Popular Tags: [View All]
Jared Manning
United States
Whitsett
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently acquired a copy of Arkham Horror, a game I've looked forward to owning/playing for many, many years. The Cthulhu Mythos is a favorite of mine, one that I'm always eager to try in game form. I've enjoyed other games that use the theme, so I expected Arkham Horror to be another welcomed addition to the genre.

Sadly, upon unpacking the game and actually attempting to play it, I was sorely disappointed.

The rules of Arkham Horror landed on me like a bus. While I anticipated some degree of complexity, I certainly wasn't prepared for the extreme difficulty of just trying to remember all of the rules, much less complete player turns and move the game along. I spent over three and a half hours trying to play the game, only completing about five turns between myself and my wife. I gave up after that, my brain fried at all of the rules, my eyes glazed over and bloodshot.

My wife sat there for the first hour, glaring at me... as if her eyes were saying "why are we trying to play a game that's so tedious and boring?" Soon enough, she just got up from the table and started watching a movie. There I was, left to play two characters because her patience with the game simply ran out.

I spent nearly forty five minutes unpacking the game and setting it up. That alone was a challenge in itself. The complexity wasn't necessarily in what the rules had me doing. More so, the difficulty was in the sheer plethora of rules I had to try to remember and perform correctly. I found myself forgetting steps every turn, having to search back through the rule-book (novella?) and correct my missteps. As the game dragged on, I found it harder and harder to sort out what I needed to do. What went where. How I rolled. Which card I must draw.

The final straw arrived. I was done. At the 3.5 hour mark, I just gave up. I sat there at my kitchen table, drowning in rules and game mechanic minutia, unable to even remember whose turn it was. Battered and broken, I placed the multitude of pieces back in the punch-boards and put everything away. My wife hugged me, knowing how sad I was with the experience.

The funny thing is that Arkham Horror accommodates the Cthulhu theme perfectly. Trying to play it drove me insane.

Those of you who have played Arkham Horror before... was my experience "normal"? Is this how the game is supposed to go? Are the rules meant to be tedious, almost to the point of mirroring busy work? Or, was I doing something wrong? I'd be curious to hear the perspective of others. I am tempted to trade Arkham Horror away, but then I would feel guilty for letting go of a game I've wanted for so long.

Your thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. That's what Arkham Horror is like...

Pete (doesn't think the rules are overly complex, but otherwise that's exactly his experience too)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
My job is not the day shift or the night shift, it's the always shift!
badge
I will chop your head off!
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkham Horror was my first purchase once I realized I was "in" the hobby. Maybe I had more patience back then, but I never understood why people had a difficult time learning the game. There are a lot of things to remember, but I think this is one of those games you just have to do a trial run or two with before you've grasped everything. Just treat it as an experience more than a game. If you get a rule wrong here or there, who cares? Having fun is the most important thing.

I would recommend shelving it for a week or so, and try returning to it with a fresh perspective. If you're still not feeling it, then maybe Eldritch Horror would be a better option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Johnson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My experience with Arkham Horror is also similar to yours. I really want to enjoy it, but I don't. "Tedious" is the right word for it, I'm afraid. (As an experienced gamer, I agree with others that the rules are not particularly complex; perhaps a better description would be "highly fiddly".)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Short answer is, Eldritch Horror is the new Arkham Horror.

That said, yeah, the rules can be flamboyant, but still pale in comparison to game with a "weight complexity" greater than 3.6 as specified here on BGG.

I've always let other people mod games/enforce rules. I'm too mellow and indifferent to really challenge folks on any possible rules mistakes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, first rule:

Make sure you know how to play before attempting to play with someone else.

Second rule:

Rule 1, ESPECIALLY IF IT'S YOUR WIFE.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Phelps
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
They call me Troll; Gnawer of the Moon, Giant of Gale-blasts, Curse of the Rain-Hall, Companion of the Sibyl, Nightroaming Hellion, Swallower of the Loaf of Heaven. What is a Troll but that?
mbmbmbmbmb

I would suggest using Universal Head's ARKHAM HORROR Rules Summary & Reference (which can be downloaded here):
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/22286/universal-head-arkh...

It takes you step-by-step through each turn and makes the game go much more smoothly.

