• [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you… And I will beat you.
mbmbmbmbmb
420017 wrote:
can you spray fire if taking evasive action yes or no
simple
Amos

I don't think a simple yes or no answer should be given as there are many aspects to take into account. But here it goes....

Your personal games, YES (why not)

In the 281st BG(H) campaign, NO (because it isn't just a Y or N answer)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jasta6 wrote:

Jim,

Please, can you clarify why?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you… And I will beat you.
mbmbmbmbmb
FrUnit7 wrote:
jasta6 wrote:

Jim,

Thanks

I'll post a quick list of my thoughts that have to be addressed to keep it in line with the game and the flavor of the 281st BG(H) historical flavor.

1) Evasive maneuvers have a negative modifier for shooting, how do you apply to the current games spray fire table?

2) How would a gunner manage spray fire while the plane is convulsing through the pilots maneuvers?

3) With the current D6 setup on the Spray Fire table I feel the 16.7% chance to hit the enemy fighter is high with respect to spray firing during Evasive Maneuvers.

4) With the planes erratic movement during Evasive Maneuvers the gunners attempts to shoot would probably already be a form of Spray Fire...

That is my thoughts. As for someones personal games I feel they can experiment with different game mechanics. That is how we get workable variants for games. Maybe we could get a usable variant for Evasive Spray Fire in the future if it is worked out.

Jim cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO evasive maneuvers have a negative modifier to aiming, not to shooting.

As spray fire represents long bursts of unaimed spray of bullets, I don't think it should be penalized by evasive maneuvers. Your bursts of tracers should still impress German pilots the same way, and with the same lucky 16.7% chance to hit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United Kingdom
Rochford
Essex
flag msg tools
We few,we happy few,we band of brothers;For he today that sheds his blood with me Shall be my brother: be he ne’er so vile;And gentlemen in England now-abed Shall think themself accurs’d they were no here That fought with us upon Saint Crispin’s day.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think we should have a rule where every Bomber in the squadron should spray fire at the same time...

with all that lead in the air their bound to hit the enemy fighters

Spray Fire so thick you could get out and walk on it..
comes to mind whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AMOS BURKE
United Kingdom
WALSALL
WEST MIDLANDS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FrUnit7 wrote:
As spray fire represents long bursts of unaimed spray of bullets, I don't think it should be penalized by evasive maneuvers. Your bursts of tracers should still impress German pilots the same way, and with the same lucky 16.7% chance to hit.

Am going to go for yes as it still a "6" to get a hit
Amos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max
United States
Fuquay Varina
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Reign of Fire
badge
Bombs Away! Mission 9.
mbmbmbmbmb
jasta6 wrote:
FrUnit7 wrote:
jasta6 wrote:

Jim,

Thanks

I'll post a quick list of my thoughts that have to be addressed to keep it in line with the game and the flavor of the 281st BG(H) historical flavor.

1) Evasive maneuvers have a negative modifier for shooting, how do you apply to the current games spray fire table?

2) How would a gunner manage spray fire while the plane is convulsing through the pilots maneuvers?

3) With the current D6 setup on the Spray Fire table I feel the 16.7% chance to hit the enemy fighter is high with respect to spray firing during Evasive Maneuvers.

4) With the planes erratic movement during Evasive Maneuvers the gunners attempts to shoot would probably already be a form of Spray Fire...

That is my thoughts. As for someones personal games I feel they can experiment with different game mechanics. That is how we get workable variants for games. Maybe we could get a usable variant for Evasive Spray Fire in the future if it is worked out.

Jim cool

You could just say with evasive maneuvers that a 6 simply drives the enemy away if you don't think they should be able to hit, but I would think they could still spray.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FrUnit7 wrote:
IMO evasive maneuvers have a negative modifier to aiming, not to shooting.

