Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Buller
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
Oldschool
mbmbmbmbmb
So the question is in the headline, and there is ofcourse always an agument that it is always possible to do even better. But if we keep it at a fair level, what do you guys feel like they could have done better?. Personally im a little tired of the "bad guys" being under the same category basically. And I was pretty disapointed with the ones in the first set. The setting was great! An insane asylum in the 18th century was really the optimal setting for a horror version of this game which is my favorite genre by far. But zombie mutants... Really?.

It wendt from an aticipated psycko thriller to a splatter and pretty fast, the horrer feel died and it was just action based roll to kill zombie mutants. I guess its a question of prefference and I might be more into drawn out puzzles while other prefers action. But I just feel that it lacked a bit of feel. Perhaps it was because I was hoping for a hunt for an insane murderer who was killing people grusomly while we were trying to figure out who was the culprit instead of a hack and smash with the odd puzzle.

Just to finish off, I would like to point out that I really like the game and the way that it works, in fact I love the idea of what this game COULD BE. I just feel that it needs a bit more imagination to reach its full potential.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no doubt, now that the core mechanic has proven to work, the stories will get richer/deeper as things go along.

It must have taken a ton of energy to work on/perfect the system/game play and therefore there may have been bits to the story that didn't get as much attention while trying to make the game mechanic work.

They've broken new ground in the board gaming world and that should not go unnoticed. They could have spent years perfecting the story and there was never any real proof that the game would take in the marketplace. There is something called "minimal viable product" to make something work. And while I have loved the scenarios that they've put out, I strongly believe the best is yet to come.

It's like old movies - they get better at making them over time as the storytelling starts to take priority over to the process/equipment, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, it was the TU limit, particularly how overly-tight it was for the scenario. The fact that there's really only 1 valid path through it certainly doesn't help matters, particularly as it only takes a few small changes (move one item and add 5-10 TU) to triple the number of viable paths to complete the game (thus giving it a bit more replayability).

I haven't played any of the other scenarios yet, so I can't really speak to any issues with them, but that was my key issue with the Asylum scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrell Wood
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
For the first scenario I felt it was not too hot or too cold but just right! It sucks you in, establishes a base line and leaves you wanting more. Marcy case does the same. They just keep building up and up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
valle1 wrote:
I was pretty disapointed with the ones in the first set. The setting was great! An insane asylum in the 18th century was really the optimal setting for a horror version of this game which is my favorite genre by far. But zombie mutants... Really?.

The weird thing is: I've played the Asylum scenario, and I don't recall any zombies. I remember insane patients, evil orderlies/doctors, mythical creatures, Lovecraft-ish mutants, and diabolical cults. But no zombies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are my ideas for making the game better:

1) Each player is given a certain amount of money tokens at the beginning of the game.
2) Each player is given a player board along with a starting crop tile.
3) On a turn, a player chooses a role card from an available pool and carries out that action with a benefit. Then all other players in clockwise order may take that action, but without the bonus. The roles could be things such as Mayor, Craftsman, Captain, Builder, or Settler.
4) Players choose actions attempting to create an economic engine that focuses on producing crops for shipping or selling for extra money. Players earn prestige by shipping the crops they produce or investing in infrastructure (buildings).

I think these tweaks and changes would make TIME Stories a much better game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
Here are my ideas for making the game better:

1) Each player is given a certain amount of money tokens at the beginning of the game.
2) Each player is given a player board along with a starting crop tile.
3) On a turn, a player chooses a role card from an available pool and carries out that action with a benefit. Then all other players in clockwise order may take that action, but without the bonus. The roles could be things such as Mayor, Craftsman, Captain, Builder, or Settler.
4) Players choose actions attempting to create an economic engine that focuses on producing crops for shipping or selling for extra money. Players earn prestige by shipping the crops they produce or investing in infrastructure (buildings).

I think these tweaks and changes would make TIME Stories a much better game.

lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem is that something like this exists already

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jack Spirio wrote:

Pretty sure that's his point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
isellsunshine wrote:
Jack Spirio wrote:

Pretty sure that's his point.

I'm certain only he can say, but the impression I'd gotten was that he felt some of the changes suggested change the game so much that it becomes a completely different game. It's an argument I've heard many times, particularly in regards to adding more TU to create a more forgiving play experience, the common argument being that the tight TU limit is there in order to showcase the Time Looping mechanic by making it nigh-impossible to complete the game in a single run.

Or, I could be misreading his intent based on my own previous experiences, and he could be using a tongue in cheek way of saying the only way to make it better is to play something else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
This is fun.

But is it funner than the game fun?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
isellsunshine wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:
This is fun.

And could this have been even better?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
isellsunshine wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:
This is fun.

If you are referring to TIME Stories as it is now, then yes, definitely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.