Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charles Dudgeon
United Kingdom
Stewarton, Scotland
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone of a certain vintage remember playing Pax Britannica out in the mid-1980s? TS seems to me in some ways to be a much more streamlined and playable PB. I loved PB but it took years to play and the rules were very leaky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McNaughton
United Kingdom
Derby
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both and have played both. I don't see much connection myself in mechanics but a little in theme.

Interested to know what connections you see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus StraƟmann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I own and played both as well, but a similarity never struck me.

That said, the similarities, as I see it, boil down to the following points:

- Major Powers try to gain influence in world wide regions;
- said regions are interconnected by a grid / network.

Now for the (main) differences (from Pax point of view):

- multiplayer (minimum 4, up to 7);
- no card driven mechanic (although there are events);
- negotiation between players is a major factor;
- several layers of influence in a region (from interest to possession);
- "micro level" units (armies / navies of several sizes);
- operations available depend on revenue gained from levels of influence;

I would concede there is a DEFCON-mechanic in Pax of some sort via the triggering of the Great War.

Basically, comparing Pax and TS seems to me like comparing Chess to Diplomacy. Other than having to overcome your opponent(s) by outmaneuvering him/them, by one means or the other, there is no real parallel. In other words, the similarities are on a very abstract level.

My 2ct

Marcus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J.
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Actually, YES. I noticed a similarity and have often daydreamed about designing a 21st Century version of Pax Britannica using a Twilight Struggle card mechanic.

I see a similarity in the theme of the great powers of the day competing for influence while avoiding Armageddon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Martin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I have a copy of Pax in the garage somewhere. No idea if the contents are complete or not. Never played it. I remember trying to set it up once and my friends and I decided that life was too short to mess with learning that. And this was when we were all in our early twenties. Now that I'm 45 and have a kid I don't think my free time has increased any.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.