Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Who thought double sided resource tokens was a good idea? Step forward now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Saxberg
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ScoobyG wrote:

This was a cost-saving decision, I believe. Having resources run out is obviously an annoying experience for gamers... if the resources are printed differently on both sides, that allows effectively twice as many of any given resource to be available, with no increased cost to manufacturing (and thus to the end user).

Your feedback is both noted and welcomed, however. Sorry if this is a frustrating decision for you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mind_ranger wrote:
ScoobyG wrote:

This was a cost-saving decision, I believe. Having resources run out is obviously an annoying experience for gamers... if the resources are printed differently on both sides, that allows effectively twice as many of any given resource to be available, with no increased cost to manufacturing (and thus to the end user).

Your feedback is both noted and welcomed, however. Sorry if this is a frustrating decision for you!

Ah yeah I figured this was the explanation, but yes this made the game a little frustrating. I guess we're super clumsy and all laugh but we did knock a few tokens over and that was no fun.

I do understand game publishing requires some tough decisions, I think I would have been happier with both sides having the same resource and a little note in the rule book "Resource tokens are unlimited. In the rare case you run out of a specific token, use a substitute." That said I've only played 2 player and I guess things probably get a lot tighter with 3 or 4.

Great game though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Palframan
United States
Jupiter
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Additionally, the fit of all the components in the box is tight already, doubling the sources would be impossible to fit back in the box!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Miller
United States
Hoover
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm not sure if this is in the rulebook or not...but I've always played where I take out one of each resource and line it up in a row away from the rest to show players what resources are out there, instead of trying to organize the pile. Then we just go through the pile when we need a resource. Isn't it more thematic to dig in a pile of rubble to find the gem you want anyway?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Musselman
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mitchellcmiller wrote:
I'm not sure if this is in the rulebook or not...but I've always played where I take out one of each resource and line it up in a row away from the rest to show players what resources are out there, instead of trying to organize the pile. Then we just go through the pile when we need a resource. Isn't it more thematic to dig in a pile of rubble to find the gem you want anyway?

That's how we played it too, and it worked fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd rather risk not having enough tokens in a nightmare scenario than have to deal with the annoyance of the two sided tokens.

Come to think of it, if shortages were a legitimate threat it might actually add an extra level of strategy to the game. You could hoard certain types of minerals and race to grab others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.