless of how much we lower the wage.

I think it's somewhat reasonable to argue that even though in the past the minimum wage raises have not had deleterious effects, given our current positioning with automation a minimum wage increase might result in increased unemployment (or more meaningfully, a lower workforce participation rate.)

I have no idea if the above is true, mind you, but it's a good argument for why blindly saying "Well minimum wage increases worked before!" should be taken with a grain of salt. (End goal is ending inequality; hopefully, only the method differs.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Terwox wrote:
GreyICE wrote:
So $7/hour works out to $61k/year. For a robot that works 24/7/365. Never gets tired, never sleeps on shift, if it ever gets sick (breaks down) they'll show up with a spare and take that one to be fixed inside a few hours. It looks like it's steel, so good luck damaging it.

This is why complaining that raising the minimum wage drives away jobs is pointless. You'd need a minimum of 4 people to cover the lot 165 hours a week and you'd need to pay them $15k to be cheaper, and they'd probably be a lot less effective. Automation will take the job regardless of how much we lower the wage.

I think it's somewhat reasonable to argue that even though in the past the minimum wage raises have not had deleterious effects, given our current positioning with automation a minimum wage increase might result in increased unemployment (or more meaningfully, a lower workforce participation rate.)

I have no idea if the above is true, mind you, but it's a good argument for why blindly saying "Well minimum wage increases worked before!" should be taken with a grain of salt. (End goal is ending inequality; hopefully, only the method differs.)

I don't think it changes the amount of eventual unemployment.

It only changes how quickly it arrives. Keep in mind chinese robots are laying off people making $2400 a year or less.

The $7 an hour is probably highly profitable for the renting company. Somewhere above a 20% annual return on investment with a very good chance of over 33% annual return on investment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rcbevco wrote:
Ferretman wrote:
draxx01 wrote:

Ferret

I actually thought they looked more like a Dalek, but I admit to living a pure and virtuous lifestyle.....

Ferret
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
And all the out of work security guards can get jobs as Robot technicians, I'm sure there is a one-for-one swap there.

I wonder if Unions will start a clandestine sabotage campaign. Are robots scabs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GreyICE wrote:
So $7/hour works out to $61k/year. For a robot that works 24/7/365.

For 24/7. Comparing it to a standard human salary, it's $15k/year (* the standard 2080).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:
rcbevco wrote:
Ferretman wrote:
draxx01 wrote:

Ferret

I actually thought they looked more like a Dalek, but I admit to living a pure and virtuous lifestyle.....

Ferret
ABDOMINATE!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.