Subject: ´What is an action (Patron) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Antti Kontio
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

with a short search I could not find an answer for this question.

I have Bar on the table already built
(When performing Patron action, you may take one additional client form the deck)

I finish Domus
(Upon completion you may perform one Patron action)

Will the bar activate from finishing Domus? Is the Patron action an action that is count only when leading or following?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would trigger on the completion of Domus. Any card the triggers on an "action" will trigger under any circumstances that action is performed. You don't even need to lead or follow - you might get the action from another building's effect (as per Domus) or you might get it from a client even if you thought instead of following.

The card will specify if it was necessary for you to have lead or followed (there's one in particular that does but the name eludes me at the moment).

/edit/

Circus Maximus requires you to have lead or followed a role in order to use the doubling of your client ability.

The language on the cards tends to be pretty specific about how and when abilities trigger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
To be more precise, it doesn't trigger on the completion itself. Performing a Patron action upon completion is optional. If you choose to do so, then the conditions of Bar apply.

In this specific example it's splitting hairs, as the Bar function adds to the Patron action. It may be relevant for a card that gives a different action. "If you perform a patron action, then in addition add a card to the Vault", for instance. In that case you can only do that if you actually performed the Patron action, not just because you got the option to do so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Whymme wrote:
In that case you can only do that if you actually performed the Patron action, not just because you got the option to do so.

Welllll....... That's not how I understand it, you can "perform" an action, but not really use it. You can take a Patron action, decline actually taking the client from the pool, then invoke the building with the after a Patron action power.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barticus88 wrote:
Whymme wrote:
In that case you can only do that if you actually performed the Patron action, not just because you got the option to do so.

Welllll....... That's not how I understand it, you can "perform" an action, but not really use it. You can take a Patron action, decline actually taking the client from the pool, then invoke the building with the after a Patron action power.

Yep. Just take a look at the example given for Aqueduct in the I.V rules. There's only one card in the pool and the player has 1 patron client. The rules show him taking a third (total, after having taken the 1 client from the pool and 1 from his hand for the first patron action) client from his hand for his second patron action.

Imagine the combo of Bath, Aqueduct and Bar as you potentially add 3 clients per patron action each of which performs its function as it is added to your clientele.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
OK. You guys are more experienced, so I'll abide by your opinions.

What triggered me was that, in the description of the Domus' ability, as quoted by the OP, the word 'may' was used. To me that indicated that it wouldn't trigger automatically, but by player's choice.

(and in my defense, not that I wasn't talking about actually adding cards to the clientele, just about 'performing the action' So that left the way open to perform the action without actually doing anything).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.