I respectfully disagree. There is still an element of aiming to the spray fire. As in the game the rules state that you are spraying at a clock and altitude "Spot." For example, 3:00 O'clock-High, and you are filling it with led. If the Fortress is juking and sliding and changing altitude that can/will place the bullets in the wrong "Spot." Besides the crew will also be thrown around and the plane changes attitude in respect to its normal flight.

So can spray fire hit an enemy while the pilot flings the bomber around to avoid getting hit, Yes, but I feel it would be much harder for this to happen.

I played around with expanding the spray fire hit chart at lunch today and have yet to come up with a truly satisfactory result. I do think that there should be a remote chance to hit the enemy aircraft, but less than 16.7%. But this would either greatly influence the middle results.

i.e.

281st BG(H) Current Spray Fire rule(reworked).

M-5: AREA SPRAY FIRE (Revised)
Roll two die per MG using spray fire (a)(c)

1 = Guns Jam (b) | <= added % to jam?!
2 = Guns Jam (b) |
3 = Guns Jam (b) |--------16.7%
4 = Guns Jam (b) |
5 = Enemy Fighter Attacks As Normal |------25.0%
6 = Enemy Fighter Attacks As Normal |
7 = Enemy Fighter ?????? |---16.7% <= how do I divide this up? Do I add it to the Fighter attacks as normal? or the Fighter is Driven Off?
8 = Enemy Fighter Driven Off |
9 = Enemy Fighter Driven Off |------25.0%
10 = Enemy Fighter Hit |
11 = Enemy Fighter Hit |--------16.7%
12 = Enemy Fighter Hit |

NOTE:
(a) Spray fire may only be against 3, 4:30, 6, 7:30, 9 or Vertical Climb
attacks, not against 12, 1:30, 10:30 or Vertical Dive attacks.
(b) A gunner may attempt to fix a jam gun each time the B-17 enters a new zone.
Roll one die: 1,2-gun fixed; 3,4,5-remains jammed; 6-gun broken permanently.
(c) -1 To Hit if pilots are using evasive maneuvers.

281st BG(H) Current Spray Fire rule.

Roll one die per MG using spray fire (a)

1 Jams (b)/Fighter attacks normally
2 Fighter attacks normally
3 Fighter attacks normally
4 Fighter Breaks off without firing
5 Fighter Breaks off without firing
6 Fighter hit - roll for damage to fighter on Table M-2

NOTE:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Rose
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I read the original rules that describes spray fire as "hosing of an area with a long burst of unaimed spray of bullets". That said, I too believe that it was a gamble to hit an attacking fighter. Now add the "random dips, dives, banks, and weaves" into the equation from taking evasive action, and you really need to get lucky for a fighter to break off, let alone hit one.

I like's Jim's rework, but am wondering if a correction is needed since you can't roll a 1 with 2D. Or am I reading the procedure wrong?

Just read it again. The 1 would be rolled if you roll a 2 and add in the -1 modifier for taking evasive action. (Read 3 times, then comment)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aerogoose wrote:
I read the original rules that describes spray fire as "hosing of an area with a long burst of unaimed spray of bullets". That said, I too believe that it was a gamble to hit an attacking fighter...

But you are aiming at a clock and altitude "Area." As my example, 3:00 o'clock high. If the plane is undulating, that just makes "Aiming" at an "Area" very difficult.

aerogoose wrote:
I like's Jim's rework...

Thanks Jim but what to do with the die roll of "7"? I tend to want to put it towards "Fighter Attacks as Normal" but a 41% plus chance kind of turns me off of that.

Two D6 is a great die roll but every so often you get one of these setups that it just gives you a heartache.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep it simple and still use 1D6 as per standard or revised M-5 tables.

You could just apply a -1 modifier. Having no chance to hit the enemy doesn't bother me. That's already the case when firing on an ace pilot with a non-ace gunner.

Modifiers to revised M-5 table could be:
+1 against German green pilot
-1 against German ace pilot
+1 for ace gunner
-1 if B-17 evasive maneuvers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
craig grinnell
United States
speer
Illinois
flag msg tools
Screaming Eagle and Damn Proud of it!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
mixykym wrote:
I think we should have a rule where every Bomber in the squadron should spray fire at the same time...

