Subject: number of rounds in a multiplayer game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've recently been brainstorming a deck of seasonal events for L&C. The expedition launched from St. Louis in late spring and reached the Pacific in late winter/early spring 2 years later, covering an 8-9 season spread. While 9 would be the absolute maximum number of events to occur during a game, 4-5 may be more playable. And so...

Despite having played MANY games of L&C, I'd never paid much attention to the number of rounds in our multiplayer games. It's easy to tell how many occur in a solo game, but I suspect that it's a bit different in multiplayer. I intend to start counting for myself, but it hasn't been hitting multiplayer lately. Instead, I've been going solo quite a bit to get my fix . I would love to hear if anyone has genuinely counted game rounds in their multiplayer sessions, and how many times you've done so. Having a firm idea of the number of rounds that will typically play will help determine which direction to take the events, and how often an event will occur.

Anyway, any data concerning the number of rounds you've played would be useful and welcome. Please include player count when you respond.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
/|\ Roland /|\
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea.

However, instead of being seasonal which tends to be more global in nature, have you also considered situational so that its a bit more thematic and targeted? Foe example, a harsh winter even should affect mountain players more than ones still down south near St Louis. So for example, you could have events keyed off of player states or locations -

The more Indians you have, the more chance of disease exposure.
The more boats you have, the greater chance of one sinking.
Strong river currents that day could lead to -1 movement on river.
Heavy snowfall in the mountains could mean food is more scarce, thus all meat costs +1 in mountains that round. And that could cause strong river currents later if it melted.

Etc etc.

Sorry, can't help you on number of rounds. You just got my brain going during my lunch break.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
There's too much buzzing in my brain with the idea at present to put down in a post or two, but I've thought about going several different directions with how the events will affect players.

It's funny that you mentioned "heavy snowfall," and a scarcity of food. The first event ideas I had were spawned from the harshness of the 1805 winter and the trek through the Rockies. Rather than making food fueled cards more expensive, I initially thought of making food harder to gather. For example: "Count only the badges in front of you when collecting food until the winter is over (or "...until a new event is drawn)." But I also want to avoid only punishing players for playing the game as they're used to. So, the same event may also include something like this: On your turn, as your compulsory action, you may put 1 Indian from your Boats to the Powwow area and exchange 1 food for any two other primary resources. This would be similar to card #23 (Yellept), but far more limited and only until the next event comes into play.
(There, a preview )

Once I get the number of rounds checked off my list, I'll be better able to determine how I want the events to come out. I'll probably open other threads for the events themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ath3ist wrote:
...got my brain going...

Sounds like you've got some good ideas rattling around as well. I may hit you up for some of them later if you don't mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.