When in doubt, consult the Head...Universal Head™©®(All Rights Reserved)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Maddalena
United States
Stafford
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a dated and clunky game, but ultimately more about the story. People are into games for different things, after all. You can do some light roleplaying within the framework of what the cards say, that sort of thing. The tons of STUFF make it a bear, but the base game alone wasn't too bad. Once you get a few expansions deep... good luck. You need a banquet table to fit the whole series.

I got rid of my set. Eldritch Horror is streamlined, offers enough of what Arkham does to feel right, yet stays pretty focused. You only pull out expansion boards when told specifically to do so (by Preludes or the GOO card), which is rare. There's a lot more clarity to the thing as a whole, and the card decks themselves aren't to completely unreasonable levels.

And Elder Sign is pretty incredible, too. Between these two, A Study in Emerald, and Cthulhu Wars, I wouldn't go any deeper into Lovecraftian boardgames (and DBGs) ... the cash cow it is has produced a lot of garbage, unless you just want the artwork.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark B
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of curiosity, what other games have you enjoyed that use the Lovecraft Mythos? I've not played Arkham, but I've really enjoyed the Witch of Salem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob cavallo
United States
roseland
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
get Eldritch Horror.

Much better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the bear
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
one of my first games i played. I hated it, I had even put it on my for trade list for a while. Because of the theme I gave it a second chance and I liked it much more. I played it a lot more after that, and it really started to grow on me. It's very much like my love for whisky. I didn't like, drank it when I had to, drank it sometimes, now I love it. I do think a lot of things/games become much better once you play them a lot, so I still think it's a fault of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L S
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had a similar experience with Arkham Horror. The first time I tried to play it, it was with two other players who were just learning the game, and it was such a disaster that we stopped midway through the game. My second game was with a group that was already familiar with the rules, but even though that definitely helped a lot, the game is still fiddly and unintuitive all the way through.

I'd recommend trying Eldritch Horror instead, which is essentially the same game but with streamlined rules (and a slight Indiana-Jones-esque feel on top of the Mythos theme).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cardboard Hustle
United States
Sharonville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mmmmm...delicious cheese coney...
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you had a genuine Arkham Horror experience to me. Sorry your expectations got shattered.

Seriously though, the suggestions to get Eldritch Horror are legit. Give it a shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious if anyone has play both the original Arkham Horror and the
current one and how the two compare.

When I was a teenager I learned about the original and at that time there wasn't a lot of Lovecraft at all (seriously it was a desert compared to the ocean that is Cthulhu games now) and I wanted it bad. But I wasn't able to get my hands on a copy and never got to try it out.

Flash forward many years and I've gotten into the hobby and learned about the current version and all I hear about it, is that it's a beast of a game. I presume it must differ quite a lot from the original?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Immortal Thanos wrote:
Battered and broken, I placed the multitude of pieces back in the punch-boards and put everything away.

wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Galton
Canada
Barrie
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I lucked out the first time I played Arkham Horror. Had a friend who was a diehard for the game so knew all the rules. Though after buying my own copy found the rules to be relatively simple to follow. I enjoy the game but it is definitely due to story/theme as opposed to mechanics or actual "gameplay".

Eldritch horror is definitely more streamlined with better gameplay but I'd say it feels too different from Arkham Horror to be classified as a better version. Both games have a spot on my shelf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
Roll for it
badge
I + I = 0
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldritch Horror is one of my favorite games ever. However, if you had such a miserable time with Arkham Horror, do not buy Eldritch Horror. I repeat this for emphasis: DO NOT buy Eldritch Horror. They are similar enough that you will likely be miserable all over again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
Roll for it
badge
I + I = 0
mbmbmbmbmb
venrondua wrote:
I'm curious if anyone has play both the original Arkham Horror and the
current one and how the two compare.

When I was a teenager I learned about the original and at that time there wasn't a lot of Lovecraft at all (seriously it was a desert compared to the ocean that is Cthulhu games now) and I wanted it bad. But I wasn't able to get my hands on a copy and never got to try it out.

Flash forward many years and I've gotten into the hobby and learned about the current version and all I hear about it, is that it's a beast of a game. I presume it must differ quite a lot from the original?

