The Resistance: Avalon» Forums » General

Subject: Avalon or Hidden Agenda? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carter Gallagher
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
I am considering purchasing either Avalon, or The Resistance plus the Hidden Agenda expansion. I have heard that Hidden Agenda and Avalon have many of the same mechanics. I was wondering, with The Resistance and Hidden Agenda costing a couple of bucks more than Avalon, which would be the recommended buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Eh, whichever theme you like. I think that Sci-Fi Resistance is and will be "more supported" in the future, but who knows? That is me speculating. Me? I own 'em both, because #yolo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
Resistance + Hidden Agenda is exactly the same as Avalon. As Clyde said, just pick the theme that you prefer. If you have a really serious group, Resistance might be better because you could get Hostile Intent later, but for a group that's not going to play it hundreds of times Avalon is more than enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless you vastly prefer the fantasy theme, get The Resistance.

The answer used to be flipped; Avalon was everything The Resistance was (minus the forgettable plot cards). Now, however, The Resistance has everything Avalon has and then some.

I'm sure in a few months IB&C will have a new kickstarter to bring the new Resistance stuff back to Avalon, along with some other new stuff. They have a fetish for forcing you to buy the same game twice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hidden Agenda.

The Resistance + Hidden Agenda has two modules which Avalon doesn't have - trapper module and Defector Module. The Defector Module is in the The Resistance: Avalon Promos (as Lancelot) but I don't think that is available at the moment. There are also two additional expansions for The Resistance:

The Resistance: Hostile Intent (Hunter module, Reverser module, Inquisitor module)
The Resistance: The Plot Thickens (Plot cards, Sargent Module, Rogue module)

The Resistance: The Plot Thickens isn't out yet. Sargent Module was in the Avalon promos as Excalibur.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
Was the Rogue Agent mod not officially released? I remember PBFing it (though I wasn't a big fan).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rogue module was in the Kickstarter edition of The Resistance: Hidden Agenda & Hostile Intent and will be in The Resistance: The Plot Thickens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.