Bootleggers» Forums » Rules

Subject: re: remote stills - can you have more than 1? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had this game on my shelf for 2 years and have never played it (bad I know!)

I did a solo game last night to get a feel for it until I can bring it out to a games night. A lot of questions were already answered by reading through these posts but there was something I'm not sure of.

Can a player obtain more than 1 remote still? I didn't see anything in the rules saying that there was a limit. I know that one of the questions my friends will ask me is where should I put my production dice? It seems that the cops re likely to shut down a family still so I'm thinking it might not be a great idea to put all your dice there. Then again it sounds like remote stills can be sabotaged without too much effort so it might not be a good idea to put all your dice there either.

If you can have multiple remote stills maybe it's best to just spread dice out as evenly as possible I have no idea

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question. I don't see any reason why not, but doesn't seem like a good idea strategically. To get a remote still, you give up a die... you choose either 2 production dice or 1 die and a remote still.

The copper is not as big a deal as it seems. If you produce the most in one round, you get him for the next round, so you only get stuck with him if you had a good round. If he shuts you down (usually he doesn't), you produced 0, so you won't have him the following round... he goes to whoever produced the most.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Brown
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Play the game. It is a good experience. You need at least 3, but 4 or more is preferred.

Yes, you can build more than 1 remote still. There are only 6 remote still cards in the game, so in a 6 player game, if one person gets two, they are preventing another player from getting one.

Realistically, most players are going to go through the whole game with no more than 3 dice on their family and remote stills combined, simply because developing the infrastructure (trucks and places to buy the moonshine) are limited. Plus, having more production than everyone else makes you the target of thuggery from the other players. Get your family still going with one die and get a remote still with 2 dice, and then concentrate on controlling influence in a speakeasy. It is inevitable that you will get hit by thuggery once or twice, but if you can gain solid control of a speakeasy and avoid making overt enemies, you can generate profits.

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Brown
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PepsiFizz wrote:
Yes, you can build more than 1 remote still. There are only 6 remote still cards in the game, so in a 6 player game, if one person gets two, they are preventing another player from getting one.

Discussed this question with other experienced players during a game last week, and we agreed that taking a 2nd remote still would not be a good idea. If you have a remote still and you get the card that allows you to build another, it would be smarter to take 2 more dice to put on your existing remote still. By taking that card, you may have prevented another player from building another remote still, but there is no advantage to having a 2nd remote still as long as you have die spots available on your existing remote still.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.