The original is much, much lighter. It is like comparing the original tiny 3 book D&D set to 5th Edition AD&D.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Gutierrez
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
"A pilot's greatest virtue is to know when to run" -- "What's this, a joke?"
mbmbmbmbmb
Meh. I hate to sound like a jerk, but it seems like you had a bad experience because you didn't learn the rules. I know everyone has different limits for complexity, but it should not take you three and half hours to run 2 investigators for 5 turns. Heck, with experience you can get the game finished in 4 or 5 hours.

I first got this game when I was teenager and was very used to complicated rules (rpgs) and found the game to a deep and rich experience. So much so that when Eldritch Horror was released, I found it to be a flat, boring, and repetitive experience. I sold Eldritch before its first expansion, but Arkham Horror has remained in my collection.

So, I'm sorry the game isn't for you, but if you find that one day your taste in games becomes more complex, I encourage you to give it another try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to like Arkham Horror. There's a neat game with a ton of variety hidden in its absurd number of decks of cards, but it's just a mess from a usability design standpoint. So many little rules, limits, and exceptions you have to memorize to play the game.

Have I hit the monster limit? Did I overlook a monster token hidden among the noisy board art and miscount? What about the outskirts? Am I at the limit there? What are the special movement rules for the monsters with different border colors? What's the order I'm supposed to carry out tasks on the mythos cards, and why isn't it simply top-to-bottom???

And then you spend such a disproportionate amount of play time just running the automatic events of the game, as opposed to carrying out your actions during a turn.

I have Arkham Horror, but I'd pretty much universally opt to play Elder Sign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
Download the Rules clarifications by Universal Head here on the site. Those will help you immensely.

Eldritch Horror is a similar feeling game with a better rules set. Make sure you get an expansion for it so you have more adventure cards as the scant few you get in the base set will repeat for you quite a bit.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan | In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Combat Commander series fan | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me! | Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
RingelTree wrote:
... the original tiny 3 book D&D set ...

Still the best version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's why I recommend Eldritch Horror over Arkham Horror in most cases.

It's often described as "the modernised and streamlined version of Arkham Horror", and for good reason. Arkham Horror is over 10 years old by now and it can't hide its age in terms of clunky game design.

Seriously, give Eldritch Horror a try.

The only real big difference between both games is in my opinion the atmosphere: while Arkham Horror feels more claustrophobic and darker because it takes place in a single city, Eldritch Horror delivers more of an adventure/horror experience -- which makes sense, considering the global scale and travels around the world.

If you read Lovecraft, you will agree that this is still very close to the source material (Call of Cthulhu, Mountains of Madness, ...). Speaking of scope, Eldritch Horror's stakes feel to be higher, since you are actually seeing and travelling the entire world you are desperately trying to save.

I taught Eldritch Horror to a group of non-gamers and the game was flowing without any input from me after 2 rounds (while I of course still handled the Mythos phase). Eldritch Horror will even appear in the upcoming season of Wil Wheaton's Tabletop web show, which should also give you a hint about the game's accessibility.

Geosphere wrote:
OK, first rule:

Make sure you know how to play before attempting to play with someone else.

Second rule:

Rule 1, ESPECIALLY IF IT'S YOUR WIFE.

Yes, this too.

UndeadViking wrote:
Eldritch Horror is a similar feeling game with a better rules set. Make sure you get an expansion for it so you have more adventure cards as the scant few you get in the base set will repeat for you quite a bit.

Try the base game first, there is enough variety for at least 4 (long) games here, which means hours of playtime. By this time, you should definitely know if you like the game enough to invest into expansions. The very first expansion Eldritch Horror: Forsaken Lore is a good starting point, as it mostly just adds variety to all card stacks while only introducing 2 new conditions. Since it's a small box expansion, the price is also relatively low.

Good luck !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Franzman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey! You don't know where that cursor has been!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's such a shame that, for the amount of time and effort people put into playing that clunky Arkham Horror, they could simply be playing Call of Cthulhu (6th Edition) instead for a much more enjoyable story-based night of entertainment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
Bokrug wrote:
It's such a shame that, for the amount of time and effort people put into playing that clunky Arkham Horror, they could simply be playing Call of Cthulhu (6th Edition) instead for a much more enjoyable story-based night of entertainment.

While I agree with you, finding someone willing to run the game might be difficult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.