And several other B-17s as welllaugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United Kingdom
Rochford
Essex
flag msg tools
We few,we happy few,we band of brothers;For he today that sheds his blood with me Shall be my brother: be he ne’er so vile;And gentlemen in England now-abed Shall think themself accurs’d they were no here That fought with us upon Saint Crispin’s day.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grinnell1969 wrote:
mixykym wrote:

There's enough of that from aimed fire from other B-17's laugh

Perhaps there will be less instances if they stopped aiming laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK is this what your thinking Frank.

281st BG(H) (re-reworked)

Roll one die per MG using spray fire (a) (c)

1 Jams (b)(d)/Fighter attacks normally
2 Fighter attacks normally
3 Fighter attacks normally
4 Fighter Breaks off without firing
5 Fighter Breaks off without firing
6 Fighter hit - roll for damage to fighter on Table M-2

NOTE:
(c) -1 To Hit if pilots are using evasive maneuvers. Ace gunners still get their +1 bonus.
(d) your guns will only jam on a un-modified roll of 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Koch
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could also modify (c) to add that no Ace Gunner bonus is allowed during evasive maneuvers, though this is changing rule 15.1b but only for spray fire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jasta6 wrote:

Yes exactly.

Other modifiers (green/ace pilot, ace gunner) still apply.

So an ace gunner using spray fire against a veteran pilot during evasive maneuvers rolls on the table with no modifier (+1 -1 = 0).

But a normal gunner doing the same against an ace pilot would be at -2 on the table: only 16.7% chance to make the enemy break off and 50% chance to jam his gun. Risky!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FrUnit7 wrote:
jasta6 wrote:

Yes exactly.

Other modifiers (green/ace pilot, ace gunner) still apply.

So an ace gunner using spray fire against a veteran pilot during evasive maneuvers rolls on the table with no modifier (+1 -1 = 0).

But a normal gunner doing the same against an ace pilot would be at -2 on the table: only 16.7% chance to make the enemy break off and 50% chance to jam his gun. Risky!

You would drop my added Modifier that only a natural 1 would jam the gun. My thinking is that the excessive shooting is the same if the enemy pilot is an ace or green. plus the evasive movement wouldn't effect the over heating of the gun.

Your guys thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blush Sorry Jim. My mistake!

I didn't pay attention to note (d) but I plainly agree with it though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Correia
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grinnell1969 wrote:
mixykym wrote:

If everyone is using spray fire there should be a +3 modifier to the Formation Defensive Gunnery rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Limburger59 wrote:
grinnell1969 wrote:
mixykym wrote:

If everyone is using spray fire there should be a +3 modifier to the Formation Defensive Gunnery rule.

shake There is already a provision in the game charts for formation defensive fire. It is the 1/6th chance of rolling for enemy fighters that ends in "6". ie 16, 26, 36, 46 and 56, 66 is Random Events. Now how in Gods green earth will we be able to know that "ALL" bombers were firing "Spray Fire" in the same zone in this campaigns format... We can't.

Nice try guys devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robkoch2112 wrote:
You could also modify (c) to add that no Ace Gunner bonus is allowed during evasive maneuvers, though this is changing rule 15.1b but only for spray fire.

Good call, I'll add that note to this chart. But it doesn't really change rule 15.1. You still only "Hit" on a 6 and rule 15.1 allows for ace gunner bonus too.

Oops I miss read your post, the ace gunner bonus would apply. Spray fire and evasive maneuvers both allow the use of ace gunners so I see no reason to alter this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Koch
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Follow the KISS rule ... I just wanted to point out that the exclusion could be applied to spray fire only when under evasive maneuvers. If you're an Ace you get your bonus always (unless wounded or frostbitten if I recall) and at your station.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.