Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Doran
United States
Columbia
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are now available for download on the Decision website. Unfortunately, computer ignorant as I am, I cannot set up a link. But go to te Decision main page, hit the e-rules button. It takes you to a page which includes a list og all three Decision mags. Hit the Strategy and Tactics one and that takes you to a list of all S&T game rules. Desert Fox Deluxe is the first one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lindsay
United States
Soquel
California
flag msg tools
badge
Totally randomly Braxton...
mbmbmbmbmb
http://strategyandtacticsmagazine.com/site/wp-content/upload...

Here's the LINK!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vito Pentassuglia
Italy
Trieste
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
callme DESDINOVA
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sigh...
Errata and misprints.
I thought they couldn't possibly mess this up but they burned me again.
I probably should have waited for a future printing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grognard1914 wrote:
Sigh...
Errata and misprints.
I thought they couldn't possibly mess this up but they burned me again.
I probably should have waited for a future printing.
Just out of curiosity how many errata free gems do you own? I have not received my copy and have not looked over the e-rules so I do not know how "bad" this one is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
callme DESDINOVA
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More than I can count.
But, I have started to wait for 2nd printings.

Seriously though, it's a matter of frequency and degree.
GMT and other publishers aren't nearly as bad and I have gotten replacement counters from GMT free of charge. Take a look at the rules with the link above. There is a lot of red ink that includes multiple map and counter misprints. We can get the replacement counters for only $30 by purchasing S&T #305. I hope it's a good issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Doran
United States
Columbia
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I must be looking at a different copy of the rules from you. Other than the shortlist of errata and misprints described in the online rulebook (3 map items and 4 counter items) I have not found anything remotely resembling "more than I can count".

Mind you, I don't have the hardcopy yet, since mine was a pre-order. But if the hardcopy rules resemble the online ones I am reading now, I will not be disappointed.

The red ink is not all errata. It includes "critical points," and "exceptions." As I read the rules, I (so far) have found all the red print to be critical points and rule exceptions except for the list of 3 map and 4 counter misprints I mention above. Those are located on the second page of the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Doran
United States
Columbia
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another note. Most of the folks getting this game are subscribers, so they will not be paying anything extra for the four replacement counters. Just my bad fortune to not be a subscriber...but I suspect that I will be able to get the counters anyhow, and without buying #305 (though it looks interesting enough that I might get it-a solitaire game of the fighting in China).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
callme DESDINOVA
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
narodynot wrote:
I must be looking at a different copy of the rules from you. Other than the shortlist of errata and misprints described in the online rulebook (3 map items and 4 counter items) I have not found anything remotely resembling "more than I can count".

I was not referring to the amount of errata. I was answering the question in the post immediately above mine. I am sorry if that was unclear.

Rules "exceptions" are errata.
"Critical points" are clarifications that you could argue are not totally foreseeable. I might agree with that agruement if the game(s) in question weren't decades old. When I look at my game collection most of the games that have this many errors are from Decision. I want to support them but they are making it very hard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Doran
United States
Columbia
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grognard1914 wrote:
narodynot wrote:

I was not referring to the amount of errata. I was answering the question in the post immediately above mine. I am sorry if that was unclear.

Rules "exceptions" are errata.
"Critical points" are clarifications that you could argue are not totally foreseeable. I might agree with that agruement if the game(s) in question weren't decades old. When I look at my game collection most of the games that have this many errors are from Decision. I want to support them but they are making it very hard.

That's amazing. Over the past fifty years I have owned several hundred wargames, and I cannot think of even one that was totally errata free, not even the original Desert Fox.

Rules exceptions are not errata if they are intended design effects, or if the designer notes them from the start.

Critical Points are just that. After all, first, not everyone getting this game has ever seen the old one...second, if you had not noticed, or have not bothered to actually read the rules, this game has made some substantial changes from the original. To point those out seems to me to simply make sense.

I am sorry for your earlier problems with Decision, but if they resemble what you are describing as problems here, I think the problem does not lie with the game company.

As I noted before, I so far have found only seven errata items, all of them pointed out on the second page. Every other item in red is either a noted rule exception or a point of emphasis (critical point).

Doesn't mean there won't be more, but I have not found any yet. As I noted before, I don't have a hardcopy of the game yet, so I am speaking only from a reading of the rules and the supplemental material.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.