Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Blood Bound» Forums » Rules

Subject: Mage staff rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
De Rode Dobbelsteen
Netherlands
Den Haag
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
In the rules it says:

"The Mage gives a “Staff” ability card to another player and takes a “Staff” ability card for himself."

We had some confusion about this, what is the point of the Mage getting a staff if the Mage already revealed its identity. What is the point for the Mage to play out question mark tokens if everybody already know that it is the Mage. Or are we misinterpreting the rules...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caitlin
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Who took the Bomp from the Bompalompalomp? Who took the Ram from the Ramalamading dong?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been a LONG time since I've played, but:

The character abilities are triggered after revealing only the rank token, right? You won't know which clan the Mage is on after the rank reveal, with the staff.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
De Rode Dobbelsteen
Netherlands
Den Haag
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
nolemonplease wrote:
It's been a LONG time since I've played, but:

The character abilities are triggered after revealing only the rank token, right? You won't know which clan the Mage is on after the rank reveal, with the staff.


Yeah but you will see the clue part in the bottom right, and that's only different with the Harlequin, so you do know their clan...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
De Rode Dobbelsteen
Netherlands
Den Haag
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
De Rode Dobbelsteen wrote:
nolemonplease wrote:
It's been a LONG time since I've played, but:

The character abilities are triggered after revealing only the rank token, right? You won't know which clan the Mage is on after the rank reveal, with the staff.


Yeah but you will see the clue part in the bottom right, and that's only different with the Harlequin, so you do know their clan...


Oh wait, only the person on your left should see the clue icon, played it wrong but was fun anyway.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
Correct. Only 1 person ever see's the clue in the corner. When you reveal a rank you don't reveal an alliance if you've only flipped ? tokens.

The Mage is a very very difficult class to play well. Even though he gives out 2 staffs it's hard to make both staffs be useful. Here's a breakdown.

1. He gives a staff away.
In this instance his best trick is to give a staff to an ally who has revealed 1 token which is their alliance. In doing so the opposing team cannot learn anything more about that player without stabbing them 2 more times and they have to do so to be sure because a player with 1 colored token revealed might be the elder.

2. Taking a staff.
Sadly this is nearly always worthless. For starters you have to be in a position where you have not revealed your alliance for taking this staff to be useful however hiding your alliance from your enemies also means hiding your alliance from your allies making this equally as bad as good for you. Further it's difficult to keep your alliance hidden once people begin revealing their alliance so revealing your rank early is just 1 fewer times your opponents needed to stab you and robs you of your "block" ability.

Lastly, as an 8 it is almost always in your interest to reveal your alliance on the first stab. That way your team will not attack you and unrevealed members of the opposing team will be hesitant to attack you cause it outs them. Then when someone on the other team stabs you and you show your ?, you get to laugh as you show them they wasted their stab on someone of very little significance.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
allstar64 wrote:
Correct. Only 1 person ever see's the clue in the corner. When you reveal a rank you don't reveal an alliance if you've only flipped ? tokens.

The Mage is a very very difficult class to play well. Even though he gives out 2 staffs it's hard to make both staffs be useful. Here's a breakdown.

1. He gives a staff away.
In this instance his best trick is to give a staff to an ally who has revealed 1 token which is their alliance. In doing so the opposing team cannot learn anything more about that player without stabbing them 2 more times and they have to do so to be sure because a player with 1 colored token revealed might be the elder.

2. Taking a staff.
Sadly this is nearly always worthless. For starters you have to be in a position where you have not revealed your alliance for taking this staff to be useful however hiding your alliance from your enemies also means hiding your alliance from your allies making this equally as bad as good for you. Further it's difficult to keep your alliance hidden once people begin revealing their alliance so revealing your rank early is just 1 fewer times your opponents needed to stab you and robs you of your "block" ability.

Lastly, as an 8 it is almost always in your interest to reveal your alliance on the first stab. That way your team will not attack you and unrevealed members of the opposing team will be hesitant to attack you cause it outs them. Then when someone on the other team stabs you and you show your ?, you get to laugh as you show them they wasted their stab on someone of very little significance.


I concur with this completely and would say in most cases to just use the mage to block and usually not use his ability.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.